PDA

View Full Version : Flight Simulation Subforum?

fanjet
07-27-2012, 03:17 PM
Well, I am new to this forum, and like to fly on my PC, and I was wondering why there isn't a subforum for general flight simulation discussion?

steveinindy
07-27-2012, 10:37 PM
Because there are a ton of other forums specifically for that and most of the members here don't play around on flight sim?

fanjet
07-28-2012, 02:43 PM
Well, some of us are to young to get out pilot's license yet, and creating a subforum for flight simulation/RC Flying/Aviation Models would be a good idea.

Jim Rosenow
07-28-2012, 02:59 PM
Because there are a ton of other forums specifically for that and most of the members here don't play around on flight sim?

...as there are other forums for general aviation, aerobatics, maintenance, etc. Aren't we trying to attract the younger folks with an aviation interest?

You may be surprised how many of us sim, Steve...pilot of 40 years, own 2 aircraft....sim thru the northern winters playing with instrument procedures, etc.

Just my $.02...no offense intended.

steveinindy
07-29-2012, 10:57 AM
Just my $.02...no offense intended.

None taken in the slightest. I'm a flight simmer myself (formerly FS9/FSX and now X-Plane 10) as well as a VATSIM controller. Actually I am planning on using a mockup and X-Plane 10 to fine tune the cockpit layout of my design.
l.

Aren't we trying to attract the younger folks with an aviation interest?

I honestly did not think of it that way since most of the flight simmers (after over 10 years in the hobby) I know are not kids or even teens. The majority seem to be in their thirties and forties.

Jim Rosenow
07-29-2012, 11:40 AM
The majority seem to be in their thirties and forties.

Heck, to me those ARE the younger folks! :-)

Bill
07-29-2012, 03:33 PM
The EAA Forums, except perhaps, for Hangar Talk, Airventure Oshkosh, Marketplace, and Homebuilders Corner are grossly underutilized as it is, especially considering the 176 thousand or so officially counted EAA members that are potential contributors. To add another forum would just dilute the modest amount of traffic in the existing forums. I believe it is just over a year now since we left the old, terrible Oshkosh 365 Forum (Thank you Hal, Thank you Hal, Thank you Hal:)). Assuming that the thread count shown for each of the existing forums started then, most of the forums have had only a few tens of threads over a one-year period. I don't understand this lack of use. I'm a member of other organizations with much smaller memberships and their forums are far more heavily utilized. Just compare VAF forum activity to EAA forum activity. Gosh, there's an order of magnitude difference.

I would go ahead and post flight simulator discussions on the Hangar Talk forum, you certainly won't overwhelm it!