PDA

View Full Version : National Aerobatic Championships - Globally

AndyNZ
03-23-2013, 01:18 AM
Hi all,

The NZ Nationals have come to a close for another year, as we say goodbye to summer one more time.
I put together a short video review of the event. Enjoy.

Andy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_3EJ0kDDkE

RetroAcro
03-23-2013, 03:49 PM
Nice video Andy. Criticism alert... :-) For an aerobatic contest, I would much rather see flying footage of some of the normal program flights, not the 4-minute Free stuff. Seems even most of the video out there of the Worlds is of the 4-minute flights. There's plenty of smoke, torque roll, and tumble footage out there, and very little of normal competition. But I guess showing footage from the normal program flights would bore most folks to death. :-) Not trying to be a buzzkill - I did like the video. :-)

Eric

AndyNZ
03-24-2013, 03:20 AM
Nice video Andy. Criticism alert... :-) For an aerobatic contest, I would much rather see flying footage of some of the normal program flights, not the 4-minute Free stuff. Seems even most of the video out there of the Worlds is of the 4-minute flights. There's plenty of smoke, torque roll, and tumble footage out there, and very little of normal competition. But I guess showing footage from the normal program flights would bore most folks to death. :-) Not trying to be a buzzkill - I did like the video. :-)

Eric

Yeh I definately agree! Problem I have is following the aeroplanes above 1500 AGL with the sun glare as well and looking at a screen, so differcult, the footage that I did get is just not clear enough. I think some of the guys ran on-board cameras though. That camera on our S2A was just a very tacky setup and only used for practice. I want to run a couple of cameras, properly set up in our S1 (when it is finished). The footage could look quite neat at the end. Will see how we get on over the winter. :)

cheers
Andrew

AcroGimp
04-10-2013, 02:51 PM
I am with Eric, while I love a good 4-minute free, that is the exception rather then the rule for most contests - of course we have a few Advanced/Unlimited pilots here in SoCal so we do get them even at the local contests.

Getting to see the up-and-comers, the newbies like myself, and the old-hats flying the knowns and unknowns is the real bread-and-butter of competition - and it is also where, along with videoing our practice flights, that we as competitors learn.

Great stuff!

AndyNZ
04-11-2013, 12:41 AM
I am with Eric, while I love a good 4-minute free, that is the exception rather then the rule for most contests - of course we have a few Advanced/Unlimited pilots here in SoCal so we do get them even at the local contests.

Getting to see the up-and-comers, the newbies like myself, and the old-hats flying the knowns and unknowns is the real bread-and-butter of competition - and it is also where, along with videoing our practice flights, that we as competitors learn.

Great stuff!
I know what you guys mean. There were a few short clips in one of the FAI videos, where you saw an unlimited pilot do a 3/4 snap on a downline, in the box, and it is such neat footage. You can clearly see the box and everything.
It is something we will work on down our way during our training camps over the winter. :)

Have a great flying summer folks.

cheers
Andy