PDA

View Full Version : Fly Or Ride Warbirds?

Bill Greenwood
06-20-2013, 08:59 PM
The EAA website is advertising, "Fly the B-17 and Fly the Ford Tri Motor."

Is this correct, or misleading? Do you actually get to fly them or just ride as a passenger?

Not that a ride is not worthwhile on it's own, but I'd be more likely to pay if I got to fly.

Chris In Marshfield
06-21-2013, 07:48 AM
"Fly In" is more accurate :-) Passenger only.

Best regards,
Chris

martymayes
06-21-2013, 08:22 AM
When the Ford Tri Motor was in my town on tour, they advertised a right seat ticket on a limited basis. The local EAA guys who donated their efforts to work the rides all got a free right seat ride and got to manipulate the controls for a minute or two.

I'm with you, not really interested in a ride but I'd jump at a chance to fly it.

Hal Bryan
06-21-2013, 10:49 AM
The EAA website is advertising, "Fly the B-17 and Fly the Ford Tri Motor."

Hi Bill - if you get a second, give me a direct link to wherever you've spotted us saying that - I'll take that feedback to our Marketing VP.

Thanks!

Hal

Bill Greenwood
06-21-2013, 11:53 AM
Hal, I saw those two blurbs or ads yesterday, as for as I recall, most likely on the EAA hotline website.
It mentioned Aluminum Overcast and the Ford Tri Motor.
I have a little B-17 time, some with Collings who were very generous back in the good old days, as well as a bit with the CAF and one pattern of perhaps 45 seconds in the Tri Motor at Sun Fun.Talk about slow ailerons!

I'd love to get some more time at the controls.

I don't see that part on the site today.

Hal Bryan
06-21-2013, 12:00 PM
I got a generous amount of time in our Tri-Motor back when I was still at Microsoft and was doing research to model it in our simulator software. As you said, heavy slow ailerons! A joy, and, more importantly, a privilege to fly.

I'll ask around about the ads - but if you do come across them again, let me know just so I can be sure we're looking at and talking about the same thing.

Bill Greenwood
06-27-2013, 10:30 PM
Hal I just looked on the EAA hotline and the two promos that say "Fly" the B-17 and the Tri-Motor are on there now.It is about 10:30 pm Colorado time Thur night.

It is probably not a big thing for most people who are buying a flight ride, but something that I noticed.

Hal Bryan
06-28-2013, 08:57 AM
I see the spots you're talking about - while there are at least occasional opportunities available to get stick (wheel/yoke) time in both airplanes, these blurbs are focused primarily on rides vs. actual flight time. I'll pass your feedback along to the right people.

Thanks!

Hal