PDA

View Full Version : Skyraider Ultralight

joen6171b
11-09-2012, 07:49 AM
I went and looked at a skyraider ultralight that's for sale by the original owner/builder. He is an A&P IA. He has never flown it. It is about ten years old and has been stored inside its whole life. It's powered by a half VW. He's asking $15K. I thought his price is very high. So, what's it worth.

Tom C
11-11-2012, 04:12 PM
I am not sure what is currently listed for sale on barnstormers but you might check there to get an idea of what owners are asking. I have a skyraider that I built and have flown for 350 hours. It has a lot of options and has been flown regularly and well maintained. I am looking to get a two place and would consider selling it for $7500.00

jedi
11-18-2012, 04:59 PM
I went and looked at a skyraider ultralight that's for sale by the original owner/builder. It's powered by a half VW. He's asking $15K. what's it worth.

I am quite certain if you will weigh the aircraft you will find that it is not an Ultralight (254 pounds plus BRS credit if installed) and therefore must be registered with N number and airworthyness certificate. With those it may be worth what he is asking in a good market but 30% less would be a good offer. Without those certificates is is considered lawn furnature and parts in spite of the quality of workmanship and appeal. The engine is worth something but how much depends on the conversion, etc.
IA should have known to register an overweight UL.

Tom C
11-18-2012, 05:46 PM
Since it was built by the IA that has it for sale, it should be no problem to register it in the experimental amateur built category and get the repairmans certificate for it. No need for it to be considered lawn furniture.

joen6171b
11-20-2012, 07:31 AM
Will it be tuff to get the airworthiness certificate from the DAR because it was built so long ago? Or just tell them you just finished it.....

Tom C
11-20-2012, 06:09 PM
I would talk to the A&P IA owner. It may be easier for him to register since he is the builder then it will be for you to register it after buying it from him. See if he will work with you. Possibly you could make the registration of it a condition of the sale

1600vw
11-20-2012, 06:25 PM
I would wonder why it was never flown, that would be a big question for me.

But then on price.....Check this out..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ9x1SMKUlo ...

I picked this up for a 1/3 of the price, and she was registered. I did have to go throught the registration the FAA is making every N numbered bird go through. but that was not a problem.

Then check out this other bird that I had..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBGro7gJfy8

She was not a VW but she was one nice bird and if you notice the price, again almost 1/3 of the price you are looking at.

I can also say that bird you are looking at is not an Ultralight. No where near. I bet it holds more then 5 gallons of fuel. More like 8 - 10 if it does not have dual tanks.

H.A.S.

joen6171b
11-21-2012, 07:59 AM
Just as a point of reference, what would it cost to build a skyraider today with the half VW?

Tom C
11-21-2012, 05:16 PM
Check the skyraider website to get an idea of what a kit will cost.