PDA

View Full Version : Mouse Pee and Poop inside my Aluminum Wing

Rustyjetta
05-04-2013, 10:42 AM
Recently I found the “Mother of all Mouse Nests “ Inside my Aluminum Wing.

I removed the Nest / Condominium, but I am left with a film of Dust, Pee and Poop.

What is the best way to clean up the droppings? And then how the area should be treated to prevent corrosion?

Do I flush the Area with Fresh Water from a garden hose ? Or will this cause even more problems.

Thanks to all

Joe Delene
05-04-2013, 02:08 PM
I would clean it up the best you can, then go over the area with a rag dampened with 'Corrosion X' or something similar. Access may be an issue, sounds like you can get to it O.K.. At least an oily rag.

Secondary, you need some type of pest control. I use a pet proof 'bait house' on the edge of the hangar wall, poison inside. After I bought my plane the A&P commented on older rodent sign inside the door panels, before my ownership.

Even if it doesn't seem the case, mice & rats are on the move every night. I moved a wooden shelf just the other week, & under was a Norway Rat that had died about a year ago.

Kyle Boatright
05-04-2013, 02:35 PM
Clean it up with soap and water. Then inspect to see if there is any corrosion present. If so, use a scotchbright pad to remove the corrosion, wash again, alodine, and prime to prevent more corrosion.

martymayes
05-04-2013, 06:41 PM
Clean it up with soap and water.

x2. Wash it with mild soap and lots of water. Rinse well with lots more water. Then go fly to dry it out Should be good to go.

FunInAviation
05-05-2013, 05:37 AM
This is good, although a little stinky, solution to mice and rats:

http://www.ask.com/question/do-mothballs-repel-rats

Kurt Flunkn
05-05-2013, 07:42 PM
I'm a big fan of Corrosion X. FAA also has available AC 43-4A for corrosion control at:

http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/advisory_circulars/index.cfm/go/document.information/documentID/22583

CAVU Mark
05-11-2013, 08:58 PM
Did it look like this?2969

Rustyjetta
05-12-2013, 07:05 AM
The mouse nest was not as big as the one shown in the picture ... but it was a pain in the butt to get removed. Thanks to all that posted !

Bill Greenwood
05-12-2013, 08:28 AM
The urine might be acidic, and if so it would be good to use a mild basic solution before the final rinse to neutralize. A little baking soda in water would do that.

Bob Dingley
05-12-2013, 08:54 AM
I had the Bobby Likis car care radio call in show tuned in. A caller asked how to prevent mice from chewing wireing under the hood of a parked car. Bobby said liquid peppermint available at the drug store was an effective deterant.

Bill Greenwood
05-12-2013, 09:01 AM
Believe it or not, rabbits will also eat wiring on a car. I have seen it happen to cars parked here in Boulder. Once I came back after being away from the airport for a week and opened the hood to check the oil and the rabbit was in the engine compartment!
The tv news also said people at Denver Int airport were having the same thing happen, and the shop said they have often seen this. Must be some tough bunny to chew up an ignition wire, but I have seen the results.

CAVU Mark
05-12-2013, 09:06 AM
Re: Photo. That wing was resting in field for years. A few of the wing bays were field with these rats nests. Obviously we removed the skin and then proceeded with a power wash and non-corrosive soap. Corrosion-x was fogged in later. This is a Museum TBM-3e. The TBM is a big plane!

skyranger
06-14-2013, 08:35 PM
You don't treat corrosion. You eliminate corrosion. Then, go by the manuals for proper repair.

Joe Delene
06-20-2013, 10:55 AM
I've got a mystery critter in the hangar, he's been into my mouse poison, and back for more. I stepped up pest control measures.