PDA

View Full Version : Where to park cubs for the 75th anniversary of the cub at AirVenture 2012 ??

Rick Rademacher
08-17-2011, 07:42 AM
In talking yesterday with the powers to be at EAA, they are of the opinion that the vintage Cubs should be parked together in the vintage area. The L-4 cubs would be parked in the war bird area and the experimental cubs in the experimental area and so on. For the 75th anniversary of the cub, maybe things should be done differently.

My thinking is that if all cubs were to be parked together, the public could more easily see the evolution of the cub. How there are subtle differences between some and great between others. A cub is a cub but some have greater capabilities and uses. And, not all cubs are the same color.

So, to separate the cubs on the field might defuse the magnitude of the cubs on the field. A larger impact might be achieved if all cubs are parked in the same area. For the last 24 years, cubs have been scattered all over the field.

As I own a 46 J-3, an L-4 owner might want to be parked in a different area. Where do you want to park your cub at AirVenture for the 75th anniversary of the cub and why?

I am sure that the EAA staff will work with us on this issue.

John
08-17-2011, 09:11 PM
If you want to do a mass arrival, then I think separate parking might be a problem, depending on # of planes. It's going to take some coordination to separate out warbirds, vintage, homebuilt, and regular campers from a stream of cubs taxiing along the grounds.

Kevin O'Halloran
08-18-2011, 09:00 AM
Without formation training ( like what B2OSH requires) A Mass arrival is just asking for big problems.
Kevin

Rick Rademacher
08-18-2011, 11:25 AM
One thought was to land on speeding Ford trucks to more quickly clear the runways. As all mass arrivals have to be approved by EAA and FAA officials, that idea was quickly put to rest. However, a mass fly in of cubs will be a spectacle to remember.
A coordinated arrival of cubs flying at 70 M.P.H would be better than disrupting the Fisk approach for two days of very slow sporadic cub traffic. Many people are working on the arrival plans for cubs to make it as safe as any other group arrival.
I can’t wait to participate in it.

Kevin O'Halloran
08-18-2011, 02:50 PM
they would have approved the plan if you would have used chevy trucks---it would have taken longer to get the non running fords off the runway than to land 200 cubs
My thought (depending on the winds) Have the formation fly in two groups ( both in trail) land 3 at a time on runway 36 ( one long--one mid field--one short)----then land the next 3 ( from the other group) on the east taxi way (one long--one mid field--one short)----have the "three flights" of each group take off with about a 2 minute interval between the next group behind them ( or 1 minute from the group on the other formation)
the only BIG problem--since the cubs can't taxi fast ( hell, they can't even fly fast !!)----the planes might get bunched up after they clear the runway
the formations following in trail should be easy to do for cubs----this CAN be done safely--but it will take practice with EVERYONE that is in the group.

Kevin ( head of ground planning for B2OSH)

PS the warbird cubs can come in at the very last of the formation---it would then be no problem for them to taxi to the warbird area and not be in the way of the other planes going to vintage.

FlyingRon
08-19-2011, 06:20 AM
There is now a grass runway roughly of the end of taxiway PAPA (once you get past the Glideslope antenna and weather stations and the hot dog stand that the CFR guys camp out in). From there it wouldn't be hard to get things up into the type club area (between the ultralights and Aircraft Repair).

But hell, if we can bring Ercoupes in a mass arrival, cubs shouldn't be a problem either.

Rick Rademacher
08-19-2011, 07:09 AM
I am encouraged by everyone’s thoughts that it can be done. We just have to be in another mindset in flying with others at only 70 M.P.H.

It is my hope that several airports around the country can be gathering places for cubs on the way to Oshkosh next year. It’s fun to fly with others cubs as all other aircraft leave us in their wake. And, we can practice for hours and hours on the way so that are skills are up to the task.