PDA

View Full Version : Have You Really Mastered Rolls?

WLIU
05-25-2013, 09:49 AM
For those of us who think we are pretty good and doing slow rolls on heading and on altitude, Coach John Morrissey created the drill that appears below. You can treat the roll symbols that point up as left rolls and the roll symbols that point down as right rolls, or vice versa. Much harder to do on heading and on altitude than it looks. :)

Enjoy,

Wes
N78PS

dreamcatcher43
09-02-2013, 07:24 PM
For the Citabria figures 8, 9 and 12 are bit of a challenge but I am plenty able to get the rest. honestly, I haven't really worked on 8 points in the Citabria as it's roll rate is so darn slow. Having said that and knowing how John would reply, I'll figure it out.

Mark

WLIU
09-03-2013, 12:19 PM
Sounds like you have met John. Perhaps you have earned an equipment upgrade?

Best of luck,

Wes
N78PS

cyav8r
09-04-2013, 07:32 PM
Mark can see what John thinks of his rolls this weekend. I'm sure John and Linda will be helping at the Newton contest this weekend. Pretty much in Mark's backyard :)

dreamcatcher43
09-05-2013, 05:42 AM
Very true Paul, they will be there. We've got the box markers out and the preparations are fully under way. It looks like the weather is going to cooperate and I don't have to work. The Laser hasn't made much progress since April but it is close to flying. I'm assuming you guys will be coming down.

cyav8r
09-05-2013, 03:06 PM
Yup, leaving here in the morning, hope to be there early to get some box time since I have not flown the known since the Seward contest in June. FWIW, my Giles isn't much further along either...day job keeps getting in the way.

dreamcatcher43
09-17-2013, 07:12 PM
What a great weekend we had. I did get some decent scores on my rolls from both John and Linda despite starting from about 85 mph. I was really happy with all three of my flights. Been out working on the roll drill. Still having troubles with figures 8 and 9 but progressing.

I did get my tail out to the shop on the Laser as well. Just about have the ailerons redone with the correct balance and new spades.

dreamcatcher43
06-06-2014, 09:35 PM
Well the Laser is now flying. Heading out tomorrow if the weather permits and will start working on these drills again.

AcroGimp
07-08-2014, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the Morrisey Drill Wes, I recently gained access to a fun little 7KCAB Citabria and will add this to my practicing! At least, as much of it as I can safely get the Citabria to fly (the 8 pts might be tough).

'Gimp

dreamcatcher43
07-09-2014, 04:41 PM
Piece of cake with enough practice. But the 7KCAB will tucker you out, specially without spades. I found point rolls very difficult to do well with the Citabria until installing them. The first two points not so bad, but the third is tough due to the dihedral and stomping the top rudder. Getting the opposite aileron in quick enough is a bit of a chore.

AcroGimp
07-09-2014, 08:18 PM
Piece of cake with enough practice. But the 7KCAB will tucker you out, specially without spades. I found point rolls very difficult to do well with the Citabria until installing them. The first two points not so bad, but the third is tough due to the dihedral and stomping the top rudder. Getting the opposite aileron in quick enough is a bit of a chore.Mark thanks for chiming in - the 7KCAB I am flying does have spades, can't imagine how bad it would be without them. Had a bad practice session today, forgot to set trim before I got into my figures and it blew my whole feel for the day, couldn't get enough forward stick, wouldn't hold level inverted, dished out of slow rolls, blew my confidence so after a 45 degree up/downline exercise I called the flight early (no sense practicing once you aren't feeling it) and went back and shot touch and goes instead.

How is the Lazer?

'Gimp