PDA

View Full Version : Best routes from Michigan?

davidsflying
07-11-2012, 09:24 AM
I'll be driving to Oshkosh from Ontario, Canada through Michigan, just curious if anyone has advise on the best route to Oshkosh. I noticed there's a ferry from Muskegon to Milwaukee - is that worth taking or is it quicker to drive around the lake through Chicago? Any best routes through / around Chicago?

Thanks.

AeroPilot
07-11-2012, 10:02 AM
Can't help much on the route, but I can about the ferry. I am heading to OSH (from Philadelphia PA area) on motorcycle and camping in Scholler till Thursday morning. Leaving, instead of going to Chicago and traffic, I booked a return trip on the 12:30 Lake Express Ferry to Michigan. You pay for your vehicle AND you, and it is a reserved time for that particular ship. So make sure you can get there 45 min- 1 hr before the departure time.

For Chicago, Many have told me that it depends on the day. I was going to hit it on Sunday on the way to OSH and I was told that 294 would be a good way to cut around downtown and then that continues into 94 to head north. Others told me that since I'm motorcycling it out there just to avoid the area all together and go way west, which is what I'll do for safety reasons.

If you have AAA or know someone that does, you can get free maps from them for the Chicago and suburbs that show these routes well.

mazdaP5
07-11-2012, 10:06 AM
I drive over from south of Detroit, I've done the ferry before, it takes the same amount of time when you factor in waiting time, loading and unloading etc. I'd stick to I-94 and drive around or through Chicago, then up to OSH. The real advantage of the ferry is that for the time spent on the ferry, you're not driving, you are resting.

Edit: ^yes, 294 around the city is the way to go, Chicago can be confusing!

davidsflying
07-11-2012, 10:34 AM
I'll probably take the roads and 294 around Chicago then thanks. Have a GPS on board too will just make sure I take 294 regardless then. Much appreciated thanks. Figure I'll cross at Port Huron to save going through Detroit.

Mazda how much time are you expecting to take yourself?

avinuts
07-11-2012, 10:46 AM
Hi,
There are apparently a number of routes that can be taken from your location depending on the time, safety, desire for scenery and cost.
#1 is through or around Chicago with 94/41.
#2 is to take the SS Badger ferry from Ludington to Manitowoc then Hwy 10 West to 41 South.(4 hours on the water and another 1 hr. drive from Manitowoc.
#3 is to go North through the Locks into Upper Michigan then down through Escanaba, Menomonee/Marinette on 141 to 41 South through Green Bay, Appleton and Oshkosh.
Hope that this may help some...
Good luck and see you there!
Mike

avinuts
07-11-2012, 10:53 AM
Me again,
That is the Soo Locks at Sault Ste. Marie....
Thanks

martymayes
07-11-2012, 11:18 AM
Taking one of the LM ferrys is 100% less stressful than driving through Chicago.

Dave Stadt
07-11-2012, 11:36 AM
Be aware that the trip across Indiana past the bottom of Lake Michigan is often horrendous. 10 to 15 mile back-ups are the norm. One trip last year was stop and go from I-65 to I-355 which is 40 miles. Every semi crossing the country on I-80 is funneled through that section plus all the local traffic which can turn it into a parking lot. Seems there is always construction, as there is now, along that stretch. Depending on where you are in Ontario I would consider crossing at the SOO and coming down from the north or taking one of the ferries if the cost doesn't shock you. You can take the Lake Express out of Muskeegon, MI. to Milwaukee, WI. It crosses in half the time the Badger takes.

nfdlpilot
07-11-2012, 11:54 AM
I don't see anyone posting about tolls here. Are you aware of the hassle with tolls through Chicagoland? I use an IPASS unit which helps a lot. There may still be time to order one, maybe borrow from someone?

martymayes
07-11-2012, 12:05 PM
Some of the Chicago traffic can be avoided if you do it between 1-3 am. If a thunderstorm hits, all bets are off. The freeways flood like a damburst.

mazdaP5
07-11-2012, 12:14 PM
It usually takes about 8 hours, with stops. Also keep in mind you drop an hour on the trip there, but have to take it back on the way home, so plan accordingly.

danielfindling
07-11-2012, 12:54 PM
I live in a suburb of Detroit and have driven the "northern" route (through the U.P.) and the "Western route" (through Chicago). Chicago is the quickest. As others have stated, be wary of Chicago during "rush hour times". Add an hour to the drive if there is heavy traffic in Chicago, otherwise 7-8 hours is about right. 94W to the 41N direct. I am flying for the first time this year. Need a lift?

Daniel

davidsflying
07-11-2012, 05:31 PM
Looks like if I leave my place 5-6am I'll be hitting Chicago around noon to 1.

martymayes
07-11-2012, 06:37 PM
Looks like if I leave my place 5-6am I'll be hitting Chicago around noon to 1.

Just want to say good luck. We're all counting on you.

Randy Sonefeld
07-12-2012, 04:49 AM
I've been traveling to OSH since 1978 from the mid Michigan area and have gone both ways. By far the most scenic and relaxing drive is through the U.P. and back down into Wisconsin. Its like a tradition for us now, and the U.P. has numerous places to stop and enjoy the scenery or just grab a pasty. Say - ya - to - da- U.P. Ahh!

Kazoo
07-12-2012, 06:40 PM
I'm leaving from Kalamazoo, MI around 5pm EST on Sunday the 22nd. Any chance I'll miss the heavy traffic by the time I go around Chicago two and a half hours later (6:30pm local time)?

rickatic
07-12-2012, 09:02 PM
I have driven both the UP route and the Chicago route several times. From the Detroit area, it is about 100 miles farther to go through the UP. I prefer the through Chicago route. I do have a passion for not paying any tolls though...and I do not leave a dime in Illinois for tolls...

If the OP is crossing into Michigan at either Sarnia/Pt. Huron or Windsor/Detroit, traveling via I-94 is quite simple. Most of the construction is completed in Western Indiana/East Illinois. Time spent getting through Chicago really depends on the time of day. I always travel through Chicago on my way to Oshkosh during the night. I rarely have to stop in traffic when cruising through at 5 AM or earlier...even while towing a 36 foot fifth wheel.

MY toll free route is simple: I-94 from Detroit through Downtown Chicago, North of downtown at the I-94/US-41 split I always take US-41 North, US-41 North is freeway and multiple lane divided highway all the way up to where it rejoins I-94 just south of Milwaukee...and it is toll free...remainder of the route is freeway to the Oshkosh exit...enjoy the ride and save $10 in tolls with virtually no time penalty...

Regards

davidsflying
07-15-2012, 05:23 PM
Thanks Rick. Btw question on your toll highways, are they electronic or booths, should I stock up on a few US quarters before?

Looks like we're staying at my friends brother's place in Grand Rapids Tuesday night then leaving early Wednesday morning, figure I'll time it to hit Chicago around 10-11 so it's after morning rush hour (or so I hope).

rickatic
07-15-2012, 05:52 PM
Thanks Rick. Btw question on your toll highways, are they electronic or booths, should I stock up on a few US quarters before?

Looks like we're staying at my friends brother's place in Grand Rapids Tuesday night then leaving early Wednesday morning, figure I'll time it to hit Chicago around 10-11 so it's after morning rush hour (or so I hope).

Rush hour is never over on the Chicago toll roads....and unless you have an IPass transponder, you will need dollar bills for the tolls. They are manned booths for the payment of cash. We tow our 36 foot fifth wheel up to Oshkosh and the tolls for that would be more than double what a car would be...trust me...I-94 to US-41 back to I-94 where it enters Wisconsin is the way to go...no tolls and no real time or mileage penalty....and you do not have to stop every ten minutes to feed the tax man on the toll road...

Regards

Kazoo
07-16-2012, 07:27 AM
Google Maps is showing the following for toll-free. Does this look right?

And this would be the toll version:

Joe Delene
07-16-2012, 07:51 AM
I usually just take I-294 & pay the tools, the I-Pass makes it easier though. Time of day can be a LARGE factor with traffic. If your not real familiar with the roads I'd just take the tollway & pay the fees. Any good way to go without a toll will of been long ago plugged up with the locals, who would all know about it.

Getting around Chicago isn't that bad(usually). Just stop in IN for a fuel, potty, & food break, set the right mindset & go for it. Once you get behind the cheddar curtain things start to improve.

Just saying what I would do. One can factor in the fuel & time costs by going 80+ miles out of your way & adding an hour. There is also a toll near Rockford on I-90 getting into WI. Chicago traffic can be a pain but I wouldn't go to Bloominton, IL trying to avoid it. I realize a guy from MI won't have an I-pass.

rickatic
07-16-2012, 05:49 PM
I usually just take I-294 &amp; pay the tools, the I-Pass makes it easier though. Time of day can be a LARGE factor with traffic. If your not real familiar with the roads I'd just take the tollway &amp; pay the fees. Any good way to go without a toll will of been long ago plugged up with the locals, who would all know about it.<br>
<br>
Getting around Chicago isn't that bad(usually). Just stop in IN for a fuel, potty, &amp; food break, set the right mindset &amp; go for it. Once you get behind the cheddar curtain things start to improve.<br>
<br>
I must respectfully disagree...and I have several years of not only Oshkosh experience but also several years of delivering motor homes from Indiana up into Wisconsin to support my position.. I ran the mileages last night using Microsoft Street and Trips. 2 miles further to stay off the toll roads and no stopping for the toll booths. It is very unlikely that Kazoo has an I- pass so he is stopping every 10 miles to feed the tax man. He is going to drop at least a dollar each time...sounds like lunch money to meto me...<br><br>I do agree that once you get to Wisconsin all is better. I always top my 50 gallon diesel tank at I-94 Exit 41 in Indiana. There is a Speedway fuel stop just south of the freeway that has always had good fuel prices and easy access. I then refill in Oshkosh before returning home. <br>
<br>
The route I described is not at all complicated. It is just as easy as taking the toll road...and I have never seen difficult traffic on US-41. How simple...When I-94 splits just North of Exit 30 and heads West to the I-294 Toll Road, keep to the left and continue straight ahead onto US-41 North...it is an expressway,,,but no tolls. Stay on US-41 North. While it does turn into 4 and 6 lane divided highway with a median, the minimal number of traffic lights are well timed. No time or mileage penalty that I have ever seen.<br>
<br>
JMO...YMMV...but not by much<br>
<br>
Regards

Ozzie
07-16-2012, 11:05 PM
Wow gotta have a giggle over the comments on the toll fee of 1 dollar. when i drove up from Chicago on my first trip to Airventure as i came up to the toll booth i grabbed a ten dollar note and the guy seemed a bit peeved and handed me back a bunch of notes. i was suprised how cheap it was, just one dollar. The next one cost two dollars i think but that was much longer. To put that into my perspective to travel from Sydney's (Australia) outer western suburbs to the airport will cover several tollways (all tagged) for a minimum of $23. each way. just to cross the famous harbour bridge is $3.00 off peak. During peak these roads are a parking lot. Only one dollar, suck it up.
ozzie

rickatic
07-17-2012, 06:41 AM
Wow gotta have a giggle over the comments on the toll fee of 1 dollar. when i drove up from Chicago on my first trip to Airventure as i came up to the toll booth i grabbed a ten dollar note and the guy seemed a bit peeved and handed me back a bunch of notes. i was suprised how cheap it was, just one dollar. The next one cost two dollars i think but that was much longer. To put that into my perspective to travel from Sydney's (Australia) outer western suburbs to the airport will cover several tollways (all tagged) for a minimum of $23. each way. just to cross the famous harbour bridge is $3.00 off peak. During peak these roads are a parking lot. Only one dollar, suck it up.
ozzie

That's the problem...toll road sucking up dollars...the road is no better than the "freeways"...fuel is much more expensive on any of the toll roads...if you do not have the I-Pass the toll is twice as much so tourists pay a bunch more...and in my case, towing a fifth wheel, the toll is much more than a dollar every few miles...there is not a single advantage to driving on the toll road so why pay anything...

If you have money to throw away...more power to you...as for me...I will continue to enjoy less traffic, no additional stops and the satisfaction that I saved some cash to spend somewhere that has value for the expenditure...

Regards

Bob Kaestner
07-17-2012, 07:25 AM
I've learned to avoid CHI all together. My route originates in the southeast (Charlotte, NC) so a decision on route from Michigan is no factor. I have however made the trip to KOSH from western PA several times, each time transiting CHI and its ALWAYS a nightmare - with or without toll roads. My route the past few years passes well south and west of Chi-town - west on I-74 out of IND and then due north on I-39 on Bloomingtion. After a technical stop at KRFD for my CFII wife to meet up with the B2OSH group, i continue to KOSH in the ground support vehicle I-39N to 151-26-41 to our destination.

davidsflying
07-18-2012, 08:45 PM
Looks like 41 is a construction zone the entire way so I'll just stick on 94. My Garmin has live traffic and traffic trends on it so I'll see what it thinks too.

http://www.gettingaroundillinois.com/gai.htm?mt=cons

rickatic
07-19-2012, 07:46 AM
Looks like 41 is a construction zone the entire way so I'll just stick on 94. My Garmin has live traffic and traffic trends on it so I'll see what it thinks too.

http://www.gettingaroundillinois.com/gai.htm?mt=cons

Thanks for the link...it has been my experience that this section of US-41 has always had some intersection construction along the way but the impact, at least when I travel through in the wee early morning hours, before 6am, has been minimal to non existent. Even when traveling home through Chicago after Oshkosh, the traffic never piles up in that area. It always piles up when you get back to I-94...

My heartfelt thanks to all that stay on the toll road...more room on US-42 for us cheapskates...:D...arriving Sunday morning before 7am

Regards

sphealey
07-22-2012, 11:20 AM
The S.S. Badger (the ferry you mentioned) is a lot of fun and a memorable trip. Somewhat expensive, but have to compare to the cost of fuel, stops, etc in driving through Chicago. Manitowoc is also a nice town to stop in for lunch, etc.

Here's the link: http://www.ssbadger.com/home.aspx

sPh