PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Insurance During an Event

PaulDow
08-20-2012, 09:05 AM
I've got a question about chapter liability for damage to aircraft during events. I could have just called Karen, but I thought this may be of interest to other people too.
We haven't had any damage incidents, but did have a "Oooo, we didn't know we were that close." situation. I know there's an option to purchase aircraft damage insurance, but it's quite expensive for our size chapter, and we don't have any facility or regular aircraft activity.
I'm asking about pushing aircraft related to an event. Most of the time, the operator is there, but occasionally we've moved planes, with permission from the owner/operator, without them present. Does event insurance cover the chapter, or do we need to have the owner/operator in direct control of any plane movement?

Thanks

rleffler
08-20-2012, 10:20 AM
I'm asking about pushing aircraft related to an event. Most of the time, the operator is there, but occasionally we've moved planes, with permission from the owner/operator, without them present. Does event insurance cover the chapter, or do we need to have the owner/operator in direct control of any plane movement?

I don't have the answer to your question, but I'm sure that's a rathole that the EAA doesn't want to go down. The aircraft could be anything from a simple C152 to a Citation or Gulfstream. The most common damage I've seen is from a ramp person damaging a wheel pant becuase they don't use the proper towbar or know how to tow that particular model of aircraft. My personal opnion is that I would only have the owner/operator move their aircraft to minimize the risk exposure. I suspect that the EAA will have a similiar opinion. That is why they require a minimal insurance level from each pilot flying an aircraft before their umbrella policy kicks in. I will be pleasantly surprized if that is something the umbrella policy covers.

bob