PDA

View Full Version : Renewing Medical. Will I need DUI Red Tape Again?

Pilot
08-30-2012, 09:06 PM
Hi Friends,

I had 2 DUIs
16 and 17 years ago
less than 3 years apart
so 5 years ago, my medical took 6 months to get since FAA wanted all the Court reports, Police reports, Weekend intervention program, stuff.
I had to go practically get a Bachelor in Magnum P.I. and do a Documentary for 2 months to get all that ancient history RED TAPE. Then Oklahoma took another 4 months to tell me
I could fly but keep my nose clean.
So,, 5 years later...
Gonna start back toward my pilot license. I need to renew my 3rd Class Medical before I can solo. Are they going to want ALL THAT red tape again?
I don't know if I can find it digging through all my old files. And I really don't want to have to gather it again from the sources out of state up in NJ and Maine.

Thanks for any help.
Blue skies and planetonic relationships,
Pilot

Anymouse
08-30-2012, 09:56 PM
I'm in the same boat. Answer the question that says you've had the DUIs. Then in the remarks section, enter, "Previously Reported. No Changes."

Eric Page
08-30-2012, 10:47 PM
I can't speak to legal issues, but this exact wording also works in the medical section of the application. I've been using it for years on a couple of issues I had as a teenager. Previously reported, no change. I've never heard another word from the FAA.

FlyingRon
08-31-2012, 04:15 AM
I think you should be OK. They'll have all that history and in this day and age they get news of even an subsequent arrest on DUI (let alone a conviction). The AME may quiz you a bit about what's gone on in the interim but I don't think it would require a deferral or anything.

Pilot
08-31-2012, 09:43 AM
Really! That's FANTASTIC!!!!!. Thanks all of you for your fast help.
I'm so so so happy it's that easy.
I'm so relieved. Thanks.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anymouse
08-31-2012, 11:12 AM
Really! That's FANTASTIC!!!!!. Thanks all of you for your fast help.
I'm so so so happy it's that easy.
I'm so relieved. Thanks.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No problem. Just remember, the folks in OK City won't take kindly if you get in trouble again.

Have fun!!

Pilot
08-31-2012, 08:33 PM
No problem. Just remember, the folks in OK City won't take kindly if you get in trouble again.

Have fun!!

The wife too.
There's no way I'd even drink with that hanging over me. Let alone drink AND drive. I value my flying more than anything. Especially when I bought an airplane this year and put more into it
than I bought it for. 82 Tomahawk II for $26,500. It had a whopping 1500 hours and had been sitting so long it needed 30 grand for everything and the annual. Didn't need a whole lot, there was no corrosion, the plane looked in newish shape. But it's the place I took it to that really stuck it to me. That's okay. I'm renting
it for flight instruction, sight-seeing, hour building etc. A partner of mine (not that kind, you know PODNER, Howdy Podner, like that... in the legal sense), started his flight school with one
Tomahawk about a year ago and now with mine, we are eeking out some living. It's growing and we see light at the end of the tunnel. Since we are not marketing majors, without much advertising it's already netting me about a grand a month since it has been online 2 months. That's about the most thrilling thing in my life since I've always been told "you can't make any money in aviation", "hole in the sky you pour money into", etc.

So, now that the plane is in fantastic shape and making revenue, and promising to make a lot more, :thumbsup:I'm like a simile in a metaphor having to do with hogs.
We are slowly but surely learning how to get students and passengers. I put an ad in the English "PILOT" magazine that's all over UK and Europe that comes out in their October issue in a couple weeks.
That should get some mates, chaps, blokes, ladies, and lads, over here for time building, finish-ups, and vacationing, getting some sun, out of the foggy soggy winter.

Way off topic. But yes the Okies told me they wouldn't take kindly so I believe them. They are such a serious bunch and I wouldn't have it any other way.
There's no way I'd risk what I've worked so hard for just to drink some I.Q. reducing, jerk enhancer. Farthest thing from my mind.
I'd rather take an arrow to the knee.

Anymouse
08-31-2012, 09:25 PM
Awesome!!

Eddie King
09-08-2012, 06:51 PM
You should have bought an Aircraft that qualifies for Lite Sport and just fly with a Drivers license and no Medical.
A bonus is they don't burn as much fuel.