PDA

View Full Version : Camguard Question?

Bill Greenwood
03-01-2013, 06:40 PM
I just replaced the valve lifters in my Cont TSIO 520 engine in my Bonanza.
I ordered a pint of Camguard oll additive, to give it a try.
But a glitch has popped up.
The bottle says " FAA approved for all piston engines". However there is an asterisk and when you look up the footnote it says "approval pending for turbocharged engines."
I phoned the company , but they are closed for the weekend.

Does anyone have direct experience with this in a turbo engine?
Is there any real negative effect in turbos?

Or is this just that the demo has not been completed in the turbo engines?

Thanks

Wilfred
03-02-2013, 08:05 PM
Approved by the FAA only means they don't believe it will harm the engine....beyond that there is no implication that will help anything either.

Tom Downey
03-02-2013, 11:23 PM
Cam Guard is a very good product, and it will not harm your turbo paper work or not.

Simply put,,,,,, it turns you oil into a EP oil with corrosion preventive additives.

Mike Switzer
03-02-2013, 11:29 PM
After seeing the before & after oil sample tests in our 182 I wouldn't run an engine without using camguard. Since most turbo aero engines are only turbo-normalized I can't imagine what difference it would make whether the engine was turbocharged or not.

Mike Switzer
03-02-2013, 11:31 PM
By the way, the automotive version of their product is very popular in the racing world. Lots of turbo engines in the sports car crowd.

Bill Greenwood
03-03-2013, 12:04 AM
Wilfred, I don't know whether it will help my engine or not, but if not I have only spent $25; and there is not much to lose since the lifters wore out when I wasn't using the additive.Now if it harms the turbo in some way, that is another story.Mike, my engine is a factory turbo, it wiil boost manifold pressure above sea level normal, it is not just turbo normalized. I don't see or know if that would make any difference.

cub builder
03-04-2013, 05:55 PM
Since most turbo aero engines are only turbo-normalized I can't imagine what difference it would make whether the engine was turbocharged or not.

The difference isn't that it makes a difference to your engine, but whether it will inhibit lubrication of the bearings and seal in the turbo itself as they are quite different from the rest of the engine and have different heat and lubrication requirements. Having said that, I can't imagine CamGuard would hurt your turbo. In this case, give the company a call now that it's Monday. I can't imagine that a day or two before adding it would make a huge difference as it is most helpful as a corrosion inhibitor for engines that don't run a lot.

-CubBuilder

1TJ
01-16-2014, 02:35 PM
I just replaced the valve lifters in my Cont TSIO 520 engine in my Bonanza.
I ordered a pint of Camguard oil additive, to give it a try.
But a glitch has popped up.
The bottle says " FAA approved for all piston engines". However there is an asterisk and when you look up the footnote it says "approval pending for turbocharged engines."
I phoned the company , but they are closed for the weekend.

Does anyone have direct experience with this in a turbo engine?
Is there any real negative effect in turbos?

Or is this just that the demo has not been completed in the turbo engines?

Thanks

While Camguard is not technically approved for use in turbocharged engines (an FAA personnel ego), it is very helpful for the turbo and the engine at preventing deposits. And one third of our sales are for turbocharged engines. Mike Busch is of the belief that the approval is just a demonstration that a product will do no harm, but it is not a requirement. The Continental Service Center is now a Camguard dealer and states that Camguard will not void the engine warranty.

Ed

1600vw
01-16-2014, 03:32 PM
Running a VW powered airplane I use Camguard in every oil change. Not sure what the guys running Continentals do. I know nothing of aviation oil and its uses.

Tony