PDA

View Full Version : Interested in Aerobatics....advice needed.

WeaverJ3Cub
07-12-2012, 09:13 AM
Hi guys, it's me again with a question for all you acro guys….

I'm interested in aerobatics, and I'm interested for three reasons:

1. Emergency/upset training. My CFI recommends that I take an hour of basic acro to learn recovery from wake turbulence, etc.

2. Learning better aircraft control. This is very important to me, personally.

3. It's looks fun.

So, with that on the table, I'm considering saving up the money and going for the 10-hour aerobatic course that's offered at Red Stewart Airfield (40I). The course is done in a Bellanca 7KCAB Citabria, seems to be based on Rich Stowell's material, and covers this, over the course of 10 lessons:

Lesson 1 Intro: climbing Dutch Rolls, steep turns, slow flight/stalls, falling leaf, L/R upright spins, and loops.

Lesson 2 Review: loop; Intro: Immelman and hammerhead

Lesson 3 Review: loop, hammerhead, Immelman; Intro: Cuban 8

Lesson 4 Review: Immelman, Cuban 8; Intro: slow roll, 2-point slow roll

Lesson 5 Review: slow roll, 2-point slow roll; Intro: 4-point slow roll, inverted flight

Lesson 6 Review: 4-point slow roll, inverted flight; Intro: Climbing slow roll, reverse Cuban 8

Lesson 7 Review: climbing slow roll, reverse Cuban 8; Intro: split "S"

Lesson 8 Revew: reverse Cuban 8, split "S"; Intro: inverted turn, barrel roll, snap roll

Lesson 9 Intro: Aerobatic sequence—loop, hammerhead, Immelman, 1-turn spin, reverse 1/2 Cuban 8, 2 point slow roll

Lesson 10 Aerobatic sequence: remaining in the box, wind compensation

So, can I get some input on that course from you guys? Is it too much? They apparently use Duane Cole's book "Conquests of Lines and Symmetry."

I'm a runner and cyclist, so I have good cardio, and I'm not overweight, so I think I'd handle it ok. But what I'm really after is, is this a good program for learning aircraft control, or is it geared more to airshow/IAC competition? I mean, I'm certainly not adverse to competition aerobatics (I'm an IAC member), but I honestly don't foresee myself being able to make a career out of this, since I would have had to start much earlier (I'm 21).

This hasn't completely coalesced in my own mind yet, so forgive the rambling nature of the post. Aerobatics look like a lot of fun.

Thanks.

—Samuel

RetroAcro
07-12-2012, 12:51 PM
So, can I get some input on that course from you guys? Is it too much? They apparently use Duane Cole's book "Conquests of Lines and Symmetry."

Definitely go for it. Looks like they cover the basics just fine. Whether you complete the entire "syllabus" depends on you. You instructor will know when to back off if you're getting overwhelmed.

I'm a runner and cyclist, so I have good cardio, and I'm not overweight, so I think I'd handle it ok.

I'm sure you're in plenty good shape. That won't be an issue. Aerobatics is more about acclimating and building tolerance than being in great shape.

But what I'm really after is, is this a good program for learning aircraft control, or is it geared more to airshow/IAC competition? I mean, I'm certainly not adverse to competition aerobatics (I'm an IAC member), but I honestly don't foresee myself being able to make a career out of this, since I would have had to start much earlier (I'm 21).

Put the thoughts about airshows and competition aside for the moment. Two very different things. There's no such thing as "airshow geared" training for someone who is just getting started in aerobatics. Airshow flying can be anything under the sun, and it's something folks make a natural progression into if and when their experience and interest gets to the point where they have the ability and feel the type of flying they do is something folks would want to see. Actually, ability is the least important prerequisite to being an airshow pilot. :-) You just need to have the desire to do it...and put in the effort to do it safely.

However, this aerobatic course could prepare you for getting into IAC competition-style flying if that's something you want to try. The IAC Primary category is designed for aerobatic newbies and first-time competitors. If you complete this course, you should be able to fly a passable Primary sequence at the end of it all. There are quite a few folks who have flown their first contest after completing an aerobatic course, having no previous aerobatic experience. You would fly with a "safety pilot" in the airplane, but the flying would be all you. But this course will not necessarily be "geared" toward competition. Very, very few people (relative to the active pilot population) actually do this. This course is just a basic aerobatic foundation to do with what you like. Competition acro is purely a hobby and always has been. YOU have to pay to enter a contest. There's no money in it. If you want to pursue this, ask if any of the instructors at this acro school are familiar with the IAC judging criteria. They're pretty simple and straightforward for the basic figures.

Yeah, you get paid for airshow flying, and if you work hard and are good, you might even cover your costs. :-) You won't come close to making a living. Nobody gets into it for the pay. I can only think of about one very famous pilot in the country who I would say makes a large part of their living doing airshows. Most airshow pilots have other financial means that allow them to do this, almost as a hobby. And even if we lived in a world where you could make a good living from IAC or airshow flying, you sure wouldn't need to worry about starting too late. At 21, you're starting much earlier than most. This is a good thing. Typically the younger you are, the more easily and quickly your skills progress.

Go ahead and jump in. Guaranteed you'll walk away a much more comfortable, knowledgeable, and skilled pilot...and you'll probably have a blast too. :) Good luck.

WeaverJ3Cub
07-18-2012, 01:01 PM
Thanks, RetroAcro, for the comments. I don't intend to go into aerobatics as a career, but I'm certainly interested in competitions if I ever have the skill, time, and money.

Go ahead and jump in. Guaranteed you'll walk away a much more comfortable, knowledgeable, and skilled pilot...and you'll probably have a blast too. Good luck.

It sure does sound like fun! And I like the "skilled pilot" part too.... :)

WLIU
07-18-2012, 05:49 PM
If you would like to get a head start, you can purchase Rich Stowell's DVD's on the topics at http://www.richstowell.com/store/dvds/ Rich is a very easy to talk to guy so if you have any questions about the content of the DVD's or you watch them and have a question, shoot him an e-mail or a telephone call.

For what its worth, the 7KCAB is a fine airplane to start aerobatics in. I have several hours in one and you can do all of the positive G acro that you want. You will have to learn some energy management as well as maneuvering the airplane and it is best to learn that early.

Oh, and the best way to do well in aviation is have a very successful non-aviation career and spend your money at the airport. Another alternative is to be successful outside aviation and then switch careers. A friend moved, at age 50 or so, from engineering and the building of time and ratings for fun, to flying for a fractional full time. His first career gave him the means to comfortably switch to being full time Citation driver.

Best of luck,

Wes
N78PS

WeaverJ3Cub
07-18-2012, 08:33 PM
Thanks Wes. That Rich Stowell stuff looks interesting. The airport website mentions his stuff in connection with the course, so I think that it is incorporated pretty heavily. I'll have to get a head start and check that stuff out now.

I know nothing about the Citabria, so your comments are helpful. Thanks. That reminds me, Emerson Stewart does a dead stick routine in that very plane during the airport's annual Labor Day airshow. Very impressive. Last year, he had a bet with the announcer that he could finish his routine, land the plane, and taxi all the way over to the announcers stand without restarting the engine. He did it.

Nice story about your friend. Sounds like he's got a dream job right there. Every time I fly, I come back wishing I could find a way to get people to pay me to do it! :)

—Samuel