PDA

View Full Version : Transponder Out

Joe LaMantia
09-14-2012, 06:59 AM
A couple of days ago I flew our club Archer to Smith Field KSAD. I called Fort Wayne approach for clearance into the Class C and radar traffic, they were unable to pick-up my xponder signal and I was directed to fly a holding pattern until they spotted me and gave me a clearance and vector to Smith. I tripled checked the alt setting and tried the ident button more then "once", no light and clearly no contact by approach control. Yes, I double checked the circuit breakers and all were set. This aircraft had it's annual inspection the end of June and it doesn't get a lot of flying just a lot of sitting. Given that I could get a light on the ident button I'm guessing the box is w/o power, it's the standard Bendix/King KT76 mode C unit. The Archer is a 1976 model and the xponder came with the aircraft when new. Does anyone out there know if this unit has power cable that plugs into it, or is it getting power off some contact point(s) in the mounting system.

Joe

martymayes
09-14-2012, 07:23 AM
Give it a re-rack. Pull it out of the rack and put it back in, making sure it's properly and securely seated.

Joe LaMantia
09-14-2012, 09:17 AM
Thanks Marty!,

I'll give it a try.

Joe

Joe LaMantia
09-20-2012, 07:36 AM
FYI, the old KT76 is "toast" had it checked by our club maintenance guy, and we're getting a new unit installed next week along with some new headset jacks. Sometimes you just gotta bite the bullet!

Joe
:P