PDA

View Full Version : Archie Donahue, Corsair Pilot

Bill Greenwood
06-04-2013, 05:45 AM
The May/June issue of FLIGHT JOURNAL has a feature on Corsairs and pilots who flew them in the war. One of these aces is Col Donahue, USMC ret.
I met Archie when I first went into the CAF and he was active there. It carried an extra weight to be getting flight advice from someone like him who had done it when it was real, back when our country was and should have been at war, and a lot of young men risked all and some gave all.

I am no great formation pilot, but my first formation card sign off is from Archie. I'll always remember that photo flight, with Jackie Lee Gaulding, Carl Payne, and Howard Pardue. We went pretty much due south from Harlingen, and my eyes were pretty wide, and I was having a good time, till a ways into the flight it dawned on me that we were on the wrong side of the border. None of the other guys seemed too worried about it. but I went north asap. I am pretty sure that it doesn't take too long at, say 200 knots, to run out of Texas if you head south from Harlingen, and while they have fishing boats in Texas I don't think they are painted all those bright colors like the ones that we were passing over.

Man, warbirds and the CAF in particular were fun back in those days with those type guys. The food fight, or more accurately the rolls and wet napkins aerial bombardment at the Mexican restaurant that night was something new to me also. These guys, along with Jay Cullum especially were like big kids in a adult exterior, and they were very welcoming to me as a new guy. And they could and did all fly well. They were serious in the air when it was time to be, but once back on the ground they sure new how to enjoy life.

Sadly, they are mostly gone now, but they left a big shadow, and are fresh as ever in my memory, and my gratitude at having the chance to know them.

champ driver
06-06-2013, 05:21 AM
A great story Bill. I'm sure it was a lot easier to have fun and get away with things back then. It's good you have some great memories of some great guys.