PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Class Medical Question

johnb
09-10-2012, 02:31 PM
I am an ex-military pilot. After receiving my wings, I took-passed-received an FAA Commerical License with a multi-engine, single engine and instrument ratings and a 3rd class medical. Since I did very little civilian flying while in the service or out-of-service my 3rd class medical went by the wayside. I haven't flown in 36 years. During this time my health has not been the best. I developed diabetes along with some other issues. I am interested in getting back to flying (private/sport#. I have been looking in buying and building an RV-12#E-LSA) due to needing only a drivers-license for a medical. I don't think I can pass a 3rd class medical? Someone told me that before being able to use a drivers-licence as a medical, your last 3rd class medical must not been denied. Is this true? Any help in this matter would be helpful.

regards and thanks
john

FlyingRon
09-10-2012, 02:36 PM
Yes, you are correct. Do NOT apply for a third class if you think there's a chance you won't pass.
Whether you can pass (either outright or with a special issuance) depends on what you mean by "developed diabetes".

Anymouse
09-10-2012, 03:20 PM
I am an ex-military pilot. After receiving my wings, I took-passed-received an FAA Commerical License with a multi-engine, single engine and instrument ratings and a 3rd class medical. Since I did very little civilian flying while in the service or out-of-service my 3rd class medical went by the wayside. I haven't flown in 36 years. During this time my health has not been the best. I developed diabetes along with some other issues. I am interested in getting back to flying (private/sport#. I have been looking in buying and building an RV-12#E-LSA) due to needing only a drivers-license for a medical. I don't think I can pass a 3rd class medical? Someone told me that before being able to use a drivers-licence as a medical, your last 3rd class medical must not been denied. Is this true? Any help in this matter would be helpful.

regards and thanks
john

Hi John,

What Ron said is correct. Don't even apply, let alone get a physical, unless you are sure you will pass.

All that being said, if you DO want to get a Class III, it may be possible depending on your circumstances, but you'll probably have to jump through some hoops. If you want to, I suggest you post your details on the Pilots of America forum in their medical section. You can do this anonymously. A fellow named Dr. Bruce will eventually answer, and outline what you'll need to do to get a Class III.

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13

malexander
09-11-2012, 03:39 AM
If light sport is what you're interested in, I'd just do the research on what the requirements are, and jump on it. I'd sort of be afraid of asking too many questions to very many people,
for fear of raising too many eyebrows. When dealing with a government agency.............Well, you've been in the military, I think you know what I'm getting at.:)

I'm a licensed plumber & electrician. I deal with inspectors ALL the time. If I ask one for clarification of a specific code, they can quote "scripture" (code), but they really don't know what it means. Most of them (inspectors) were failures in the field, so they got a government job where they don't have to be, and aren't held accountable for anything.

PaulDow
09-11-2012, 07:50 AM
Personally, I'm getting concerned about so many people saying they have a condition that prevents them from getting a medical certificate, so they're going to fly a LSA. Today, there are very few flight incidents due to medical issues. I would hate to see that rise. My high blood pressure was discovered during my flight physical exam, so I do see value in them.

I think a reasonable compromise would be to allow someone to fly LSA's, or the proposed 3rd class exemption, if they get a checkup from any physician every 2 years. No FAA pass/fail involved. Just the doctor's professional guidance.

FlyingRon
09-11-2012, 09:25 AM
I'm not so concerned. I did a survey maybe ten years ago about medical related accidents across both powered aircraft (where presumably people have medicals) and gliders (where presumably we're on self-certification).
I didn't find many incidents of incapacitation in gliders, but more than a few in powered aircraft.

This indicates that either:
1. The third class medical is a lousy screen as it doesn't stop these incapacitations
2. It's unnecessary because the number of incapacitation accidents is so low as to not be statistically a problem.

Either way, I'd vote to get rid of it. Keep the second to protect the "flying public" but leave private pilots alone.

malexander
09-11-2012, 03:13 PM
I'm not so concerned.

This indicates that either:
1. The third class medical is a lousy screen as it doesn't stop these incapacitations
2. It's unnecessary because the number of incapacitation accidents is so low as to not be statistically a problem.

Either way, I'd vote to get rid of it. Keep the second to protect the "flying public" but leave private pilots alone.

I Agree totally!!

johnb
09-11-2012, 07:24 PM
Thanks to everyone who have replied to my inquiry. I take from the reponses to my inquiry: (1) don't get a 3rd class medical and (2) I should be able to fly an E-LSA with a valid driver's license. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I will take Anymouse's suggestion and put inquiry on the pilotsofamerica forum.

For those with concerns about my health and flying, I am a diabetic, taking insulin to control it. I see the doctor 4 times a year and he is please with my progress in controlling my blood sugar.

Again thanks to everyone who replied. Each reply will help in my decision making progress.

regards and thanks
john