PDA

View Full Version : Fuel step on a 172A?

Switchback
10-27-2012, 03:32 PM
I bought a used set of fuel steps, handles etc to install on my 59 172a. Has anyone done this? Any input? They are off of a 64. Are there other structural things to consider or just make sure that they are installed on a stringer or sold structural section?

jam0552@msn.com
10-27-2012, 06:14 PM
I'd be careful if I were you on adding steps to a certificated aircraft. If you want to maintain its current airworthiness certificate, I'd see if there's an STC to install them. If so purchase it and have an A&P install them and an IA sign off the 337/ICA. You risk getting caught on your next annual with an "unapproved alteration" which may make it unairworthy. Your call - but do your homework before you start drilling.
-Joel Marketello A&P, IA
PS Perhaps a lightweight folding step stool to throw in the baggage compartment when you're done fueling...

martymayes
10-27-2012, 06:41 PM
I don't know about a '59 model but refueling steps and handles were an option on the '60 model and can be installed with Cessna instructions. No STC required. However, there is more to it than the actual steps and handles. There is a doubler that goes on each side of the boot cowl for the lower step.

Switchback
10-28-2012, 08:33 AM
This is an early 60 model as it has the swept tail. Where can I get instructions? Call cessna? Like jam stated, I don't want to create any problems.

martymayes
10-28-2012, 09:04 AM
This is an early 60 model as it has the swept tail. Where can I get instructions? Call cessna? Like jam stated, I don't want to create any problems.

The Cessna refueling steps and handle kit is AJ172-168J. Call Cessna and ask if the installation instructions are available. I'm pretty sure you don't want to purchase the kit at ~$800. Also, since it's an option, the parts manual should list all the parts.

Switchback
10-28-2012, 04:31 PM
The Cessna refueling steps and handle kit is AJ172-168J. Call Cessna and ask if the installation instructions are available. I'm pretty sure you don't want to purchase the kit at ~$800. Also, since it's an option, the parts manual should list all the parts.

Thanks! I will call tomorrow and check. I appreciate the kit number and info-very helpful:thumbsup: