PDA

View Full Version : 3rd class medical denied ...

TommyEAA
07-26-2012, 09:25 PM
I have spent this entire summer working my tail off to get my private pilot license. Looking back, I should have dealt with my medical first to make sure there weren't any complications, but I didn't. I fell more and more in love with flying the more immersed I became in it. I was focusing too much on just getting my hours before I have to go back to UCF mid August. The AME that recently conducted my examination flagged two medications I take for a neuropathic pain in my shoulder (Neurontin and Elavil), a residual effect from my Chiari Malformation that was corrected ten years ago...

The FAA's problem with these meds is that they MIGHT cause drowsiness, although I have been taking them for TEN YEARS and haven't experienced any side effects whatsoever. If anything I need more sleep than I am getting now. This is another reason i waited on the medical; I had been under the impression these medications were virtually side-effect-free. Thing is, I have to take them. The pain is too much without them and according to my neurologist there aren't any substitutes that don't state "drowsiness" as a possible side effect. I understand the FAA's obvious concern with this but as my neurologist explained, my meds only have this slight effect when you first start taking them (when I was 10). I would never consider flying if I thought the safety of myself or anyone else is in jeopardy.

So even though my AME said to "wait 2-4 weeks to hear from the FAA regarding the necessary information about your condition/medications," what I got instead was the cut and dry denial letter. What is the best way to get past this? Is a reconsideration request a waste of my time? The deadline is August 18th. Also, if I stopped taking these medications (I'm looking into nerve blocks) how should I go about explaining this to the FAA.

Flying is a major passion of mine and I had hoped to pursue a career in chartering or flying for a regional airline. Obviously these ambitions now seem slightly out of reach... but I won't give up on this because the simple truth remains: I am perfectly capable of safely operating aircraft. Isn't that the point?

Any advice on the topic or similar experiences would be much appreciated.

rleffler
07-27-2012, 04:13 AM
If aren't an aopa member, join today. Their medical team does a good job working through these issues. The aopa has a list of allowed medications on their web site. Talk with you doctor if there are alternative medications that may be allowed. That page is interactive, so you can query it from your phone or if your doctor has Internet access while your talking to the doctor. If you want to fly, this is probably your only avenue.

TommyEAA
07-27-2012, 08:41 AM
I am a member of AOPA and have contacted them. They said I would need to stop taking the medication for 90 days and then provide a status report from my doctor. Even then a response isn't guaranteed... I would try other neuropathic medications but like I said they all have this same side effect and are prohibited. My only hope is to stop taking the medication and look for other treatments like nerve blocks. It's hard not to get angry/upset about this when I know I am okay to fly. The FAA needs to be a little more lenient about medicals or at the very least provide pilots with a better way of proving that they are safe to fly. I can only imagine how many other kids like me have experienced this same disappointment.

Wilfred
07-27-2012, 10:10 AM
My head hurts thinking about fighting the FAA Medical problem you describe. Too many pilots I know got past this and were put on 'special issuance' and finally got tired of the tests and exams they have to do over and over. They finally said "It isn't worth it" and sold planes and hangars and just quit aviation altogether. Really sad.

Not trying to show how I am better, but facing turning 80-years old, I began building an ELSA and sold my RV6A. I let my 3rd class medical expire last September and just do the driver's license thing with my PPL.

I think I made a good decision; but if the FAA approves the EAA/AOPA request to allow DL in lieu of the 3rd class med, then I screwed up because I really liked my RV6A. The ELSA is fine, just not as fast. I flew again this morning...5th time this week ! So at least me and the ELSA are getting a lot of fun together.

I hope you get your problem sorted out...keep trying, its worth it.

WeaverJ3Cub
07-27-2012, 11:04 AM
Tommy, first let me say that I'm very sorry to hear that. That's my worst nightmare as a pilot, and it hurts to read your story.

The FAA is pretty crazy when it comes to this kind of stuff. However, DON'T give up! My first flight instructor had triple bypass heart surgery after a stress test revealed that his 4 main arteries were 100% to 85% blocked. He was a walking heart attack. A year later, he has his medical back (I'm not sure if it is a Special Issuance or not) and is once again happily flying and instructing. I'm not a doctor, but his condition seems like it is just as bad (if not worse than) yours, so I'm sure you can fight through this.

Are you a member of AOPAs Pilot Protection Services or did you just call their pilot help number? If not, I'd keep trying the AOPA Medical Services Program. Those guys know what they're doing.

Maybe someone could correct me, but if you did successfully get your medical, couldn't you just let it expire and fly LSA-only? Of course you'd be giving up the charter/regional airline job, but at least you'd be flying.

http://lsapilot.beasportpilot.com/airplane-lsa-pilot/sport-aircraft-pilots/sport-pilot-medical/

TommyEAA
07-27-2012, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the sympathy. I just checked out the pilot protection service and will probably invest in that, it looks like they specialize in this area. My understanding of the LSA category is that I'm automatically disqualified because I already have a denied medical. Regardless, I'm going to push for getting my medical approved so I can continue where i left off, even though it will most likely be months before anything gets going. On the positive side of things, my father has a lawyer who deals with aviation issues and also happens to know the FAA manager who addressed the denial letter to me. Maybe this will allow me to skip the waiting period for a response, if we have any luck with her. Fingers crossed!

somorris
07-27-2012, 07:40 PM
Good luck Tommy. This medical thing, especially for a Class III, is totally out of control, in my opinion. As Wilfred and WeaverJ3Cub said, most people can eventually manage to get a medical, but at what cost?

You may continue to have issues since you want to pursue a career hauling other people around. Those people being hauled around have a right to have the expectation that "someone in the government" is looking out for them. Kind of like when you go into a high rise building. You expect the engineers who designed the structure to be held to a certain level and that the building won't fall on you while you are in there. There are government entities that oversee the practice of engineering just like there are government entities that oversee the nation's airspace system and its use.

There are a lot of ways to make a living in aviation besides flying for the airlines or charter. You may want to investigate all your options. Good luck!

Jf1450
07-28-2012, 01:49 PM
Run, don't walk, to the POA forum and put in a call to Dr. Bruce.

-Jeff

WeaverJ3Cub
07-28-2012, 08:42 PM
There are a lot of ways to make a living in aviation besides flying for the airlines or charter.

Tommy, somorris has an excellent point there. While people think of the airlines first when considering aviation jobs, there are far more than that. For example, there are two airports near me that operate large skydiving operations, and another private airport about 10 miles from my house that exists for that sole purpose. When I stopped by the private field about a month ago just to say hi, by the time I left, they were pushing hard for me to get my commercial and fly for them during the weekdays. That's just one example, but makes the point, I think.

Ag flying is always an option too. Looks like fun at least! :) I don't know where you live, but around here in Ohio, there are ag planes buzzing around all summer.

Those are just two non-airline jobs that come to mind. I'm sure others will have more....

mwunsworth
08-16-2012, 06:46 PM
I just went through this a couple years ago. I was taking an anti anxiety med and indicated this on the 3rd class medical application. The FAA doctor told me i can't take this type of meds and said I would be denied. Of course a few weeks later, I got the denial letter in the mail. I think it came via certified mail so quite official. I went off the meds and waited 3 months. Went and saw my family doctor and had him write a letter stating that I was off the meds for 3 months and that I was doing fine. I sent this letter to the FAA and within 30 days I got my medical certificate in the mail. They didn't question anything. Once they had the letter, they issued the medical. I did follow up with them on the phone once or twice to make sure they got the letter and if there was any issues with it. I finished out my PPL last year and have been flying a Cherokee 180 ever since. Loving it.

Tlim486
08-25-2012, 07:10 PM
Tommy, I hope you are still fighting this, I had the same passion spent the time and money to learn and got 2 denial letters, I had issues due to Kidney stones and it took 18 months and two surgery's to get it cleared, Stay after it, use AOPA as a rescource. I made my mind up I was going to get there and did. There is hope.

tml

David Pavlich
12-13-2012, 05:44 PM
Wow! I'm hoping to start working on my private license and thought about getting my physical before I even started lessons. After reading through this thread, I will definately get the physical first. I know I could go for a Sport certificate, but that's not my goal. Very eye opening.

David

Chick
12-14-2012, 12:19 AM
Mr Pavlich, I would never discourage anyone pursuing their dream of flight; however, if you start a medical and are denied, it disqualifies you for light sport. If you have any medical issues consult with an A.M.E. before you start an FAA physical. I wish you much success in your flying.

David Pavlich
12-14-2012, 10:40 AM
Hi Chick,

First, my name is David. "Mr." makes me feel old. :-) Thanks for that rather large bit of information. I guess I should wait until just before my solo?

David

I_FLY_LOW
08-02-2013, 10:18 PM
Any luck regaining your medical?

FS-MP
08-03-2013, 10:39 AM
Tommy,

I feel you pain and frustration, and hope you get the situation resolved in a timely manner.

On a slightly different subject, I think it was quite unforgivable, that your Flight school, did not talk to you about this before they eagerly took your money, and started your flight training. Totally IRRESPONSIBLE really -- they should have been aware that this is a potential issue for anyone starting to learn to be a pilot, and have advised you to secure your 3rd class medical, before committing a considerably amount of money for your training.

Maybe they did, and you choose to put it off. ?

Even then, I believe that they really should have insisted, that you secured your Medical, much earlier on during your training.

Geoff

I_FLY_LOW
08-03-2013, 02:27 PM
I know, when I started, they told me to get one from right from the start.
Not to the point that they wouldn't let me fly or anything, but obviously before I soloed.
But they were insistent that I got one, before I managed to spend a chunk of money.

David Pavlich
08-04-2013, 10:33 AM
Tommy,

I feel you pain and frustration, and hope you get the situation resolved in a timely manner.

On a slightly different subject, I think it was quite unforgivable, that your Flight school, did not talk to you about this before they eagerly took your money, and started your flight training. Totally IRRESPONSIBLE really -- they should have been aware that this is a potential issue for anyone starting to learn to be a pilot, and have advised you to secure your 3rd class medical, before committing a considerably amount of money for your training.

Maybe they did, and you choose to put it off. ?

Even then, I believe that they really should have insisted, that you secured your Medical, much earlier on during your training.

Geoff

At the opposite end of the spectrum, the local Cessna school requires a physical BEFORE lessons start, and that includes Sport certificate. I know one potential Sport student that crossed off the Cessna school. :-)

David