PDA

View Full Version : Haven't been in eight years. Now 23, going alone, M-F, and camping. Tips??

Kazoo
07-12-2012, 06:29 PM
Hi all! Having grown up obsessed with aviation, I was fortunate enough to have attended Airventure in 2003 and 2004 thanks to my fantastic grandparents. Now finishing college, a few weeks ago I made the decision to attend Airventure this year because I can't stand not to. My plan is to arrive early Monday morning and stay through part of Friday. My work schedule and a weekend wedding dictate the length of my stay, otherwise I'd stay longer. I will be staying in a tent in Camp Scholler. Might anyone have some immediate tips or random bits of information that might be handy? It's been tough keeping up with all the emails, news, etc. as we get closer.

I'm a professional photographer and am trying to get into aviation photography (so far just static!), thus I will be carrying around a couple cameras throughout the week. My hope is to spend an hour or two a day doing some static work around sunrise and sunset, weather permitting. Currently I am debating renting a 1.4x tele-extender for my 300mm 2.8 lens, as I took some photos at a local airshow a couple weekends ago and found the reach without to be just a tad short.

Aside from some photography, my only specific plans are to exhaust myself checking out vendors, products, meeting and talking to people, learning, etc. Will probably be on my feet ten hours a day. I plan on bringing cold food to have for breakfast each morning, probably something for dinner each day and then plan on finding something for lunch each day (also refilling a water bottle).

Oh one more more thing. Though I was thinking I would stay with relatives in Fond du Lac late Sunday night and head up to Oshkosh as early as possible on Monday morning, should I even consider going straight to Oshkosh? The thing is I wouldn't be arriving until late, perhaps as late as 10 or 10:30 pm local time.

Joe Delene
07-12-2012, 07:40 PM
There should be room for you, maybe not 5 min from the showers though. You may get lucky. If you are arriving that late I'd stay with the relatives one night, it it's not to much trouble. You can avoid a night setup, & start fresh Monday morning. You may want some last minute food supplies too.

Jim Clark
07-12-2012, 08:41 PM
Bring a lightweight camp chair and drop by the black and orange 1939 Waco Cabin parked with a group of Wacos across from the Theater in the Woods. If you like old airplanes you won't be alone during Airventure.

Bill Greenwood
07-12-2012, 09:02 PM
You might want to visit the FLD airport if you are going to be there anyway; there is often something of interest in the overflow from Osh, and if you don;t have a car or ride to Osh, there is bus service about every hour from the FLD airport. And a pretty good snack bar/lunch wagon at the airport.

Kazoo
07-12-2012, 09:17 PM
Bring a lightweight camp chair and drop by the black and orange 1939 Waco Cabin parked with a group of Wacos across from the Theater in the Woods. If you like old airplanes you won't be alone during Airventure.

Will do!!! (was that "bring a chair when I come say hello" or "bring a chair to Oshkosh because there will be times when I want to sit"?)

Tom Casper
07-13-2012, 06:53 PM
If you plan to shoot the afternoon airshows you will love Oshkosh. The show runway runs north / south and you will have the afternoon sun over your shoulder. Bring lots of cards or a cardreader and laptop with space for gigs!! Personally I would not use the TC but that is certainly a matter of preference and style. At least you would have it on a 2.8. If you have a good wide angle bring that for some of the static early and late light shots. You will love it.

PlaneBrain
07-13-2012, 07:05 PM
I would suggest getting the 1.4 teleconverter if possible. I actually use a 2x for my 300 lens. Also I find that a blanket works much better than a chair, much easier to carry if you also have a load of camera gear. Other essentials for me as an amateur photographer...... several extra camera batteries, sunscreen and a hat, and extra shoes ( it will rain at least one day and soggy shoes are the worst!). The crowds thin out considerably after the airshow ends making photography simpler, not to mention better lighting. Don't forget the seaplane base, good photo opps plus it's a good way to escape the crowds for a bit.

FlyingRon
07-14-2012, 02:09 PM
Just got my 50-500 Zoom from Sigma (also have a 1.4x tele). By the way, dig around on Amazon they'll often have used/refurb'd stuff. I got my TC for about $70 less than what they wanted for the new one and there's still time to get it before Airventure (I leave Wednesday).

Don't neglect the early morning. There's plenty of light at 6:30-7 and hardly any foot traffic.

Jim Clark
07-14-2012, 10:11 PM
Will do!!! (was that "bring a chair when I come say hello" or "bring a chair to Oshkosh because there will be times when I want to sit"?)
Probably both. You can drop it under the plane and have a spot to relax during the show without hauling back to your camp site. Just look for the big black and orange CAA livery Cabin Waco and remember, we're from the CAA and we're here to help.
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll304/flinthillsjim/1939%20Waco%20EGC8/002-5.jpg

Kazoo
07-15-2012, 08:08 AM
If you plan to shoot the afternoon airshows you will love Oshkosh. The show runway runs north / south and you will have the afternoon sun over your shoulder. Bring lots of cards or a cardreader and laptop with space for gigs!! Personally I would not use the TC but that is certainly a matter of preference and style. At least you would have it on a 2.8. If you have a good wide angle bring that for some of the static early and late light shots. You will love it.

Oh yes, I know! I have a couple 16GB cards, an 8GB and a 4GB. I should be good shooting RAW. Thinking about bringing a backpack to carry stuff in throughout the day, as I am unlikely to return to camp at any point during the day. This would then allow me the ability to download stuff halfway through the day if necessary. I shoot RAW, so...

I would suggest getting the 1.4 teleconverter if possible. I actually use a 2x for my 300 lens. Also I find that a blanket works much better than a chair, much easier to carry if you also have a load of camera gear. Other essentials for me as an amateur photographer...... several extra camera batteries, sunscreen and a hat, and extra shoes ( it will rain at least one day and soggy shoes are the worst!). The crowds thin out considerably after the airshow ends making photography simpler, not to mention better lighting. Don't forget the seaplane base, good photo opps plus it's a good way to escape the crowds for a bit.

Here's the thing. I can buy a used Nikon TC for just under $300 and sell it later. OR I could rent one for like thirty bucks. This would give me a 300mm f/4 lens for a 35mm equivalent of roughly 450mm. Alternatively I could rent Nikon's 200-400 for three days for $190. OR I could rent Sigma's 50-500 for the entire week for $92. I'm shooting cropped sensor, so keep that in mind. Any tips?

Just got my 50-500 Zoom from Sigma (also have a 1.4x tele). By the way, dig around on Amazon they'll often have used/refurb'd stuff. I got my TC for about $70 less than what they wanted for the new one and there's still time to get it before Airventure (I leave Wednesday).

How is it as far as focus speed and tracking? I could rent one for the entire week for under a hundred bucks. Do you think I'd be better off with this over my 70-200 2.8 VR I (Nikon glass…) w/ a Nikon 1.4x teleconverter, which would cost $280 to purchase or only $33 to rent for the entire week?

Also wondering about hats. I can't decide between a boonie hat and one with a hanging sun hood in the back...

PlaneBrain
07-15-2012, 02:53 PM
I think the Sigma 50-500 would be a good choice. That along with a wide angle should cover just about everything you wish to shoot. I would think the performance would be relatively close to that of the Nikon. My ancient Tokina 300 2.8 with a 2x converter can usually keep up, even with high speed passes from F/A 18s and the like. Most of the aircraft are of course moving at a more leisurely pace so lightning fast focusing is normally not required.
Good luck deciding and happy shooting!

http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o619/Magnumized/DSC09596_edited-1.jpg

FlyingRon
07-15-2012, 03:10 PM
Zooms on TC are often problematic (though the 50-500 1.4 combo seems OK). You're going to lose one stop for 1.4 and two for 2 (of course not usually a problem for air shows). A lot of times you lose the autofocus feature as well. The 50-500 directly on the camera seems to focus pretty well but I've only been shooting things out the window and such so I'm not really trying to hit moving targets.

dbarnes612
07-15-2012, 08:25 PM
Kazoo, with your gap of more than two decades, the biggest tip I can offer is to get set for a very different experience this time. As you've probably read, the convention's gotten MUCH BIGGER and more commercial.

Still a great time, tho!

The campgrounds probably have changed the least, except I'd say that the percentage of tent campers has gone down quite a bit.

Eric Page
07-15-2012, 08:31 PM
I once tried to use a Vivitar 2x TC on my Canon XTi with a Canon 28-135mm lens. Autofocus still worked, but it hunted a lot before locking on. Could be because the lens is f3.5-5.6, so the best I got with the 2x TC was f5.5, and with full zoom, f7.6. Also, I suspect the TC wasn't telling the camera it was there, but just passing signal from the lens. If so, the camera was unaware of the 2-stop difference.

It's your money, obviously, but I'd vote for buying/renting the best glass you can afford. You'll never be happy with the results you get using optical trickery.

Whatever you decide, be sure to post some of your photos for those of us who can't make it. Oh, and have fun!

avinuts
07-16-2012, 09:40 AM
I have a cranial-follical challenged condition to deal with on a regular basis in the winter with the cold and in the summer sun. Over the years attending Oshkosh I have tried a variety of head gear to prevent my flesh from peeling to the bone. I have found, on a personal level, that the boonie hat is the way to go. A little cooler due to airflow and protects the back of my neck, forehead and ears. We may be a distance north of the equator but the summer sun at Oshkosh can be brutal and very unforgiving. Sunscreen not less than 45, a hat, plenty of water and sunglasses. My forcast for that week 85 plus degrees with an average above 92 degrees. Bright sunshine and 70 % humidity. Severe short burst thunderstorms starting on Sunday the 22nd. Good luck! Thats my 2 cents worth (probably worth less than half of that).

Mike