PDA

View Full Version : I love flying my UL!

Bob Furr
12-24-2012, 06:55 AM
Interesting the discussion on instruments elsewhere on the forum. It reinforces why I love flying my UL so much. While others are looking at installing a $1000 plus AOA indicator on their home built I just keep on flying my UL. Really I understand the desire to build a complex airplane but I am glad I never got caught up in that rat race. I see too many beautiful complex planes setting at the local airport in closed hangers.
Why do you fly or want to fly UL's?

Sam Buchanan
12-24-2012, 02:44 PM
Interesting the discussion on instruments elsewhere on the forum. It reinforces why I love flying my UL so much. While others are looking at installing a $1000 plus AOA indicator on their home built I just keep on flying my UL. Really I understand the desire to build a complex airplane but I am glad I never got caught up in that rat race. I see too many beautiful complex planes setting at the local airport in closed hangers.
Why do you fly or want to fly UL's?

It's all about defining the mission. Every aircraft is a compromise and will leave some corner of the performance envelope untouched.

If you have the January 2013 issue of KitPlanes (page 16) handy you can see my article on how my RV-6 and Legal Eagle coexist peacefully in the same hangar...and the reasons both of them are flown. :cool:

Unfortunately, there are neglected aircraft in every price range. This is a statement about the pilot's priorities, not the suitability of the plane. I'm sure we've all seen ULs pushed back into a dusty corner of a hangar...

pacerpilot
12-25-2012, 11:24 AM
I have grown into the "less is more" or, "keep it simple", philosophy as well. I'm not a big fan of Ultralights but I do like a basic panel. I have nothing against UL's, I just like a heavier, stouter airplane that can handle more wind etc. I also like having an extra seat. I do understand your comment about expensive avionics. I've seen many fine airplane on the ground because they were thought of as ill equiped for the lack of some high tech gizmo. I still fly with paper charts, a plotter, pecil and, my watch. I must say that those little magic TV's that show where you're at by picking up Sputniks signal are really neato!

Dana
12-26-2012, 05:54 PM
HA! I like to tease my Bonanza owner friend that his latest annual cost more than my Kolb... :)

somorris
12-26-2012, 07:12 PM
I must say that those little magic TV's that show where you're at by picking up Sputniks signal are really neato!

Hi PacerPilot. I have one of the little TV's in my C-150. You should try one. Don't have to keep your finger on the chart anymore :).

Racegunz
12-27-2012, 03:00 PM
HA! I like to tease my Bonanza owner friend that his latest annual cost more than my Kolb... :)

LOL! that exactly is why I built my own, I do have to say I miss the extreme stol of my first UL but I do not regret building the Vagabond and moving on/up still simple and cheap,(well as aircraft go)