PDA

View Full Version : Idea: Traveling Chapter Leaders Academy

Trevor Janz
08-17-2012, 11:24 AM
This is excellent. I just wanted to chime in. Jeff Skiles and I are looking at taking the Chapter Leadership Academy on the road. Many chapters cannot afford to send their leaders to Oshkosh for the weekend workshop. We are considering breaking the country down by regions...having a Chapter host the "Leadership Academy"...and then invite other EAA Chapters within a certain mile radius.

Any thoughts?

Jim Heffelfinger
08-17-2012, 12:08 PM
Trevor.... move this traveling Leadersahip Academy idea to it's own thread..... I will add my thoughts
JIm Heffelfinger
Sacramento

Hal Bryan
08-17-2012, 12:37 PM
Trevor.... move this traveling Leadersahip Academy idea to it's own thread..... I will add my thoughts
JIm Heffelfinger
Sacramento

Done.

rosiejerryrosie
08-18-2012, 06:19 AM
Traveling Chapter Leaders Academy is a great idea. Would allow more leaders to attend and would send the message that headquarters is actually really interested in chapters.

FunInAviation
08-18-2012, 06:42 AM
Are you still going to have some of the leadership academies at OSH? That's part of the fun, to be able to walk the grounds, tour the museum, etc.

Jim Heffelfinger
08-19-2012, 11:25 AM
Trevor,
I also agree that the important piece about travel to HQ is the ability to connect with nearly all the key staff and Paul and Audrey. These, and more, are elements that cannot possibly be taken on the road.

I had not been to OSH, yet had spent many hours on line, watching and wishing I was there for AV. My heart and spirit wanted to be there but plans made to attend had to be changed for family and work over a number of years.

I attended Leadership Academy in February of 2011. It was a treasure to be treated in such a respectful manner, to connect and share with other chapter leaders from around the country, to have open access to EAA staff during unstructured social time, to have such a focused effort on chapter development during meeting “on” time and “off” time in the lodge. My chapter partner was unable to travel at the last minute and I was solo – I spent lots of time in the quiet hours working on a chapter action plan.

I was impressed that Steve Buss remembered that I had a few key topics on the 365 forum. I mentioned that I was unable to be with my first grandchild for his 5th birthday and magically a handful of youth aviation projects showed up on my assigned seat. We had dinner with Paul and Audrey, an open Q&A plus a personally guided tour of the Founders Wing.

The Air Academy lodge is a monument to the passion for aviation and the support of youth by very generous donors. It is a beautiful building, full of wall memorabilia that can take hours to view. The food was great, plenty of it, served with a smile and a thanks for coming. At night there were snacks and drinks in the open frig for those with body time issues. Beer and wine for social times and 3 vans for the asking. I really felt pampered – kind of like a spa resort weekend - only with planes. Heaven !

The topping for me was the museum. Entering from the staff entrance there was such sudden flood of history and individual passion of flight that I had to step away and deal with the flood of tears. The tour was quite a ways along before I was back with them. We had open access to the museum. Crawled inside a few planes, left a few unintentional nose prints on the Bugatti canopy, took in pieces of history that are found in no other place on earth. I shot over 400 frames in the museum alone.

I had a bonus day too. It snowed Sunday evening – enough to scramble flights well into the next. Soooo I HAD to stay another night ( darn) and about 8 of use were able to tour the Sonex factory hosted by John and Jeremy Monnett. We were able to see the work on the Onex, Subsonex, and e flight work in the Hornet’s Nest and tour the warehouse during the 3 hours.

My contribution to the long weekend nearly $0, Chapter – plane flight, EAA - priceless.
Hard to take that … on the road.

Jim Heffelfinger
08-19-2012, 11:34 AM
Sorry I outed the least known benefit that EAA offers.

Jeff Point
08-19-2012, 11:42 AM
Jim H. hit it on the head. There is so much to the event that is interwoven with the EAA facilities themselves that it would be nearly impossible to duplicate that on the road. To Jim's list I will add one more- the bus tour of the convention grounds (I attended in April 2008) was a great thing for everyone, to see the grounds during the off season, and to see and hear about improvement in progress and in the plans. I was shocked at the number of people in the bus who had never even been to Oshkosh before (and these are all chapter leaders.)

I suggest as an alternative, that you look into taking the money that would go to the road show (including the local chapters' investment, which could be a lot) and put that into subsidizing distant chapters to send their leaders. All that would really be needed is airfare into MKE and a shuttle bus. EAA already pays for all the room and board.

Jim Heffelfinger
08-19-2012, 11:46 AM
During Rod's grass roots tour at Golden West Fly-in last year there were a number of the members who were feeling left behind and isolated (their choice) from the direction of EAA national. They were really hammering on Rod - the usual "it's not the same as it was" stuff. I suggested re-connection through attending Leadership Academy. I got a wink from Rod - as he moved on in the questions.

Jim Heffelfinger
08-19-2012, 11:50 AM
Grounds tour !!! it was too windy, cold and eventually snow covered to tour the grounds in Feb. Would have been great.

Jim Heffelfinger
08-19-2012, 11:58 AM
Soo now that we know duplicating the L.A. program would not be the same...
I think some kind of a tour could be of great benefit - in a different way.
As chapters age out, many are no longer able to do all the activities "in house" as before. Chapter collaboration, thought pooling of talent and volunteers by a number of chapters, might be a 'shot in the arm' for the whole. Facilitating /Developing chapter connections could be a great benefit.
The added publicity of a regional tour might get a greater number of chapter members involved. Creating synergy. Kind of like a tent revival meeting for engagement in chapter activities.
Thoughts to build on....

Jim Heffelfinger
08-19-2012, 12:05 PM
[QUOTE=Jeff Point;21678]Jim H. hit it on the head. I was shocked at the number of people in the bus who had never even been to Oshkosh before (and these are all chapter leaders.)

Chapter leaders are frequently still involved in other activities such as careers, families, sports, and have a hard time getting away in the middle of the summer. The ones with time on their hands to travel are commonly not members of the board - I know it sounds strange but a poll would bea me out.

CarlOrton
08-19-2012, 01:27 PM
*snip* Chapter collaboration, thought pooling of talent and volunteers by a number of chapters, might be a 'shot in the arm' for the whole. Facilitating /Developing chapter connections could be a great benefit.
The added publicity of a regional tour might get a greater number of chapter members involved. Creating synergy. Kind of like a tent revival meeting for engagement in chapter activities.
Thoughts to build on....
Like this? http://nteaaco.org/ We're far from being able to say it's the best thing going, but we're on a good start. Still have the issue of the more senior members being able to travel the distance between Dallas & Ft Worth (not the distance, the road warriors). This September has our first joint effort with a public event, so we'll see how things turn out.

rosiejerryrosie
08-19-2012, 01:44 PM
I almost hate to say this, but I will - EAA is NOT national headquarters - it IS the chapters. While the select few who get to go to Osh for a leaders acadamy probably get a great deal out of the trip and the connection with the roots of the organiazation, it might also be good for the leadership to get in touch with the GRASSroots of the organization by getting the show out in the field to see what is the real EAA. Getting chapter leaders together on a regional basis just might have some positive side effects even without the glitz and glamour of a shindig at National with all its impressive features. Problems, advantages, needs and abilities are more likely to be regional in nature ....just a thought....

Jim Heffelfinger
08-19-2012, 02:50 PM
Yes Carl, Exactly !
My chapter tried a swap meet including all the area chapters - it was not as we hoped. We will do it again, trying to establish a regular opportunity to connect with fellow EAA members outside of our chapter. Luckily we have the funding stream to support a loosing event. But not forever.

Jerry you are right, EAA is local, but the thread begs the answer to what can national do to bolster the chapter engagement?
If the chapters were healthy there would be limited reason for LA or this thread. Not the case in the big picture.
I was really impressed at the PR effort to get Rod out and about to the regional areas. It was a good thing IMHO as the "masses" were concerned about the non-family member change. Especially since Tom has really stepped out of the spot lights.

Going to LA is not expensive for the chapter... just plane fare and many of those who were at my LA were self sponsored. It's under $800 in today's dollars from Sacramento. There is real value to the LA program - beyond the words written here. I encourage those who care about their chapters future step up and sign up for the next LA date.
http://www.cla.eaachapter.org/schedule.htm
(http://www.cla.eaachapter.org/schedule.htm)
jim

FunInAviation
08-20-2012, 09:13 AM
Are you still going to have some of the leadership academies at OSH? That's part of the fun, to be able to walk the grounds, tour the museum, etc.

No answer to my question?

Trevor Janz
08-20-2012, 09:53 AM
Hello Smitty,

Yes, we will be having a Chapter Leadership Academy here in Oshkosh this October 26-28th. http://cla.eaachapter.org/

Jeff Skiles and I are working on taking the Leadership Academy on the road for the Fall of 2012 and Spring of 2013. We are considering dividing the country into regions and having a regional chapter academy and invite all chapter leaders within that region to the weekend academy. Will keep you posted.

We do plan on heading out to the West Coast and are working out our travel schedule for 2012 and 2013.

If you have any questions, feel free to email me directly at tjanz@eaa.org

Blue skies,

Trevor

PaulDow
08-21-2012, 08:18 AM
I think taking the program on the road would be good for chapters a long distance away (maybe > 800 miles). Many participants would still have the expense of a hotel room for a couple of nights. The biggest downside I see would be the reduced exposure to the staff since there would be a limited number of people travelling from Oshkosh. Hearing from Brenda, Dick, Tom (now Rod), and of course Audrey and Paul was very informative.
Have you done a report that may show areas of the country that are underserved? Put the cities of past participants into an online map, and compare it to the map in the Founder's Wing. (Although my chapter is in Vermont there.)

Trevor Janz
08-22-2012, 08:24 AM
Thank you very much for the feedback. Valuable feedback.

At this time, we were not planning on canceling the Oshkosh Academy. Completely agree that it is the experience of being in Oshkosh without all the people during convention and an opportunity to meet wtih Paul and see the museum, Pioneer Airport etc etc.

We do want to be able to travel more and visit chapters this fall and into next year...and the years to come.

This is the type of feedback we need, prior to making a decision here at HQ. To be honest....my feeling is that we jump the gun...make a decision...without even asking our Chapters.

Thank you again for taking the time to give feedback. Much appreciated!

Trevor

Lyle Peterson
08-23-2012, 05:43 PM
The idea is not a new one. I attended a Chapter Leaders Workshop at Lake Elmo, MN. It was very good but lacked the depth that would have been available if there were more of the EAA staff on hand to answer questions that were not in the speaker's area of expertise. Chapter event insurance is an area that should be covered in depth and with explanations of how and why certain things are done or required. Risk Management should be represented. Someone from Membership should be there to answer recruiting questions.

At times I have wished I could attend the workshop but as I am no longer and officer I am not invited. There are often others in a chapter that are in key roles that should also be attending the workshops. Young Eagles Coordinators, event coordinators and membership coordinators could benefit from many of the topics covered at the workshops. The entire operation of a chapter is intertwined between all the coordinators as well as the general membership. Perhaps some information could be printed or developed as a audio/visual presentation for the chapter members so they better understand the workings of their chapter and the EAA. Some chapter officers aren't aware of the Technical Counselor or the Flight Advisers programs. New chapter officers should receive a book, not a booklet or a brochure, explaining the programs available and their responsibilities as a chapter officer. There is so much to be had from EAA that will benefit chapters that a once a month e-mail won't cover all of it. However, officers should automatically be put on that e-mail list.

EAA chapters are the real core of the EAA. Imagine, if you will, the EAA without any chapters. It would be a monument in a "Field of Dreams." Just because you build it does not mean people will come. That only happens in the movies.

Travel is expensive and finding the time on a particular week end may not be possible for some. A two day workshop 2500 miles from home becomes a four or five day trip.

At the Lake Elmo workshop a prize was given for the attendee who had flown the furthest to be there. The winner had flown a commercial flight from California. Someone from EAA raised the question of his eligibility. The audience agreed that he qualified and he was awarded the prize.

Lyle Peterson
EAA Chapter 237
EAA #269676

kmisegades@bellsouth.net
08-23-2012, 05:46 PM
This is excellent. I just wanted to chime in. Jeff Skiles and I are looking at taking the Chapter Leadership Academy on the road. Many chapters cannot afford to send their leaders to Oshkosh for the weekend workshop. We are considering breaking the country down by regions...having a Chapter host the "Leadership Academy"...and then invite other EAA Chapters within a certain mile radius.

Any thoughts?

No offense, but I think that headquarters would probably stand to learn quite a bit more from chapter leaders than vice-versa. I do not know many chapter leaders who wait to be told what to do, since they generally have a lifetime of leading businesses, families, community organizations, etc.

What IS needed however are experienced chapter leaders to serve as regional directors to keep chapters motivated, help them communicate with each other, and provide ideas. Since they are local, they can react quicker and already have well-established networks. The EAA already does this with YE Field Coordinators, with its freelance ad salespeople, and the AOPA has done this for years. The recently re-established Sport Aviation Association (from Paul P.) is quickly setting up state representatives to help tap into existing networks. Why not pay these regional directors on pure commission based on member and chapter retention as well as chapter and member growth? It will only be a net plus for the organization nationally and locally.

DonFromTX
08-23-2012, 05:55 PM
I attended the chapter leaders academy the same time as Jim (Hi Jim), and echo his sentiments. It would seem to me that both mobile LA AND Oshkosh LA could be accomplished. Our chapter has the feeling that EAA HQ has really forgotten about us way down here off the beaten path. Although the LA was extremely valuable to me, and well worth the plane fare, not everyone is willing to furnish the time and money it takes to attend. Perhaps the same money spent to bring the teachers to us, could be spent on furnishing plane fare assistance to chapter leaders. My job as chapter president would be so much easier if all the chapter officers could attend, it should be a prerequisite for being elected to the post.

Awhite
08-23-2012, 06:23 PM
I wholeheartedly agree that much of the connection I have felt from the two sessions(OK I'm spoiled rotten) i have attended has been rhe interaction with EAA staff and the "behind the scenes" tours are priceless.
I am fortunate to live within an easy flight of OSH, and volunteer during Airventure so I already knew many of the staff, but getting to know them outside the pressure of the main event brings a better appreciation of both the commitment of EAA staff, and their level of dedication to supporting chapters and individual members. I think replicating that experience would be very difficult in the field.
Perhaps a partnership with the airlines to offer significant fare discounts would help make travel to Oshkosh more palatable.

jfkenton
08-23-2012, 11:07 PM
Some 15 years ago (maybe longer) there was a traveling Leadership program. Several of us at EAA 96 in the L.A. area attended one in San Diego. Attending the program at OSH is great, but more of our leaders can be reached if you go out to them. Many will never take the time nor spend the money to get to the program in OSH. Jack Kenton

Jim Heffelfinger
08-24-2012, 10:04 AM
I propose 2 Leadership programs. Fixed and mobile.
OSH – leave it as it is – a fabulous experience. Connecting with the staff and national chapter members
Mobile - has a slightly different focus. Chapter members working together on their needs in breakout sessions
Instead of one or two chapter members to OSH bring 4-5+ to the mobile.
Larger format – 60-80 attendees. Networking with regional leaders ( collaborative)

All hands - common to all critical knowledge/skills topics and keynote
· The big picture – key note
· Changing times
· The lost to computers generation – recruitment
· Developing collaborative relations between chapters
The three legged stool ( actually 6 legs )

Breakouts -
· Fund raising
· More recruitment
· NP incorporation
· Newsletters
· Programs
· Media relations
· YE/E program
· Community outreach
· Volunteers
· Brain storming
· Websites
· …….?

Trevor Janz
08-24-2012, 10:24 AM
Thank you again for all the feedback. Please keep it coming. :)

rleffler
08-24-2012, 10:27 AM
All hands - common to all critical knowledge/skills topics and keynote
· The big picture – key note
· Changing times
· The lost to computers generation – recruitment
· Developing collaborative relations between chapters
The three legged stool ( actually 6 legs )

Breakouts -
· Fund raising
· More recruitment
· NP incorporation
· Newsletters
· Programs
· Media relations
· YE/E program
· Community outreach
· Volunteers
· Brain storming
· Websites

All good, but I think there are two important topics omitted:

EAA's 5-10 year plan
Chapter's 5-10 year plan

Hopefully, both plans will be complimentary. Some of the current discourse has come due to lack of communications and not understanding the goals and direction of the organization. Planning needs to be a top down dialogue. Planning from the bottom up (i.e. focusing on all the great tasks that you've outlined) yields great delivery of those tasks, but may yield mixed results in regards to any long term plan.

For example, do you want to attract and retain homebuilders, GA pilots, GA owners, formation flyers, aerobatic flyers, vintage restoration folks, aviation enthusiasts, etc.? The strategies and programs you build may be different depending on your goals and objectives. It's hard to develop a program, specifically at the local level that is all things to all folks.

Obviously, there is no "right" answer to any of these questions, but it does create some interesting dialogue when you hear other's views. I've held several leadership positions in a rather large chapter. I'm sad to say that we failed by attempting to be all things to all people and didn't do everything we attempted well. In retrospect, I think it may be better to a smaller chapter that specializes in one or two areas that be a large chapter that just kind of flounders through them all. Getting a lot of people to join a chapter doesn't mean anything if you can't keep people engaged and happy. They will eventually quit going to meetings.

Because of my experience, I very much endorse the traveling meetings and getting multiple chapters from the region to participate. On a side note for Trevor, if you need assistance in organizing anything in the central Ohio area, I am more than happy to volunteer.

bob

kk6mm
10-22-2012, 07:53 PM
This is a great idea. I think that sharing ideas among chapters is beneficial to all, but traveling to Oshkosh is a little pricey. If it ever comes to Northern California, count me in. If it ever comes to Redding, we can arrange a meeting place and whatever else is needed.
Jim Bremer
Chapter 157
Redding, CA