PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping in Seattle

Bill Greenwood
02-24-2013, 06:04 PM
We are here for the N W O C weekend which has wrapped up, but it looks like we will be sleeping one more night in Seattle.
We took some time today to have seaplane flight, C206 at Lake Union, then go up on the Space needle, but when we got back to the hotel and were about to leave for the airport we find that our flight is cancelled due to a big snowstorm in Denver.

No problem, we will just watch the Oscars, ( the award, not the airplane) on tv tonight.

Bill G

Hal Bryan
02-24-2013, 06:13 PM
I wonder if you flew with my friend Kit at Seattle Seaplanes...?

Bill Greenwood
02-25-2013, 01:34 PM
Hal, Kit is flying for Seattle Seaplanes, but was away at the trade show yesterday. We flew with the owner, John ?, I think.

Hal Bryan
02-25-2013, 03:16 PM
Gotcha - it's just as well, she'd have told you all the sordid secrets about me from my last job!

Bill Greenwood
02-26-2013, 12:24 PM
Hal did you live in Seattle and did you work or fly with the seaplane folks?

Since our flight back to Denver was cancelled Sun night we had one more day which was fine and we went on the harbor boat tour. It was ok, but the flight was better.

Watching the Oscars was tough, a couple of hours of looking at beautiful ladies in fine dresses.
We were in the pub in the hotel with Gary Otto from Milwaukee, who flies a CAF T-6. I have known him for a few years, but really it was the first chance to hear more about his life when he is not at an airshow.
He sells giant $4 million cranes and was in Seattle to see a customer as well as the warbirds.

Hal Bryan
02-26-2013, 01:54 PM
I lived in Washington state from 1976 - 2009, so most of my life (so far, anyway...) Kit at Seattle Seaplanes and I worked together at Microsoft for many years. Another good friend and MS colleague went on to fly for Kenmore for quite a few years, so I've got a connection to both operations.

I'm glad you got to fly out there - such a beautiful area, especially from a seaplane. We go back there in December every year, and I keep saying that I need to take a couple of extra days and just finish the rating. We (EAA staff) keep musing about the fact that there are amphibious floats available for the CH 750 we're building, so who knows...?

Bill Greenwood
02-27-2013, 02:57 PM
Hal, if you go to Florida, Brown's Seaplane Base you can get the floatplane rating in 2-3 days in J-3 Cubs.

How do you like living in Osh compared to Seattle?
Which has the best summer weather? Worst winter weather? And how about the people in each place?

We saw Bill Gates house from our flight over it.

I never knew you were at Microsoft, no wonder you like computer techno stuff.

Hal Bryan
02-27-2013, 03:33 PM
I'd love to do it at Brown's in the Cubs, but Kit might kill me!

I love it here in Oshkosh. The weather is definitely more extreme than the Seattle area, but my wife and I both lived in eastern WA for years, which had hot summers and cold snowy winters so that hasn't been much of a shock. The people are great in both places, but I tend to find good people wherever I go. Most of 'em are airplane people, of course. :)

I was at Microsoft in varying roles for just under 15 years, 10 which I spent working on flight simulation. Evenings and weekends, though, you'd find me renting a hand-propped Champ with no radio and just flying for the sake of it. When I wasn't trekking off to Toronto to fly borrowed Tiger Moths that is...

rwanttaja
02-27-2013, 04:33 PM
I was at Microsoft in varying roles for just under 15 years, 10 which I spent working on flight simulation. Evenings and weekends, though, you'd find me renting a hand-propped Champ with no radio and just flying for the sake of it.
Presuming this was the Harvey Field Champ, you'll be happy to know it's still going. I was at Harvey two weekends back for a project visit (Banty) and the Champ taxiied in as I walked out to the Chapter 84 hangar....

Ron Wanttaja

Hal Bryan
02-27-2013, 04:59 PM
That's the one - glad to know it's still going strong!