PDA

View Full Version : Which Battery to Install?

eaajen
05-29-2013, 07:39 AM
Hello all,

I own an S-LSA, and I think I'll replace the battery.

Am I required to replace it with the same make/model/part# ? I have looked, and I don't see the same manufacturer or part# available.

And if I do replace it with another one that's supposed to be as good or better, do I need a letter of authority for it? Or is using another battery one of those things that's okay?

Thank you

Jen

Mike Switzer
05-29-2013, 08:00 AM
Look at the pdf on this page & see if your aircraft is listed. I only use Concorde, our club has had nothing but trouble with Gill.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/concordeappchart.php

Cyclone-Aviator
05-30-2013, 11:01 PM
Hello all,

I own an S-LSA, and I think I'll replace the battery.

Am I required to replace it with the same make/model/part# ? I have looked, and I don't see the same manufacturer or part# available.

And if I do replace it with another one that's supposed to be as good or better, do I need a letter of authority for it? Or is using another battery one of those things that's okay?

Thank you

Jen

Jen,

Whether you use a Gill or Concorde, the same size batteries are equivalent. It is generally who has the better price when you are ready to buy. Unlike Mike, I have had good luck with both brands for my customers. I have been converting my customers to the maintenance free batteries as they come up for replacement. A lot less aggravation. I highly recommend you purchase a Battery Minder for your new battery. I think you will find that your battery will last a whole lot longer than it did without one. One word of caution when using a Battery Minder if your battery is other than maintenance free, make sure your battery compartment has ventilation.

Mike Switzer
05-31-2013, 09:51 AM
I agree on the maintenance free battery - I use a Concorde RG-35AXC in our 182, I just bought a new one because some club members were getting nervous about the age, but other than being toward the lower end of the load test scale the 5 year old battery is fine.