PDA

View Full Version : Newbie in Oklahoma looking forward to flying again.

Bryanps71
08-20-2012, 08:48 PM
Hello all:I'm a private pilot and hold a A&P certificate but I haven't flown for 10 years. I'm going to be buying some land and a home in the country soon and I'd love to be able to operate my own UL or LSA from my back yard. Anybody from my local area? (SW OKC) Its been so long since I thought I could afford to fly I almost don't know where/how to get started. What's changed? Any advice would be appreciated and cordial greetings from anyone greatly appreciated. God bless America! Where else can a country boy that only ever dreamed of flying actually operate from his own back yard without being a millionaire?

Dan Grunloh
08-20-2012, 10:46 PM
Hello all:I'm a private pilot and hold a A&P certificate but I haven't flown for 10 years. I'm going to be buying some land and a home in the country soon and I'd love to be able to operate my own UL or LSA from my back yard. Anybody from my local area? (SW OKC) Its been so long since I thought I could afford to fly I almost don't know where/how to get started. What's changed? Any advice would be appreciated and cordial greetings from anyone greatly appreciated. God bless America! Where else can a country boy that only ever dreamed of flying actually operate from his own back yard without being a millionaire?

I have been flying from a strip on my farm for 14 years and I have been retired the last 10 years. There is nothing better than having your airplane 3 minutes from your front door. Usually no problem if land is zoned agriculture. Some states require that N-numbered aircraft be operated only from registered private airstrips that meet minimum clearance and size requirements. Illinois is one such state but it is rarely enforced unless you are flying conventional GA planes out of the cow pasture.

Bryanps71
08-20-2012, 11:04 PM
That's an important consideration. Ill check into it before I proceed. I can't imagine an aviation centric state like Oklahoma would restrict flight operations off of private property but it bears investigation. If anybody from Oklahoma can Chime in here I'd appreciate it. I've dreamed of flying out of my own back yard all my life so hopefully I will find that it is allowed. Heck if my local sheriff will sign off on an batf form 4 for me I bet a small airplane will be no issue. :-)

malexander
08-21-2012, 04:25 AM
Hey neighbor:
I live at Twin Lakes (2OK2). I'm at SE 134th & Choctaw Rd. Give me a call (405) 417-6077, we need to go flying. My brother & I own a C-150, & he built an RV9A. Both are hangared at my house. It's 20' from my house to my hangar.:)

Bryanps71
08-21-2012, 09:07 AM
Wow thanks. That's a tremendously neighborly offer. Ill call this afternoon and maybe we can set up something for labor day weekend.

malexander
08-21-2012, 01:15 PM
If the number I gave you goes to voice mail, use (405) 370-0744. The first number is a Sprint # & it doesn't work worth hoot in my shop. But the other # is Nextel and works great.

Labor day WE sound great.

Marshall

Bryanps71
08-26-2012, 04:35 PM
I met Mr. Alexander today Aug 26th and he took me for a ride. What a lucky guy he has his hangar next to his home and he can taxi the 1/4 mile from his driveway to the runway down his little neighborhood street. Thanks again Sir for an awesome ride and tour of the area by plane. I came home and told my wife we needed to start looking at residential airparks or af least add an item to the budget for me to go flying once or twice a month (preferably twice) and she said "I need lemons and tomatoes for the salmon were having for dinner." Hey that's not a "No!" Its going to take a while to get me back in the air on a regular basis but I'm chomping at the bit to get recurrent and introduce my kids to aviation.

malexander
08-26-2012, 07:30 PM
Well, if the weather cooperates this weekend, we'll go to Ponca City for breakfast. I usually leave 2OK2 at 6:15 or 6:30.

Bryanps71
08-27-2012, 12:26 AM
Well that sounds like a lot of fun. Its a bit early in the day for me though. I work swing shift until midnight so its early for me to get out of bed in time for lunch. Besides I owe you one. Maybe next timeE I could take you to the range and ill buy all the ammo. I love shooting 2 liter bottles full of water and various kinds of produce. Ever seen what a .45 will do to a honeydew melon? You have a bunch of honey dos?BLAM BLAM BLAMNot anymore! Thanks again Marshall I had a blast.