PDA

View Full Version : ADS - B Out

Sirota
06-24-2013, 06:33 PM
2020 is closer then you think. I'm struggling trying to figure out how to justify the cost of installing ADS-B Out for a $20,000 Cessna 140. From what I've read and heard, it will cost somewhere around $5,000 installed if you already have a panel mounted, IFR qualified GPS. Probably $10,000 of you don't. I know a lot of guys will just not fly where it will be required (anywhere a transponder is required today) but that's not an option for me. Plus, how do you install all that gear in the limited space of most of our antiques? What about the guys with restored planes that don't want to add all that modern looking equipment in a vintage panel.

Anybody else thinking about this? I'd sure like to hear your thoughs.

Dave

Floatsflyer
06-24-2013, 06:42 PM
Since the FAA is mandating them, then let them pay for them as well from all those new user fees they're going to be collecting over the coming years. Send them the invoice with a drop dead date for payment.

Bill
06-24-2013, 07:52 PM
2020 is closer then you think. I'm struggling trying to figure out how to justify the cost of installing ADS-B Out for a $20,000 Cessna 140. From what I've read and heard, it will cost somewhere around $5,000 installed if you already have a panel mounted, IFR qualified GPS. Probably $10,000 of you don't. I know a lot of guys will just not fly where it will be required (anywhere a transponder is required today) but that's not an option for me. Plus, how do you install all that gear in the limited space of most of our antiques? What about the guys with restored planes that don't want to add all that modern looking equipment in a vintage panel.

Anybody else thinking about this? I'd sure like to hear your thoughs.

Dave

Someone from Alabama said on this forum that he could fly just about anywhere in Alabama without the need for ADS-B (translation: its awfully flat there). Unfortunately, that's just not an option where we live. I'm building an experimental because it is the most economical way to comply with the upcoming FAA requirements (and more fun to boot!). I've flown airplanes that are older than I am, and enjoyed them, but I don't believe that they have much viability in the NextGen architecture that the FAA is implementing:(.

Bill Berson
06-24-2013, 08:44 PM
I think we may find some cheaper, smaller units from the UAV industry. Just wait a few years.
Of course, you might get a bill in mail every time you turn it on.

WLIU
06-25-2013, 06:07 AM
I will second the notion that the technology is not yet mature. If I were to start today it would be 3 - 4 years before a new box could get throught the regulatory process and into a customer's hands. So if we take a look at the time frame in which portable units that pickup the free data appeared, and think about those engineers working on certified-out units, in another couple of years there should be more choices at better price points. Or, like many FAA projects the whole system will be delayed, over budget, and the early adopters will not be rewarded for their costs. Anyone remember the MLS landing system?

I will suggest leaving space in your ship for a box and its antenna, but not spend any $$ yet. There are a LOT of airplanes out there that may need more equipment. Those owners vote and have a voice through EAA, AOPA, etc. The FAA will have a very hard time closing airspace to recreational flyers by mandating expensive technology.

Best of luck,

Wes
N78PS

Joe LaMantia
06-30-2013, 09:18 AM
Wes makes some good points. I'm a club flyer and we have two aircraft, a 1976 Archer and a 1958 TriPacer. We are still running "steam" gages in both aircraft and the original King radios in the Archer, but do have an old "Fly-Buddy" panel mounted GPS. Recently the old KT76 Xponder died in the Archer and we bought a new Mode-C Garmin unit. I suggested we look at replacing our number 1 radio with a Garmin 430, the prices on that model are falling so it's would be a nice upgrade and we could move the old "Fly-Buddy" into the TriPacer. The general consensus by the members is to keep our $ in the bank and wait and see how "Next-Gen " falls out and of course when. I bought a IPad and added Wings X Pro 7 to the Apps, its cheap, portable, and very powerful with lots of upgrades coming along. It's a good bet that all the ADS-B requirements will be late in coming and the longer it takes the more likely technology will move ahead with cost effective solutions.

Joe
:cool:

Mike M
06-30-2013, 06:21 PM
Someone from Alabama said on this forum that he could fly just about anywhere in Alabama without the need for ADS-B (translation: its awfully flat there). Unfortunately, that's just not an option where we live. I'm building an experimental because it is the most economical way to comply with the upcoming FAA requirements (and more fun to boot!). I've flown airplanes that are older than I am, and enjoyed them, but I don't believe that they have much viability in the NextGen architecture that the FAA is implementing:(.

Experimental? Leave out the generator, install solar panels and bigger batteries. No generator, no adsb required.

Frank Giger
07-02-2013, 05:36 AM
Flat compared to Colorado, perhaps, but the truth is that the Heart of Dixie just doesn't have towers at our airfields (look at Atlanta sectional some time and drift your eyes west of the ATL nightmare to the Adventure State).

:D