PDA

View Full Version : Wiring diagrams for David Clark 10-40 headset

EDGEFLY
08-27-2012, 12:30 PM
Does anyone here have the wiring diagram for a DC 10-40 ? I need the wiring layout for the PTT circuit and associated interconnects to the plug which interfaces with an intercom or directly to a transmitter.EDGEFLY

FlyingRon
08-27-2012, 12:58 PM
The smaller plug is the microphone. The tip is the PTT (transmits when shorted to sleeve). The Ring and Sleeve are the microphone.

Note that the microphone jacks in an aircraft radio model an old carbon mike transmitter. They put a voltage across the two contacts and expect a variable resistance based on the spoken amplitude. The 10-40 electret mike element uses the bias voltage to power the internal preamp.

The larger plug is the headset. If it's a mono headphone (like the 10-40), tip and sleeve go to the earphone. If it's stereo, tip is LEFT, ring is RIGHT, sleeve is common.

Jim Hann
08-29-2012, 11:03 AM
From DC's website:
http://www.davidclark.com/PDFfiles/H10-40Parts.pdf

P (http://www.davidclark.com/PDFfiles/H10-40Parts.pdf)age 2

EDGEFLY
08-29-2012, 05:56 PM
Jim Hann,Thanks so much for such a comprehensive answer. I must be going blind or daffy or something. I went to the DC site and some how missed this. Somewhere I saw a statement from them that the 10-40 was no longer supported and probably just didn't try hard enough. Anyway, again, thank you for your effort to help.

Jim Hann
08-30-2012, 12:00 PM
Jim Hann,Thanks so much for such a comprehensive answer. I must be going blind or daffy or something. I went to the DC site and some how missed this. Somewhere I saw a statement from them that the 10-40 was no longer supported and probably just didn't try hard enough. Anyway, again, thank you for your effort to help.

Edge,

Google is your friend. Some times you'll find things with it that the owner hasn't removed from the web but has "hidden" by removing the link on their main page. DC also seems to be an honest company, they don't support it but aren't trying to force you to buy a new one. I had also been on their site recently looking for info on another DC headset, a M3332 (yes, it is an aviation headset.)

Glad I could help!

Jim