PDA

View Full Version : Accelerated sport pilot flight training recomenditions

polar
03-01-2013, 03:44 AM
Hi all,

After googling sport pilot flight school and seeing the overwhelming results, I came to the forum instead. I searched here and found positive recomenditions to Lockwood, Stewarts aircraft, and Blue Ridge sport flight.
Myself and fellow mechanics live in Alaska and can travel but would prefer to go to a flight school with a accelerated program as good as the above mentioned schools, just a little closer to home. If Lockwoods or Stewarts are your recomenditions then so be it but ugh that's a long ride. Jobs, and family are the reason we need to accomplish the training in a accelerated format. We have completed 1 of 3 scratch built CH-701s and expect the next one to be completed in late spring. We have started the book work and plan to be ready for the written before flight training.
Good flying weather (April/may), great instruction, accelerated training are what we want most and if it's a little closer to Alaska thats a bonus. Based on what I've read I'm hoping for a two week program.
A good recomendition of a flight school is more important than a flashy web page to me and would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou

Dave

RV8505
03-01-2013, 09:17 AM
Hi all,

After googling sport pilot flight school and seeing the overwhelming results, I came to the forum instead. I searched here and found positive recomenditions to Lockwood, Stewarts aircraft, and Blue Ridge sport flight.
Myself and fellow mechanics live in Alaska and can travel but would prefer to go to a flight school with a accelerated program as good as the above mentioned schools, just a little closer to home. If Lockwoods or Stewarts are your recomenditions then so be it but ugh that's a long ride. Jobs, and family are the reason we need to accomplish the training in a accelerated format. We have completed 1 of 3 scratch built CH-701s and expect the next one to be completed in late spring. We have started the book work and plan to be ready for the written before flight training.
Good flying weather (April/may), great instruction, accelerated training are what we want most and if it's a little closer to Alaska thats a bonus. Based on what I've read I'm hoping for a two week program.
A good recomendition of a flight school is more important than a flashy web page to me and would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou

Dave

Go to Florida and go to a Part 141 flight school. The up front costs are higher but in the long run it is much cheaper and alot quicker. Part 91 flight schools are slow and drag out terribly.I could go on and on about why I won't go to a part 91 flight school.

Check 6
03-01-2013, 12:01 PM
Part 141 does not provide for Sport Pilot training, only recreational pilot and above.

Bill Greenwood
03-01-2013, 01:17 PM
I went to Flightsafety in Vero Beach for my instrument rating.
I chose it partly because it was advertised to use simulators and also that they trained airline pilots. I was too easily impressed.
The airline pilots were mostly because they were the low bidder for Saudi Arabia. Young Saudies would come with no training and 6 months later they were legal to be a first officer in their country. I don't think the ones I saw were very good.
F S had Frasca simulators, but would not let us basic students use them.
All in all, I think the training was not up to the high prices they charged.
i have heard that the jet sim training in Witchita is good, but again expenisve.

I would look for a school that gives you a guarantee for a set price, like a few will, and not an open ended drain on your accounts.

Also, you might as well go somewhere that is nice to visit since you won't be flying every minute, and good weather will give you more chances to fly.

No matter where you go, the important thing is to go and do it.

Good luck, Bill

Chick
03-01-2013, 01:34 PM
Lockwood, in Sebring was great! They have a special deal with Four Points hotel which is right on the track created by taking part of the runways from the original airbase. They were very professional and thorough. Everyone there is completely committed to you being a safe and successful pilot. The workload is heavy; but, no pilot is going to complain about flying 3-5 hours a day. I do recommend having your ground school done before hand. I can't say enough about what a wonderful program they have.

polar
03-02-2013, 10:52 PM
Thanks Chick for the reply. I was afraid of that. I sure wanted someone to give some glowing review of a accelerated sport pilot school a litter closer to home. the jet lag is going to kill me.

Dave

jedi
03-03-2013, 06:20 AM
You might consider Snohomish Flying Service in the Seattle area. If this is a contender get back to me before commiting. www.snohomishflying.com/ I am not sure of the status of their Light Sport. Realize that all training need not be in a Light Sport. The light sport is only required for the check ride familarity and the final event. Weather in April/May may be an issue. I may have another option in the general area.

Check 6
03-03-2013, 07:27 AM
Rainbow Aviation in Corning, California offers flight training in LSA. There are between Redding and Chico.

http://www.rainbowaviation.com/

polar
03-28-2013, 11:09 PM
Thanks a lot for the help guys. After calling around and speaking with several flight schools I went with Lockwood, there program sounds well thought out and there equipment is running the rotax engine which is a bonus because that is the power plant I'm running in the 701. I'm not looking forward to that loooooong plane ride

Polar

Chick
03-29-2013, 05:38 AM
I hope you have a great time. Tell Romke and Jeff I said "Hi!".

Jeff Boatright
03-30-2013, 06:31 PM
Hi all,

After googling sport pilot flight school and seeing the overwhelming results, I came to the forum instead. I searched here and found positive recomenditions to Lockwood, Stewarts aircraft, and Blue Ridge sport flight....
Thankyou

Dave

I just got my Sport Pilot airman's certificate working with Greg Collins at Blue Ridge Sport Flight (as in, just yesterday). I've had several false starts with other instructors, etc (not their fault - I have a weird schedule). Greg got me through the required instruction and the flight exam in less time than predicted, no muss, no fuss. I could not be happier.

Now having said that, there are some things about the Blue Ridge situation that may be good for some and not for others. I think for you, being from Alaska, it will be good. Greg instructs out of Johnson Field, which is a rough grass strip next to Hendersonville Airport. It has difficult approaches made more challenging by fluky, sometimes crazy (to me, anyway), winds. Your crosswind, short field, and soft field technique will be strong, strong, strong by the time you finish with Greg.

Your checkride will be at Knoxville-Downtown. Pull out a sectional. Yep, you will be flying across the Smokies twice in one day in a 65 hp Champ with two up. And Greg is not skinny. Though not like the peaks of Alaska, this is the real deal among the options you listed. When you get your ticket with Greg, IMO, you are much more prepared for what you might face in Alaska than if you took instruction in Florida with easy breezes on airstrips with no obstacles and miles of flat, sea level sandy scrub.

If you want to feel confident about your abilities from here on out, go with Greg at Blue Ridge in a Champ. This is obviously all just my opinion, just one data point.

Jim Heffelfinger
03-30-2013, 09:11 PM
Rainbow may not offer training anymore. They are focused on the LSRM course, DAR work and other projects. Call or email to confirm

polar
05-08-2013, 01:05 AM
Thanks for the help guys. Went to Lockwood, and it was so fun I forgot it was training. Just as Chick said the instructor Jeff and Romke are a well seasoned team that made it fun and changeling. If anyone reading this is trying to go through a accelerated course, Lockwood should be on your short list. Free apartment, no waiting on aircraft and both instructors are seasoned pilots not interested in building time. Thanks Jeff for the recommendation, I didn't hear anything (recomendation wise) about blue ridge till I got back from lockwood. The lockwood guys considered where I was from and did push the short takeoff and landings, soft field T.O. and ldgs. and max cross wind landings (forgot how to land in calm winds). The bonus for me was that I was in the lockwood shop and got a chance to b.s. with the engine shop guys on the in's and out's of the rotax 912, also got a ride in the aircam, too fun. The common thread I kept hearing while training was "Where your from you gotta ....etc" but I feel like I'm better off for it. thanks again to everyone who gave advice

Chick
05-09-2013, 01:56 AM
Congratulations!

Bill Greenwood
05-09-2013, 11:34 AM
It is great to see two guys who have gotten up and really done it. when so many can't follow through.

Polar, what airplane did you fly?

And both guys, how many hours did it take you to solo and to get the rating?

Jeff, I think you will profit down the road from learning in the Champ. One heads up as a taliwheel airplane it sort of goes part way as you sit in the front seat and can see over the nose. Wait till you try a Stearman for instance.

My a&p flew his Champ from Colo to Osh last year.

Check 6
05-09-2013, 12:19 PM
Congratulations! :thumbsup:

polar
05-20-2013, 12:59 AM
Bill,
I flew the tecnam echo, tricycle gear plane. I'm finishing up on a ch-701 (similar to the echo) so it was a good fit. On hours flown I loged all duel 15hrs total (had previous training). Was planing for a longer stay but things went smoother than I could have hoped for! Having my written outta the way helped greatly.

Dave