PDA

View Full Version : Presolo test needed?

aabreu
11-27-2012, 09:10 PM
I'm a sport pilot working on my private.
Should my instructor be giving me another presolo test?

Thanks
Andy

Tlim486
11-27-2012, 09:34 PM
http://sport-pilot-training.com/private-pilot/ I'd check out this link, If you are changing aircraft I'd say yes. tml

Bill Greenwood
11-29-2012, 01:01 PM
Andy, Congratulations on continuing your flight training.
What plane did you use for the sport rating and what are you using now?
It is fun and good training to learn to adap to a new type. If you have good fundamentals a lot of it will carry over.
The CFI at Boulder where I fly a lot says the presolo test is required to be specific to the airport and the plane you are using. Therefore if you are using the same plane at the same airport as your sport, but just adding the inst, night, and tower operations, maybe you don't need a new test. If you are changing, then you do. It is not going to be a big deal or shouldn't be. Why not go on and take the pre solo test for the private anyway, and it will be a step up. Nobody ever learned too much.
Good luck.

Joda
11-29-2012, 06:44 PM
A pre-solo knowledge test is required of a student pilot before their first solo. The reference is found in 14 CFR 61.87. Once you hold a pilot certificate, sport pilot or higher, you are no longer a student pilot. You are already the holder of a pilot certificate, and you are seeking a higher level pilot certificate. The pre-solo knowledge test is not required. Might not be a bad idea, but is not required.