PDA

View Full Version : Welcome!

Hal Bryan
07-19-2011, 01:13 PM
To the brand new EAA Forums! Going live just in the nick of time, before AirVenture!

Have a look around, help us wring it out a little bit, and let's get the conversations started! :)

Thanks everybody -

Hal

Hal Bryan, EAA #638979
Online Community Manager
EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

FlyBoyJon
07-19-2011, 02:50 PM
Greetings Hal,

Nice to see something up. Is this the roll out form of the messaging system or just a BETA front end? The back end works fine so far, the front end is a bit plain but certainly functional and usable.

Unfortunately I am going to not make it out to Oshkosh this year. I am starting AMT school next month so I am hoping to get some classmates together for a pilgrimage road trip next summer break. ;-)

I will continue poking around the site and making comments.

Chad Jensen
07-19-2011, 03:01 PM
This is AWESOME!!! Congrats on the new forum! My new home!

Nels_Anderson
07-19-2011, 03:23 PM
You switched to vBulletin!

Great choice, we've been running this software on FlightSim.Com for years and are very happy with it. It will easily handle the load this site will generate.

John Owens
07-19-2011, 03:50 PM
Glad to see this, sure beats the old one! :thumbsup:

Auburntsts
07-19-2011, 04:34 PM
Thanks for switching to vBulletin!

Turbomallard
07-19-2011, 04:58 PM
All right!!! Much nicer... but I'm going to miss reading my aviation magazines while waiting for a page to load.... NOT!

Nice work guys!!!!

Jim Heffelfinger
07-19-2011, 06:19 PM
I am throwing away my sun dial Hal.....

Chick
07-19-2011, 07:03 PM
Thank you! This is much better. I appreciate all the hard work that went into this.

rwanttaja
07-19-2011, 07:07 PM
Too fast! Whiplash! Whiplash! :D

KDoersom
07-19-2011, 07:36 PM
Sweet A nice Fast Forum

Panhandler1956
07-19-2011, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the new forum, I hated the osh365 deal.

smoothy58
07-19-2011, 08:38 PM
Great Improvement over the old site!! Thank you!!

spongebobiwan
07-19-2011, 08:48 PM
Good deal, Hal. I'll give this thing a run for its the money over the next few days to see how well it holds up. :P

Chad Jensen
07-19-2011, 08:51 PM
Is the instant email notification not working yet? Anyone else getting notifications? I have instant email turned on and I haven't had one yet. ???

grampamark
07-19-2011, 10:38 PM
Wow. A message board that actually works! I never spent much time on the old one because I didn't have much time. (Ordinarily, a smiley would appear here. Good software choice, need better smilies).

Mark

Jeff Point
07-19-2011, 11:07 PM
Finally! That wasn't so hard, was it? Get the word out and watch participation grow.

(Now, could we just do a little something about the color scheme?)

Looking forward to this new forum.

Anymouse
07-20-2011, 02:46 AM
Woohoo!!

Glad to see the new sight up!!!

PaulDow
07-20-2011, 06:48 AM
(Now, could we just do a little something about the color scheme?)
I could imagine that the visual aspects took a back seat to functionality this time around.
When things settle down, how about running a vBulletin theme contest? Winner could get a prize like a B-17 ride, or something.

Too expensive? Maybe a T-Shirt.

Too cheap? Maybe a day in the Aviator's Club.

sdilullo
07-20-2011, 09:51 AM
This is beautiful - thanks for all the hard work, Hal!

+100 on the switch to vBulletin.

Chad Jensen
07-20-2011, 10:08 AM
Is the instant email notification not working yet? Anyone else getting notifications? I have instant email turned on and I haven't had one yet. ???I am getting notifications thru email now...just fyi

Hal Bryan
07-20-2011, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the follow-up, Chad - glad to hear that's working properly now.

CraigCantwell
07-20-2011, 11:15 AM
Hey Hal: A vast improvement over the old software. I'm still poking around the site, so no real comments about it yet.

I would like to make a suggestion to those that have ideas for mods and functionality. Seperate out your comments as to functional issues, mods to functionality and changes to esthetics. By seperating them out, it gives Hal and the support crew time to get the items that are not functioning correctly, fixed before this goes out live. The membership is going to scream to high heaven if this rolls out with any big bugs or gotchas. Once it is all working correctly and to the satifaction of Hal, the staff and all of us beta testers, then start rolling in the changes for improved funtionality and as time permits the esthetic items can be worked in. I would much rather have this go live without all the pretty stuff and the guts working as near perfect as possible than have it look wonderful and perform like garbage. This endevour won't survive another turbulent, draggy execution and Hal doesn't deserve one, nor does EAA.

It's looking to be a job well done to Hal and the staff, and I'm looking forward to this going live soon and to see the reaction of all of the members of the board and all EAA members too.

Anymouse
07-20-2011, 11:21 AM
Hate to break this to you Craig, but it's live now.

Link has been posted on the various colored boards, as well as Oshkosh365. The cat is out of the bag.

The good news is that just about everything seems to be working. Just a few tweaks needed here and there.

CraigCantwell
07-20-2011, 11:42 AM
Oh well....Hopefully everyone will move over here then and be much happier with this software. It would have been nice for Hal and the crew to have a week or so of beta, but now that it's out there....... I hope that everyone gives Hal and the crew the well deserved support and positive feedback for having made the change in software and for all the suffering of our rath over the old stuff.

Anymouse
07-20-2011, 12:05 PM
Nice thing about vBulletin is that it seems to pretty much work out of the box. Just need to format it to what you want (colors, forums, etc.).

And you're right, Hal and company deserve a big round of applause for responding to our requests for something better. It's great to have an organization that will listen and respond to members' concerns.

Tom Steber
07-21-2011, 06:14 PM
Thank you, Thank you, THANK YOU!!!!!! Finally, I can look at stuff and post stuff without it taking 20 minutes to do it!
Great job!

Bill
07-21-2011, 10:12 PM
How pure the joy when I first beheld this thoroughly modern forum.

Congratulations and tusen takk!

Bill

Larry Lyons
07-21-2011, 10:18 PM
Works great! vBulletin is what I find to work the easiest and fastest. Thanks for the change. L

Hiperbiper
07-26-2011, 08:33 PM
Hey Hal, This board is too fast. Could you slow it down a bit???

sdilullo
07-27-2011, 12:48 PM
Hey Hal, This board is too fast. Could you slow it down a bit???

+1 :rollseyes:

Bill Campbell
07-31-2011, 04:31 PM
Looks good Hal, still getting oriented.

Kamic
08-02-2011, 08:30 PM
took me longer than I thought to find the new forums!

Joe
08-06-2011, 08:41 AM
this is alot nicer and faster
THANKS Hal!!

Edward7
09-16-2011, 05:01 AM
Hi, I am a new user of this site....... and hello to all the forum members...... My Name is John Edward.

candgp
09-23-2011, 09:25 PM
I am new at this don't know or understand what I'm doing

turbo
10-02-2011, 07:56 PM
this new machine is taking off like mad!!!!!!!!!! you dont even need an image hosting site to post a pic. just hit the image icon and load from your computer. thanks EAA. 668

Hal Bryan
11-08-2011, 12:12 PM
Just a quick updated "welcome" to the steady stream of new users that are coming aboard in response to the first of a half dozen or so "email blasts" we started to send out this morning... The more the merrier!

dustines211
11-10-2011, 07:56 AM
I just joined today. This site looks nice. I will be on here quite a bit.

MrBill
11-18-2011, 08:15 PM
So much nicer than the old format. Sometimes it pays to start over. Nice job and hats off to Hal and crew for the super update. Kudos!

spunkyaviatrix
01-10-2012, 08:15 AM
This looks much better! Great work, guys!

EDGEFLY
01-29-2012, 10:11 AM
Hal,

Can we get a spellchecker added to the cluster of editing functions ? Maybe I didn't look hard enough but have tried twice but can't find one in either of the Reply to Thread or Post New Thread formats which come up.

EDGEFLY

Anymouse
01-29-2012, 10:55 AM
Not sure if you're inclined to do such a thing, but Firefox has a spell checker. Gotta download and install Firefox though.

EDGEFLY
01-29-2012, 06:13 PM
Anymouse,

I use Firefox as my primary browser but don't know how I could use that spellchecker as an integral part or a Thread initiative message or a reply in the EAA forums. If you have a method, please share it with me.

EDGEFLY

Anymouse
01-29-2012, 06:49 PM
When I create a post and have a misspelling, a red line shows up under the offending word. If this isn't happening, try going to your settings. Not sure where that's located on Windows machines (under tools?) but on a Mac you'll find it under Firefox: Preferences. Once you're there, go to the Advanced Tab. Under General, you should see an option to "Check my spelling as I type." Make sure that's checked.

Matt Gonitzke
01-29-2012, 07:07 PM
On a Windows OS, in Firefox, go to Tools --> Options --> Advanced --> Check my spelling as I type.

Larry Lyons
01-30-2012, 08:46 AM
There is a spell check available free called "ieSpell". Google that, down load it and it will forever reside under a right click on your mouse as "Check Spelling" , or left click if you use your lfet hand to move the mouse. It will do a spell check for you in places that windows will not. I have used it for years and it is lovely. Larry

Bill
01-30-2012, 09:43 PM
On a Windows OS, in Firefox, go to Tools --> Options --> Advanced --> Check my spelling as I type.

If you have Firefox 9.0 or later, click on the Firefox Menu Button, then its Options --> Options --> Advanced --> Check my spelling as I type.

gpinnell
02-14-2012, 03:33 PM
Hal: Is there any way that one can download and put the countdown Hamilton timer to AirVenture on a desktop? Thanks! Greg

Hal Bryan
02-14-2012, 03:58 PM
Hi Greg - Unfortunately not. I've tinkered with this a couple of times in the past, and I've never found an easy to make it work.

Your best bet is to look for an installable countdown clock widget for Windows or Mac as appropriate that will just let you specify the date and time for AirVenture. I haven't played around with any of them, but a Google search showed a few promising looking candidates.

Best regards -

Hal

gpinnell
02-14-2012, 04:33 PM
Hi, thanks for checking. The only other thing (and I am sure you have heard this one before) I wish this forum would do is put most recent posts first instead of last. See ya, Greg

Hal Bryan
02-14-2012, 05:33 PM
The only other thing (and I am sure you have heard this one before) I wish this forum would do is put most recent posts first instead of last. See ya, Greg

Now that one I can help with - you can set the sort order yourself:

Click Settings (upper right, near the Log Out link)
Then General Settings (left hand column, 2/3 of the way down, below My Account)
Scroll down until you see Thread Display Options
Choose the setting you want under Thread Display Mode

I'm thinking you'll want "Linear - Newest First" but have a look. There's a link there that explains each choice as well.

Best -

Hal

fanjet
07-27-2012, 03:23 PM
What did this forum used to run instead of vBulletin? phpBB? Because that works pretty good on my site.