PDA

View Full Version : D Day and Some Of The Coolest Vets

Bill Greenwood
06-06-2013, 07:49 PM
Today, June 6th is the anniversary of D Day, the combined Allied invasion of Europe on the beaches of France at Normandy.

It was one of the most important days in the war, perhaps up there with when the Russians stopped the Nazis on the outskirts of Moscow or was it Stalingrad.

When the Allies successfully got a foothold on the beaches and began to move inland, it wasn't the end of the war in Europe, but it led to the end.

We celebrate all the vets, but just from an emotional standpoint I have some vets that are a favorite, and it is the airborne troops.
I think it was back in 1994, or 2000, not really sure of the year, that the celebration was very large and covered by many news organiztions and many vets and groups went to Normandy to join in.

One such vet group was dozens of men who had parachuted into Normandy that day. Of course, these men were mostly in their 70s or even 80s, but they wanted to recreate history and do the jump again, using the same type equipment and uniforms and even modern military style round chutes. At first the U S govt and military was for this and was even going to supply jump planes. But then someone said, Oh no, these guys are too old and someone might get hurt or killed and we can't do it.
I am not sure, but it seems to it was either Clinton or Bush as president stlll would not back these guys.

Anyway these old men, stood up and told the U S govt, the Pres, and the military to keep their nose out of their business and that they were going to jump anyway.
I recall one of the oldest vets, saying that he was 83 or whatever and even if he did get killed he didn't have that many years left, that this invasion in '44 was the most important thing he had done in his life and that this was what he wanted to do again. And they all pointed out with infailable logic, that if they could jump into combat area in 1944 they could certainly do it again with no one shooting at them or the planes.
And of course the French people gave these men the welcome they deserve, after they were back on the ground, as well as all the other vets who visited Normandy then.
I think they got some owners to volunteer a few C-47s and off they went. I would love to meet some of these guys and we should have a recognition for them at Airventure.

And they did it, and I think there was only a sprained ankle among them.

Waynes56
06-06-2013, 11:51 PM
Pretty cool Bill these people of WW2 are the ones who made us what we are today.My father was drafted in in 45 and I am still proud that he was willing to go and do his patriotic duty even though he didn't see a lot of action.

WLIU
06-07-2013, 12:59 PM
A friend made the jump into St Mere Eglise in 1944, and then for the 25, 35, and 40 year commemoration events. As I recall, Carl reported that for the 25th, the French Army provided the gear and the jump aircraft. I recall that in later year events, the age of some of the troopers started to be a concern and the jumps have been made using tandem parachute gear. The military does not use that gear for troop drops so civilian tandem masters and aircraft were used.

I was at Ft Bragg for an event last weekend and I was told that in the years between the major anniversaries, some of the current 82nd airborne troopers participate in the annual rememberance.

If there is one place in France where they still love Americans, its is St Mere Eglise.

There is a museum in town with artifacts from the battle. They now have the Nazi battle flag from the German General that commanded the forces there. How they got that flag is an interesting story.

A friend of mine did a tour in P38 photo recon and then turned around and did a tour in C-47's attached to the 82nd Airborne. On the night of June 6, Ben dropped Gen Gavin into St Mere Eglise. As they were flying across the water towards France, the General's Adjudant poked his head into the cockpit and reported "the General said to ask whether you want a souvenier." Ben, being a mere 1Lt was startled by the question and after a moment, replied "get me one of those flags", thinking about the small personal flags some soldiers carried. The Adjudant dissappeared and a while later came forward again and said "the General says he'll get you a flag!".

Ben and his crew delivered the General and returned to base. A few weeks later, a package arrived. Ben opened it, not really expecting much. To Ben's surprise, the package contained the 15'x25' Nazi flag from the German General's HQ, captured by General Gavin. Ben packed the flag away for the next 40 years.

A few years ago Ben visited St Mere Eglise as a tourist. Visiting the museum, the locals became very friendly when the staff learned that Ben had been part of the events. Ben mentioned his story. The staff asked whether Ben might be willing to donate his flag, to which Ben assented. When Ben got back home he shipped them the flag, which is on display.

I will note that Gen Gavin started a tradition that is followed to this day. The commander is the first out the door during an airborne drop. Not sure about the 173rd's jump into Iraq but as recently as Operation Urgent Fury into Grenada, the CO of the 1st Ranger Battalion was the first man out the door. So there are people out there doing their best to live up to the example of the "Greatest Generation."

Fair Winds,

Wes
N78PS