PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to sign up for local chapter if I sign up for national organization?

lyle85213
09-18-2012, 02:09 PM
I few years ago I signed up for EAA and the local chapter. But, was very disillusioned by the local chapter. I wanted to scratch build a HiMax and was discouraged by the chapter. I was told that I needed to build a quick build kit instead. When I insisted and got the plans, I was told not to expect any support as they didn't support scratch builders. After attend three meetings and one outing, I had the feeling that this was an organization for "rich boys with expensive toys" club. I let my membership expire in '09 and did not renew it. I'm a member of AOPA and have been sense 2000 and have followed EAA on line reading all the article the national organization puts out. I like EAA and want to support it on a national level. I'm now into year 4 of my build and about 6 months to a year from finishing. There are some article online that are available for members only and want to join but was told by the local chapter that I had to join both. Is this true? I would also like to look for a tech who support scratch building and feel I need to join to get these services but I refuse to support the local chapter. Advice?

Mike Switzer
09-18-2012, 02:46 PM
You DO NOT have to join a local chapter. I am a member of the national organization but did not join the local chapter as there is very little interest in building.

(Plus their meetings were the same night as the church council meetings)

You might look around & see if there is an "almost" local chapter that better suits your needs - a lot of people in Central Illinois belong to the Bloomington chapter even if it is over an hour drive because there is interest in building there. I haven't done that as there is no way I could go to the meetings anyway.

Mike M
09-18-2012, 02:47 PM
...I like EAA and want to support it on a national level...There are some article online that are available for members only and want to join but was told by the local chapter that I had to join both. Is this true?.

odd. most chapters i've been in, one must be a national member to officially join the chapter. oh, we still let them come to meetings and functions and eat the donuts, but they couldn't fly Young Eagles or stuff like that. but a national member need not join a chapter, no.

Jim Heffelfinger
09-19-2012, 10:13 AM
Good question and even more important underlying topic.
Chapter membership and national are only linked at the chapter level. To be a participating chapter member you need to be also a national one. Not the other way around.
I went to the local chapter and found it lacking in encouragement and openness. I went away for a few years but realized I needed the chapter connections to continue my project. I went back, became an interment for change on the board and now serve as VP. Changing the chapter is difficult as it has many years of momentum to redirect and with the majority of the members retired - the board is mostly made up of working parents with lots of activities beyond EAA.
Chapters, as a whole, are aging out with poor investment in recruiting younger/more members. I speak in generalities as there are many vibrant chapters that are very much alive. Yet there are also many that have had their numbers dwindle, projects lay unfinished, activities wither and treasuries depleted. Sadly many have shut down their chapters because the needed critical mass has gone.
Here is where the Eagles Program and eventually the YE will help to sustain the chapters but will it be enough ( numbers) and soon enough to bring the chapters back to the growth they need to survive.

dusterpilot
09-20-2012, 05:29 PM
I'm fortunate to belong to a large and very active chapter. We all come together for our monthly meetings to eat, talk, enjoy each others' company and war stories, and have some pretty interesting guest speakers and programs. However, we are a diverse group of smaller groups. We have a small group of builders working together to build a scratch-built Pietenpol. Another group of pilots just fly ultralights. We've got some building and some already flying some pretty high-end go-fast composite kit built aircraft. We've got some that have no desire to build or do anything with experimentals, but they fly certified aircraft and are our most frequent Young Eagle pilots. We've got airline pilots, military pilots, and student pilots and even a couple of powered parachute pilots. We've got a great chapter and there's clearly something for everyone. Chapters have their own personalities, and sometimes those personalities change over time. Give your local chapter another look and be vocal about what you're looking for. Chances are, someone else may be quietly looking for the same thing. If that chapter doesn't fit, try another one. Chapter activities and support are often the best reasons to be an EAA member.
Bob Mc
Chapter 64 at CPS