PDA

View Full Version : Win a stearman!

Bill Greenwood
11-02-2012, 09:44 AM
Here's an EAA activity that I think will meet with universal member approval! Ok, almost universal, since it seems there is always a few folks who if you said, "have a nice day", they'd say, "not if I can help it".

EAA has raffled off planes for years, but many of them have not been anything really extraordinary.

This latest one is; it is a Stearman. I might keep it in Texas or Wisconsin or Florida or somewhere warmer with some grass runways. I would NOT sell it and I hope if anyone else is the lucky one that they keep it and fly it also.

Winning that would make up for my not winning that beautiful Waco that AOPA did a few years ago.

steveinindy
11-02-2012, 10:18 AM
Is it bad my first thought was "First they get rid of Rod and now they raffle off his plane!"? ;)

I might keep it in Texas or Wisconsin or Florida or somewhere warmer with some grass runways. I would NOT sell it and I hope if anyone else is the lucky one that they keep it and fly it also.

It's one of the few raffle planes that I have seen that I would not sell. If someone else wins it, I hope they don't sell it AND give me a ride!

Hal Bryan
11-02-2012, 10:29 AM
We're all pretty excited to see it, and some of us, of course, are hoping for a chance to fly it, but we'll see... ;)

It's being done by Air Repair in Mississippi, and should be gorgeous when it's finished. If you hadn't seen the specs, you can find them here:

http://www.eaa.org/sweepstakes/

WeaverJ3Cub
11-02-2012, 08:05 PM
Here's an EAA activity that I think will meet with universal member approval! Ok, almost universal, since it seems there is always a few folks who if you said, "have a nice day", they'd say, "not if I can help it".

EAA has raffled off planes for years, but many of them have not been anything really extraordinary.

This latest one is; it is a Stearman. I might keep it in Texas or Wisconsin or Florida or somewhere warmer with some grass runways. I would NOT sell it and I hope if anyone else is the lucky one that they keep it and fly it also.

Winning that would make up for my not winning that beautiful Waco that AOPA did a few years ago.

Agree 100%! That would be a dream plane. Pure joy.

WeaverJ3Cub
11-02-2012, 08:10 PM
On the sweeps page, can anyone clarify this?

Just for being a valued EAA member, you have a select number of entries automatically in the 2013 EAA Sweepstakes based on your membership level.*

But don't stop there! You can submit up to 500 entries to improve your odds of flying home in a fully restored Stearman Model 75!

Mail up to 20 completed entry forms in a separate, full postage paid envelope to:

So....I can mail that form 500 times, in packages of 20?? That takes commitment... :eek: ....but I might just do it!

Louis
11-03-2012, 12:45 PM

If I won it I'd keep it right here in Fairbanks!

Flyfalcons
11-03-2012, 12:50 PM
That's a helluva prize. I'm sure the winner will have a huge smile on their face.

FlyingRon
11-04-2012, 09:39 AM
Even the second prize has a tail wheel :)

Bill Greenwood
11-04-2012, 03:32 PM
The 2nd prize is some kind of almost motorcycle that has 3 wheels. Not really the image of king of the road ,but they may have gotten it donated by a sponsor.
Somebody must like those things if they go to the trouble to make them.

pittsdriver3
11-05-2012, 09:15 AM
With a 300hp Jake it should be a good performer. Seems like 300hp in this type of airplane is just right. I fly a N3N with a 300 Lyc and it performs a whole lot better than the stock N I used to fly on the same fuel burn. By the way Bill you flew the stock N with me back in the late 80's at the Salt Lake City warbird show. Don

FlyingRon
11-05-2012, 10:12 AM
The CanAms are two-wheeled cars. They steer like a car rather than either a two-wheeled machine or a trike with the two wheels in the back.

Bill Greenwood
11-12-2012, 04:29 PM
Ron , I don't understand what you mean by a 2 wheeled car? The photo clearly shows 2 wheels in front and 1 wheel in back, for a total of 3. Or do you have the same accountant as the Romney camp, and doing a little creative new math?

Don, you have a great memory, but you must be like me, getting long in the tooth.
Thanks much for the ride, and if you are still in Salt Lake, I'd like to phone you and ask for a favor? No, its not money, but might take some time.
Thanks, Bill

Zack Baughman
11-12-2012, 05:10 PM
Ron , I don't understand what you mean by a 2 wheeled car? The photo clearly shows 2 wheels in front and 1 wheel in back, for a total of 3. Or do you have the same accountant as the Romney camp, and doing a little creative new math?

Don, you have a great memory, but you must be like me, getting long in the tooth.
Thanks much for the ride, and if you are still in Salt Lake, I'd like to phone you and ask for a favor? No, its not money, but might take some time.
Thanks, Bill

The political remark was really unnecessary. As for the Can-Am Spyder, Ron was referring to the way they steer when he wrote "two-wheeled." They steer just like a car, or a cage as my fellow biker brethren call them. Regular motorcycles rely on countersteering to turn (steer right to turn left), while three-wheeled bikes like the Can-Am with two wheels in the front steer more like a car. For more on countersteering, read here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countersteering. As an aside, the differences between handling trikes versus bikes are enough that some states require a separate license endorsement for each.

Can-Ams are nice machines, and I'd say the Spyder is a pretty nice second prize. Too bad staff are exempt from the raffle! :(

Joe LaMantia
12-01-2012, 10:27 AM
If I win the Stearman I will follow Steven Coonts path in his book "The Cannibal Queen" and spend a summer flying to every state in the lower 48! The front seat will go to the guy/gal who writes the best 500 word theme for why he/she should ride along.

Joe
:cool:

martymayes
12-01-2012, 10:40 AM
I did not notice what they are raffling besides the Stearman, but if they are giving away a Can Am reverse trike, that's a GREAT runner up prize!!

FlyingRon
12-02-2012, 07:37 AM
More precisely, counter steering is the control input. A motorcycle turns because it leans quite analogous to an aircraft. What I meant to write was "Can-Ams are three wheeled cars". Which probably would make more sense. Two wheeled cars is my joke for the big assed hondas and road kings that have air conditioning, cd players, gps, and all sorts of other odditites.

Floatsflyer
01-08-2013, 02:00 PM
As I don't have one minute of taildragger time, when I win the Stearman it's going on a beautifully restored set of EDO's from the period and painted to match. Is this heaven? Will I be in heaven? Yes, and yes. I better start writing out those stubs....500 will take some serious commitment