PDA

View Full Version : New Posts and Marking Read, web and/or Tapatalk

Jim Hann
06-18-2013, 08:56 AM
Hal,

I've noticed that on the other vBulletin boards I frequent that when I click "New Posts" or "What's New?" (board dependent) I get only the new threads I haven't read. On EAA I get the ones I've read already also. It bugs me more on Tapatalk when I haven't been on in a couple days and I have everything come back if I check for new posts. It isn't dire but the other style seems easier to me, or maybe it is just me! :cool:

Also, it seems that there is a timeout on EAA that will mark all the forums read even if I haven't read them but visited the board. Is that an option you configure or do we control that individually on our user CP?

Thanks, and hope to see you at OSH!

Jim

Jim Hann
10-22-2013, 09:18 PM
Hal,

I've noticed that on the other vBulletin boards I frequent that when I click "New Posts" or "What's New?" (board dependent) I get only the new threads I haven't read. On EAA I get the ones I've read already also. It bugs me more on Tapatalk when I haven't been on in a couple days and I have everything come back if I check for new posts. It isn't dire but the other style seems easier to me, or maybe it is just me! :cool:

Also, it seems that there is a timeout on EAA that will mark all the forums read even if I haven't read them but visited the board. Is that an option you configure or do we control that individually on our user CP?

Thanks, and hope to see you at OSH!

Jim
Hal, I'm still seeing these issues. Any ideas???

Jim

Hal Bryan
10-23-2013, 08:59 AM
Hi Jim -

I'm not seeing the Tapatalk behavior you're describing - in fact, I see something of the opposite, which may be causing the second issue you describe:

When I open Tapatalk and see the list of unread posts, even if I don't open or view them, they're marked as read, so when I come back to the site in a browser (on my PC or iPad, for instance), they're no longer highlighted as new/unread. This is pretty frustrating for me, but I haven't found a solution yet.

Also, note that our board has both the "What's New" and the "New Posts" link - you mentioned on other boards it's an either/or proposition - do both of them show both read/unread threads or does one of them behave in the way you'd expect?

Regards -

Hal

Jim Hann
10-24-2013, 12:38 AM
Hi Jim -

I'm not seeing the Tapatalk behavior you're describing - in fact, I see something of the opposite, which may be causing the second issue you describe:

When I open Tapatalk and see the list of unread posts, even if I don't open or view them, they're marked as read, so when I come back to the site in a browser (on my PC or iPad, for instance), they're no longer highlighted as new/unread. This is pretty frustrating for me, but I haven't found a solution yet.
Hal, you aren't seeing that behavior on Tapatalk because I'm not clear. The first problem was on my Dell XPS running Win7 and Chrome. I have not been home emoter to grab another computer and see if I is my ancient laptop or the site. It is still happening. Used to be when I read a thread it would no longer be bold but was still visible, on all the other boards they disappear. Now many times the thread won't even do that, they just stay bold.

The second one is frustrating but other boards I frequent don't do it. www.shortwingpipers.org is one that when I go back later it shows the older posts as "no new posts since your last visit but still unread" or something similar.

Also, note that our board has both the "What's New" and the "New Posts" link - you mentioned on other boards it's an either/or proposition - do both of them show both read/unread threads or does one of them behave in the way you'd expect?

Regards -

Hal
Each board is slightly different. The "What's New" shows the activity, not the new posts. Doesn't matter to me. I think one board only has a "What's New" button that shows unread posts. I'm fine with any of the configurations.

Jim
PS, if I don't make sense it is 2:30 am in Louisville and my day started in Taipei 20 odd hours ago. My apologies.

Jim Hann
10-24-2013, 02:25 AM
I've got some screenshots I'll upload when I remember how. Brain is shutting down, awake too long.

FlyingRon
10-24-2013, 07:14 AM
WHATS NEW and NEW POSTS are different functions in vBulletin. I really detest the former, though I offer both features on my other site. WHATS NEW is not user specific, it just shows what's happened recently on the board. It's only real advantage if you are using other vBulletin content features than forum posts, those are also included.

NEW POSTS works fine and so does the UNREAD in TAPATALK. Doesn't seem to exhibit the problem you are describing.

One feature I wish vBulletin had that TAPA does do is when you go to the thread that you've read before that it positions you at the first post in the thread you haven't seen.

I've not loaded in VB 5 yet (though I have it downloaded. I'm going to have to play with that. But my other site has many times the readership of eaaforums, so I have to be very careful in rolling out changes.

Jim Hann
10-25-2013, 01:45 AM
NEW POSTS works fine and so does the UNREAD in TAPATALK. Doesn't seem to exhibit the problem you are describing.
No, Tapatalk is fine except that I was happy with the old version. Why must programmers change things?

Jim Hann
10-30-2013, 09:14 PM
I've got some screenshots I'll upload when I remember how. Brain is shutting down, awake too long.
I was so tired I forgot I posted this. Here is what I was talking about Hal:

Hal Bryan
10-31-2013, 07:31 AM
Thanks for the clarity with the screenshot, Jim - that helps.

That said, it's tough for me to try to reproduce the behavior, since I'm always logged in to the forums, so there is no real concept (for me, specifically) of my "last visit." As far as I can tell, ours is operating basically the way that the Short Wing Pipers forum does, and there is literally nothing in the vBulletin manual that I've found that addresses this functionality - in other words, I can't find any settings that we might have set differently, etc.

FlyingRon - if you have any additional insight, I'd appreciate it...?