PDA

View Full Version : 4-Minute Free Program Stats To Date in 2012

Jim Ward
10-30-2012, 02:54 PM
From the 2013 Rules Change Proposals thread:

Thanks for the info. That is actually sort of good news in that the effort that IAC volunteers put into last year's rule change benefited one member. But it begs the question of whether the IAC contest rules should contain paragraphs that benefit one or two members.

Hope that the minutes if the fall board meeting offer some insight into the discussion on this one.

Regards,

Wes
N78PS
Wes & all,

The 4-Minute Free is an interesting topic. Here are some numbers:

36 regional contests are posted on the IAC results page so far in 2012
Of these, 6 contests included a 4-Minute Free Program, but only 5 had 2 or more competitors flying
Of the 300-400 people who've flown contests in 2012, just 9 flew the 4-Minute Free (8 from Unlimited, 1 from Advanced)
Most of those 9 flew this program in just one contest; 1 pilot flew 2, 1 pilot flew 3
If you include Nationals, the new numbers become: 37 contests, 6 with a competitive 4-Minute, 14 pilots flying (12 Unlimited Power, 1 Unlimited Glider, 1 Advanced Power)

Looking at this info, a reasonable person might ask whether there's sufficient ROI to operate this flight program. There does seem to be modest support for it within our membership, so I wouldn't use the data alone to argue for its removal. From an administrative point of view, though, all the hard work (the "investment") has been done – save, perhaps, for wrestling with rule change proposals.

The rule change effective in 2012 that includes Advanced category pilots has marginally increased participation and has the potential to do so further in the future. So, considering that the infrastructure is in place and that contests may include 4-Minute Frees at no incremental cost, I see nothing that motivates a change here. Do you?

Best,
Jim

WLIU
10-31-2012, 06:09 PM
I will suggest that in the Northeast contests, the low participation in 4 Minute Free Programs is a consequence of

A) Small population of active Unlimited competitors and a population of Advanced competitors that is only marginally larger

B) Contests run the 4 Minute Free at the end (Obviously). In the northeast, that means after all categories have flown 3 flights. On Sunday everyone is watching the weather and thinking about getting home. So unless the weather forecast for everyone going home is perfect, the volunteers want to depart as soon as the scores for the "main" categories are calculated and standings can be posted.

I will also note that maybe one Advanced competitor out here has an FAA/ICAS low level waiver that I am aware of (Ron Sags?).

I will suggest that if you want to see more 4 Minute Free Program flights, change rule book paragraph 5.6.1 that says "All 4-Minute Free competitors must have completed the schedule competition flight programs in their respective category." to say "All 4-Minute Free competitors must have completed the Known Program in their respective category." This change can allow Contest Directors to bring the 4 Minute Free Program into the middle of the contest rather than the end. We all really do enjoy watching the 4-Minute Free's, but Sunday we all need to get home.

I will suggest that flying more 4-Minute Free Programs will be good for our Judges. Here in the northeast, hardly any of the Regional Judges have experience scoring a 4-Minute Free Program. This situation does not benefit IAC.

I will also suggest that if it is appropriate for IAC to accept the ICAS certification for 250' airshow competency, the current rule book paragraph 5.6.1 Eligibility that says "Advanced category competitors" could be changed to delete "Advanced category" and open the 4-Minute Free Program to any category competitor. After all, if we accept that a pilot is competent down to 250', then why does the category that they choose to fly in matter?

This question has been posted for 24 hours and this is the first comment. I hope that more constructive discussion gets posted here.

Regards,

Wes
N78PS

Aaron McCartan
11-03-2012, 11:06 AM
From perspective of aviation promotion - the 4 Minute Free is an outstanding tool. Having both competed and served as a contest official at the National Championships; that is one scheduled event that has been actively promoted over the years. With a simple phone call to the local paper and/or local news station, you get a surprising turnout from the surrounding area. It's an excellent way to 'give back' to the communities that host our events and leaves the locals excited about future events. Apply that last sentence to the regional level, we need local support and enthusiasm to keep our aerobatic boxes open and be welcomed back to these venues.

Personally I'm supportive of allowing the Advanced categories to fly the 4 Minute. If it's deemed that a 250' waiver is adequate regardless of category; I'd support that as well given the preceding flights of the contest did not merit any concerns about pilot ability.

I am an aspiring Advanced competitor and fully intend to enroll in a 4 Minute Free but am finding the waiver process to be a bit involved. The competency evaluators don't just give out waivers for kicks. It takes time and experience to obtain this level of waiver. Being a 'fresh-start' the process will most likely take years. First to join ICAS. Second to obtain a waiver which may begin at 800 feet, 500 if you are very proficient. Then to lower the floor takes experience.

With this rule being activated for the first time in 2012 only a few Advanced competitors would have the opportunity to utilize the new privilege. Some of us will have to spend years working towards a 250 foot waiver.