PDA

View Full Version : Young kids at OSH

audioflyer
07-12-2012, 06:34 PM
This will be my first Oshkosh, and I'm bringing my almost 6 year old son. We'll be driving in and camping out. Any suggestions from anyone who has brought younger kids in the past? He's definitely not as big of an aviation freak as I am (yet), and I'd like to do at least a few things that will keep him entertained.

Anyone out there bringing kids around the same age who would like to get together? I'm sure he'd like someone his own age to play with. Let me know!

Dave Stadt
07-12-2012, 06:41 PM
Bring him over to KidVentue at Pioneer Airport We have about 40 activties for kids toddler to teen age. 9:00 am to 3:30 pm every day except we close at 2:30 pm on Sunday.

RickFE
07-12-2012, 06:48 PM
I brought my Grandson, age "almost 5 at that time." He liked the museum at Lakeland. He also seemed to enjoy the ultra lights because you could get reasonably close and see them in the air plus the ones that were on the ground.

A few things I wouldn't have thought about but they caught his attention were the trams (Hayride to him). I think he would enjoy an up close and personal of the pedal planes. Any plane that you can get in and walk around in.

I think he would like the pioneer field because you can see the helicopters etc. taking off and he LOVED the war birds.

Paul Hayden
07-12-2012, 09:03 PM
I second KidVenture. Tons of stuff to do and the volunteers are great. We usually spend at least 1/2 a day there. Longer if we would let the little bugger. We usually catch the ultralights and powered chutes when they are up. There is a small playground in the campsite area near the fly market in the area known as Paul's woods. Lots of things you stumble upon end up being amusing. We also take ear plugs and or shooting style ear muffs. The shows can be fun to watch but a little loud for the wee folk. It also makes sleeping in camp a bit easier

Bill Greenwood
07-12-2012, 09:12 PM
That's pretty young to be outdoors in the sun, heat, and noise all day. Remember not to overdo it for him.
If you drive up the highway from the south, I think it may be 41, you might want to exit and spend an hour or so at the small amusement park which is just in the south ourskirts of Fon du Lac. My kids loved it at age 10 to 15. I think the exit is probably Military Drive,then go about 1/2 mile south , not sure on the name of that road, it is the one that runs just by the FLD airport.

mnewb1
07-13-2012, 06:48 AM
My Son at 6 loved the pedal planes over by the homebuilt area...or at lest that's where they used to be.

lkorona
07-13-2012, 08:00 AM
I will be attending with my 8 year old daughter this year. It's her first time, and we are looking for things that will keep her interested for the 5 days we plan to be on site. I see that a craft/activities tent is on site. Can anyone comment on what things are availaible there? We of course will be spending time at KidVenture and Pioneer Airport. I guessing that between the two, it's a whole days worth?

FlyingRon
07-13-2012, 08:52 AM
Don't know about kids that young, but we brought my thirteen year old to Oshkosh once and he met up with a girl in the Ultralight area and we hardly saw him the rest of the show.

avinuts
07-13-2012, 09:31 AM
Government display pavillions have some interactive things that can be interesting for young people to participate in. Ford has an old car ride that could be fun along with the ferris wheel at the Ford tent. Pedal airplanes for the real young ones North of homebuilts. Craft center. KidVenture at the museum. YMCA has a good program downtown Oshkosh with transportation to and from. Playground in the campground is always a hit. Teen dance and pizza party for the older kids. Watch for the "free" ice cream truck going through the campground. Young people's items for sale in the Fly-mart (toys). Hope that helps, a little...

rleffler
07-13-2012, 10:21 AM
Besides KidVenture, there is a craft tent just as you enter the homebuilt area. I've lost my wife and daughter in there for days.

Gently56
07-13-2012, 12:09 PM
"and I'm bringing my almost 6 year old son."

I am bringing my 9 year old Grandson, right now he is really excited,:D But I am not sure if there is enough to hold him captive for the full week. :confused:He LOVES airplanes he loves airshows and I too am looking for more things for him to engage in and, when I build my first plane, he wants to help! That said he is still 9 years old so I need to find things that will capture his interest, beside the airshows daily. I am sure that for at least 2 or 3 days he will be excited but after that I really dont know.

I was happy to see someone else who is bringing a youngster, if worst comes to worst we could always "pair them up" and maybe they can sort it out for themselvs!

Anyhow, we should not be hard to find...we are the ones in the shirts that say: "this is my first OSKOSH please excuse my mistakes"

Good luck and Hope to see every one in a week or so!

Mike!

bneal
07-13-2012, 12:23 PM
I'm in the same boat as you guys. This is my 4th time to oshkosh and I am bringing my entire family (wife, 5yr old, 2yr old, 4month old nursing) It's totally going to be fun/wild/stressing. I do have the 5yr old able to identify aircraft and the 2yr old stares at the sky when a plane flies over. So I'm hoping kidventure is as good as everyone says it is. The wife????......hopefully I come back a married man still! But cannot wait to get there and let them experience it!

audioflyer
07-13-2012, 11:52 PM
Wow, great thread! Thanks to everyone for the valuable info! Bneal, great that your family is coming along, hope it goes well! Maybe we can get my son together with your 5 y.o. Are you all camping out?

Mayhemxpc
07-14-2012, 07:17 AM
Took the whole family to AV 2010, including my then six year old son and his two older brothers. He had a great time, afterwards saying that it was his best vacation ever. We are all looking forward to coming up again for the week. Driving in is important as it gives you the opportunity to get away. Also remember sensory overload for young kids. Plan in some quiet time every day. Agree with all comments above, especially about KidVenture. Also remember the play area in or near Scholler.

For the 8 year old daughter post: A whole day's worth? At least several days worth -- although maybe not a week. You can't get through all of the activities at KidVenture and the crafts area in just a day. Don't even try. Pace yourself, work to her schedule. (The pilot in the family can slip away during "down-time" -- yes even for eight and ten year olds.)

bneal
07-14-2012, 07:35 AM
Audioflyer-Yes we will be camping out! I plan on getting there sunday afternoon! Bringing a little grill and tossing the frisbee at nights with the boys and you and your family are welcome to join! PM me if you would like to exchange contact info and we could let the little ones play. Capri suns on me!

Antique Tower
07-15-2012, 08:07 AM
Those of you with small children - there is a nice, shaded play area under a white tent, behind the Vintage Red Barn headquarters. It's called the Kiddie Kockpit. It's for smaller kids and makes a nice pit stop on your trips down the flight line. There's a changing station there too.

Jim Hann
07-15-2012, 09:05 AM
All the above is good advice, it is stressful but fun! Here is my gang last year, 7, 4, and 2:
And the older two back in 2008 with their late Grandpa (4 & 1 then)

bmckinney
07-15-2012, 09:35 AM
We have been bringing our kids every year since 2000. Started with a two year old, and now they are 14,12,9, and 6. We arrive 4 days before the start of the show and camp 10-11 days. All of them (one boy, three girls) are excited every year to go. We spend about 2 days at KidVenture, and there are plenty of other fun things for them to do at the main area. The camping area has plenty of room to play ball, throw balsa wood planes (lots of free ones at the show), and bike around. We walk over to the Fly-In Theatre every night for a movie and free popcorn. There is a waterpark nearby that my wife will take them to half of a day if it is a hot week.We are heading out in 3-4 days, and they are already packed and ready to go!Have fun!

Bill Greenwood
07-15-2012, 09:54 AM
Just talked to folks in Osh last night. It has had very little rain, is pretty dry, a little brown, and will likely be dusty. It may be in the 90s maybe up to 100s. <br>
I personally would not bring a very young child, especially a nursing infant into that situation if camping. It is a little different if you are at a hotel with air conditioning and a pool. The very young not only may suffer more from the discomfort, but are not going to appreciate the avitaion part as well either. <br>And yes, I know it can be done, just like some people drag their 2 or 3 year old out on the ski slope when they can barely stand up. But is it good for the child or just convenient for the Father?<br>The fiirst year we flew in via Mooney, with my 2 year old Son. We made 2 stops enroute and it was hot. Both times he was hot and crying in his seat in the back, and nothing I could do until we got to altitude and cooled off. It was not fun for him and I'd never do it again that way. And we were in a motel once there so that part was ok. He loved it when he got older.<br>
I have never heard of a water park in Osh, can you give details?<br>
<br>
For ages 12 and 14, maybe 9 also they will likely love EAA.

bmckinney
07-15-2012, 09:49 PM
Waterpark info: http://www.ci.oshkosh.wi.us/Parks/Pollock_Community_Water_Park/

lkorona
07-16-2012, 07:25 AM
I'm in the same boat as you guys. This is my 4th time to oshkosh and I am bringing my entire family (wife, 5yr old, 2yr old, 4month old nursing) It's totally going to be fun/wild/stressing. I do have the 5yr old able to identify aircraft and the 2yr old stares at the sky when a plane flies over. So I'm hoping kidventure is as good as everyone says it is. The wife????......hopefully I come back a married man still! But cannot wait to get there and let them experience it!

Wow! And I worried about just one 8 year old and wife! You have your hands full.

I guess the best advise is to just kick back, enjoy and roll right along with what comes. We will be flying in from Tulsa, OK. Which will be a small adventure in just getting there. Staying in the dorms so we don't need to stress about camping.

Hangar10
07-16-2012, 11:54 AM
Having only read the initial thread, I would say YES, definitrly bring your 6 year-old and be prepared to have fun! I am a relative newcomer to Oshkosh... my family's first trip was Sploshkosh 2010... my son was 6 and we had a GREAT time. Went back last year and had a blast. This year, due to work obligations, my wife will not be attending, but my son and I are going back... he can't wait. Ok, I can't wait either.

Kevin O'Halloran
07-16-2012, 01:07 PM
B2Osh ( bonanzas) will have close to 50 kids this year in our group .
Age 6 months to 18--they never get bored !!!
Kevin

lkorona
07-16-2012, 03:21 PM
Mark:

Is see that you are in Tulsa (Owasso), I'm based out of Riverside in Tulsa, small world! Are you flying to OSH? Camping, dorms, hotel or what?

Larry

mdurdan
07-16-2012, 03:28 PM
Wonderful, we have been attending the convention since my kids were 5 and 3, they are now 14 and 16 and look forward to it every year. We did Kidventure and the museum with the kids as well as the craft tent but, they were happiest sitting at the flightline watching all the airplanes. What a great time to introduce the kids at such a young age and bring them to a family type of event. 6 more days!!

mnewb1
07-17-2012, 09:24 PM
I have had some wonderful times with my Boy at Oshkosh, and we are going back again this year...the boy is 12 now.

Chris Thomsen
07-20-2012, 07:41 AM
If you have a vehicle, there are plenty of things to do around the area; Menominee Park in OSH is right at the lake, centrally located in town. They have a small zoo, water pedal boats, a train, concession stand, etc. There is "Bay Beach" in Green Bay, about 45 minutes north that has the same things as Menominee only way fancier. Also in Green Bay there is the National Railway Museum (boys love this!). The NRM has one of the original "Big Boy" steam engines on display. If you know trains, you won't want to miss this!

Just north of Oshkosh about 20 minutes there is a cheese factory that is just great to visit and tour. They start making cheese at 0400 every day and have fresh curds after 0900. It is named Union Star and is in Zittau, WI. To get there take Hwy 41 over the bridge, Hwy 76 exit north to County Road II west (left). You can't miss the factory on your right side about 6 miles down or so. The tavern kitty corner from the cheese factory has great burgers too.

Wolf River Campground in New London (30 minutes north) has tubing on the lazy Wolf River. Tie your tubes together and float for half a day. Lots of fun for older kids too!

I'm amazed more people don't find our two local drive in's. Ardy and Ed's is just east of the approach end of rwy 27, by the lake (you could walk if you "like" to walk). They have great perch and shrimp baskets, homemade root beer and "kiddie baskets" with "baby beers" for the kids. Leon's Frozen Custard (I used to work there as a kid) serves fresh custard and sandwhiches and is located off of Murdock on the north side of town. Both places have car hops and are really cool joints!

Kids will also love the sea base! It's quiet, there is a boat tour for a couple bucks, you can pack a picnic or buy food there and eat underneath the trees. This is a lot less "hustle bustle" and can be accessed by car or bus from Bus Park.

bneal
08-07-2012, 08:56 PM
I would just like to revive this post just for a minute to update anyone with qustions about taking kids to oshkosh. It's rather simple......DO IT!!! My sons and wife really loved everything about it.Well......heat on monday kinda sucked but....ehhh...no one can control that so who cares? All we did was use simple parenting common sense (stop in the shade for a few, use sunscreen, drink water) We did buy a jogging stroller and used some thermal lunch sachels to keep water nice and chilly all day. Did they slow us down some? Sure. But it helped me slow down and take in a few more details I would have missed. The Shower houses really were not that bad minus the excessive PSI those showers heads were putting out...ouch! They slept amazing in the tent with fresh night air and a big day they had. No disrespect to anyone who said to wait on bringing them. I really am glad that I did and they will be back next year with me! wife included!