PDA

View Full Version : Registered letter from FSDO

ChallengerII
09-08-2012, 11:29 AM
Just received a registered letter in the mail today from Huston FSDO (I live in Florida) stating that I am the registered owner f a certained N numbered Challenger II ELSAand they would like to speak with me regarding the aircraft condition inspection maintenance record entries made for said aircraft. Anyone have any idea what this may be about?

Seems odd that the FAA would express an interest in a ELSA aircraft. I did have the annual condition report signed off by my friend (a licensed A&P) who is also an IA jsut a couple months ago. I spoke with him and he is unsure as to what it could mean.

Anyone else ever received such a letter out of the blue?

Anymouse
09-08-2012, 12:25 PM
Just received a registered letter in the mail today from Houston FSDO (I live in Florida) stating that I am the registered owner of a certain N numbered Challenger II ELSA and they would like to speak with me regarding the aircraft condition inspection maintenance record entries made for said aircraft. Anyone have any idea what this may be about?

Seems odd that the FAA would express an interest in a ELSA aircraft. I did have the annual condition report signed off by my friend (a licensed A&P) who is also an IA just a couple months ago. I spoke with him and he is unsure as to what it could mean.

Anyone else ever received such a letter out of the blue?

Registered letters from the FAA are normally bad news, so my guess is that it's trouble of some sort. If you happen to be an AOPA member and signed up for their legal services plan, I'd suggest giving them a call before calling the FSDO. If not, depending on how much aviation means to you (are you a professional pilot, or just tour the countryside on the weekends), paying for a chat with an aviation lawyer might be helpful in covering your empenage.

Knowing why the Houston FSDO might be interested, when you and supposedly your aircraft are in Florida, could be helpful.

steveinindy
09-08-2012, 12:26 PM
No clue. Just call them and ask. It might just be some thing simple.

Bill Greenwood
09-08-2012, 01:00 PM
Anymouse, he wrote Huston, not Houston, which is in Florida unless that was a typo.
Other than that your advice for hiim to check with AOPA or an aviation lawyer is right on target.
He may have a legal obligation to answer the letter or it may only be a request.
I would not ignore the letter in any case, and if there is nothing to hide he may be able to resolve it easily.

Just an uninformed guess, the FAA may be investigating the A & P and may have sent a letter to all recent planes he worked on, or less likely they may be checking on all ESLA type annuals in the area.

Good luck

ChallengerII
09-08-2012, 01:07 PM
I am a low hour Sport Pilot. got my cert in March of 2011. I have logged 150 hours since. Right after I bought the plane (5/2011) The person I bought the plane from had his A&P do a conditional (was a condition of me buying the plane). He never even ran the engine. On my maiden flight, I had an engine out and made a forced landing in a cow pasture and listed as a "precautionary" landing my pilot logbook at the advise of more experienced pilots I klnow. My recent annual condition report was done in May of this year and my airframe and engine logbooks signed off by a friend who is a commercial pilot, A&P and an IA. I am an AOPA member and have the legal services. Ive done what has supposed to be done and logged everything. Will post more on Monday when the office opens.

Thanks to those responding, much appreciated.

Anymouse
09-08-2012, 03:29 PM
Anymouse, he wrote Huston, not Houston, which is in Florida unless that was a typo.

I've never heard of the Huston FSDO, so I assumed it was a typo.

Based on the OP's follow up post, I'm guessing that the previous A&P is the one the FAA is interested in.

ChallengerII
09-08-2012, 04:47 PM
Sorry, Meant Houston, TX but its actually Fort Worth TX. Others I have spoken to have also said it would appear to be the previous A&P that did the questionable inspection. How would they know he did an inspection on my plane? Do A&Ps have to log inspections (even on ELSA aircraft) with the FAA?

martymayes
09-08-2012, 05:46 PM
Sorry, Meant Houston, TX but its actually Fort Worth TX. Others I have spoken to have also said it would appear to be the previous A&P that did the questionable inspection. How would they know he did an inspection on my plane? Do A&Ps have to log inspections (even on ELSA aircraft) with the FAA?

The FAA is conducting an investigation, based on the information, not sure what they are looking for. "Previous" A&P doesn't mean anything.....if there has been a subsequent inspection, that guy is on the hook more than others because his work supercedes previous inspections. How did they know who has done inspections? They have been fishing. You can speak to them, and they can use any information received to pursue enforcement action. I think I'd get legal advice before calling the FAA to see if it's wise to respond without representation.

Bill Berson
09-08-2012, 06:07 PM
How would they know he did an inspection on my plane? Do A&Ps have to log inspections (even on ELSA aircraft) with the FAA?

That's a good question.
Some FSDO's require that the IA must submit a list of annuals for the IA renewal. Some don't.
I don't know of any FAR that requires this list.
But you can't argue with the FAA much, if you want to get your IA renewed.:(

An A&P ( without IA)doesn't need to comply with the IA renewal process and doesn't need to submit anything after a condition inspection, as far as I know.

martymayes
09-08-2012, 06:17 PM
That's a good question.
Some FSDO's require that the IA must submit a list of annuals for the IA renewal.

Can't count a condition inspection as an annual for 65.93 activity renewal.

Bill Berson
09-08-2012, 08:18 PM
Can't count a condition inspection as an annual for 65.93 activity renewal.That is correct. The FAA activity form doesn't even have any space for listing a condition inspection. I would conclude that no record is required for condition inspections.But, I am still asking if annuals done by IA's must be logged and reported to FAA?

Seems to me that an IA could choose to take the 8 hours training instead of providing a list of annuals.

martymayes
09-08-2012, 09:24 PM
But, I am still asking if annuals done by IA's must be logged and reported to FAA?
No.

Seems to me that an IA could choose to take the 8 hours training instead of providing a list of annuals.
You'd think that would be the case, since it's in the regs. However, the FAA says in addition to 8 hrs of training, one must be "actively engaged" and if you are not employed full time, you have to prove you are actively engaged even though you have completed 8 hrs of training.

Bill Greenwood
09-08-2012, 10:22 PM
As for as confusing Huston, which really is in Florida with Houston; there was a funny thing that I saw/heard years ago.
The great St.Louis Caridnal baseball player, Stan Musial had announced that he was retiring at the end of the season. As he went to each city on the circuit for the last time they usually gave him a farewell ceremony. So Stan comes to bat late in the game with the score tied and a man on base, and Houston draws in their infield to stop the run scoring. At that age Stan no longer had the power he once had, but he still had a good eye and lot's of savvy, so he won the game by dropping a short single just over the first baseman's head and driving in the run.

Just after the game they held the ceremony on the field and gave Stan a plaque. In an accent that sounded like he was from the Bronx, Stan said, "I'd really like to thank all the fine people of Howston for this award."

ChallengerII
09-10-2012, 08:35 AM
Turns out they are looking into someone who may or may not have been involved with the plane a couple years ago. All is good. Whew.