PDA

View Full Version : Beech 17 Staggerwing drawings?

brinesharks
03-23-2013, 01:33 AM
Does anyone know if Staggerwing drawings are available at all? I know they exist but it appears they are tightly controlled. This website has them offered for sale on CD:http://www.aircraft-manuals.com/bemo17staibl.htmlHowever the price is astronomical for a CD. I bought some drawings from the same site years ago (for a different aircraft) and they were only around $50 from memory. I assume a US museum would have them as the seller says they are from microfilm.

FlyingRon
03-23-2013, 07:13 AM
The Smithsonian will have them provided you promise not to build an airplane from them (wink, wink).

http://airandspace.si.edu/research/arch/collections/techdraw.cfm

Of course depending on how much you are asking to reproduce. The prices are in that link.

brinesharks
03-25-2013, 09:26 PM
The Smithsonian will have them provided you promise not to build an airplane from them (wink, wink).

http://airandspace.si.edu/research/arch/collections/techdraw.cfm

Of course depending on how much you are asking to reproduce. The prices are in that link.

Thanks FlyingRon. Of course I won't build an plane from them - you would have to be crazy to do something like that....

I'll check out what NASM have. I heard a rumour that the Beech museum were the only repository and they won't let any sets of drawings out unless you own a Staggerwing.

brinesharks
04-06-2013, 04:17 AM
Had a look at the NASM site. They don't seem to list the Staggerwing in their main drawings list. I think the drawings are actually on microfilm. I'll write to them and request a search in their archives. If I get an answer I'll post here and let people know.

JimRice85
04-06-2013, 09:21 AM
Have you tried the Staggerwing/Beech museum in Tullahoma, TN?

captgrizz
05-02-2013, 05:23 PM
The folks that designed the Lionheart may be able to tell you where to access a set of drawings.

rwanttaja
05-02-2013, 08:25 PM
The folks that designed the Lionheart may be able to tell you where to access a set of drawings.
The Lionheart may have been a look-alike, but I doubt the structural details were that similar. Probably zero parts interchangability.

Ron Wanttaja

martymayes
05-03-2013, 07:06 AM
Does anyone know if Staggerwing drawings are available at all? This website has them offered for sale on CD: However the price is astronomical for a CD.

~$2900? lol, yup sound expensive but if there is enough information to build the plane, it's only ~2% of the total costs?

martymayes
05-03-2013, 07:09 AM
The Lionheart may have been a look-alike, but I doubt the structural details were that similar. Probably zero parts interchangability.

For sure, fiberlass/carbon fiber/nomex core composite vs. steel tube/wood/fabric. The Lionheart is probably less complicated, easier to build, lighter, more room inside, better performance, and cost less to build.

captgrizz
05-03-2013, 10:24 AM

Ron Wanttaja

Ron I was simply thinking that I recalled that the designers of the Lionheart had said they had studied the Staggerwing and considered its shortcomings before starting the design of the Lionheart. It is true that there are no interchangeable parts as the Lionheart is a carbon graphite construction aircraft and a bit larger than the Staggerwing.

John Sommerfeld
07-27-2013, 11:31 PM
Ron: Several years ago William Wylam made some very detailed plans of the Staggerwing that were published in Model Airplane News. These plans are a good start as they are accurate and show many construction details. If you contact me at jdsomm1@gmail.com I will scan my copies for you. I will be attending AirVenture through August 2, so please wait until I return. You can also find books of Wylam plans on eBay which may contain the Staggerwing drawings.