PDA

View Full Version : Substantial Changes Requiring New AW Date

lloydllc
11-19-2012, 11:00 PM
I'm considering buying an older sailplane that needs new wings built as the old ones have dry rot.

What I'm wondering is if I'll need to get a new AW date when the wings are replaced. Wings are no longer available and extremely scarce (only 3 left in the world), so I would need to build a new pair using the original factory drawings without any modificationsThe wings would be identical to a new pair from the factory (the factory, Sheibe in Germany, is still in business but haven't made this plane since the early 60s).

The sailplane is currently registered as Experimental - Racing/Exhibition with an AW date of 1980 (the old rules that don't require annual requirements to notify the FAA of all flights, dates and locations in advance:rollseyes:) so I really don't want to get a new date with stringent requirements.

Would new wings necessitate a new AW date? r is there a way to keep the old AW date?

tonycondon
11-20-2012, 07:45 AM
Not 100% sure on your question but I think I know the glider you're talking about and I'm glad to hear that someone is taking on the project.

FWIW i think that most people with "modern" racing/exhibition certificates on sailplanes don't really find them to be all that restrictive. There is suggested wording on the SSA's website that still allows you to fly basically anywhere you want.

Joda
11-20-2012, 06:08 PM
Since your new wings would be identical to the ones you are replacing this would not be a major change. It would simply be a "repair" even though it is extensive. There would be no need to re-certificate the aircraft, or even notify the FAA. Just build the wings and you're all set.

wbecker319
11-26-2012, 10:08 AM
I think this could fall under the "owner produced Part" rull, and FAR21.303(b)2 may help.
See http://www.vintageaircraft.org/informational_articles/1992%20-%2003%20-%20FAR%2021%20303.html
Bill B

Joda
11-26-2012, 07:07 PM
I think this could fall under the "owner produced Part" rull, and FAR21.303(b)2 may help.
See http://www.vintageaircraft.org/informational_articles/1992%20-%2003%20-%20FAR%2021%20303.html

The rules on owner produced parts would only apply to a standard category aircraft. Since the aircraft in question is experimental/exhibition category, there's no need to worry about who produced the parts. As long as the installation doesn't consitute a "major change" there's no issue with certification or approval. Replacing the wings, even in their entirety, is only a repair, not a major change so long as the same wing planform, stucture and airfoil is maintained. It would only be a major change if the wings were modified, such as a change in span, chord, airfoil, major structural components, addition or removal of flaps, etc. If a major change is incorporated there is a procedure to follow called out in the aircraft's operating limitations that were issued by the FAA as a part of the aircraft's airworthiness certificate.

lloydllc
12-04-2012, 11:04 PM
Thanks to EVERYONE for all your great answers!

I went ahead and bought the 1959 Schiebe Zugvogul III at a bargain price and will build new wings using the original Scheibe plans (once I order & get them from Germany). Will also rebuild the tail components since they're wood too.

After doing the woodwork and refurbishing the fuselage I should have a really nice ride.

Gary

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

The rules on owner produced parts would only apply to a standard category aircraft. Since the aircraft in question is experimental/exhibition category, there's no need to worry about who produced the parts. As long as the installation doesn't consitute a "major change" there's no issue with certification or approval. Replacing the wings, even in their entirety, is only a repair, not a major change so long as the same wing planform, stucture and airfoil is maintained. It would only be a major change if the wings were modified, such as a change in span, chord, airfoil, major structural components, addition or removal of flaps, etc. If a major change is incorporated there is a procedure to follow called out in the aircraft's operating limitations that were issued by the FAA as a part of the aircraft's airworthiness certificate.