PDA

View Full Version : Repairman vs ELT

jack hogan
07-04-2012, 03:31 PM
Replace & sign-off the battery part I get. Does my "Repairman Certificate" allow me to sign off the functional check? Does the 'boiler plate' Appendix D/Part 43 cover the ELT requirement? Do we experimental types have an ELT requirement? I assumed .... but .... I've been wrong before.
Follow on discussion item. My ELT is 10yrs old (121.5/243.0) type. Any one have thoughts about replacing it w/the 406? If so which brand name?

Joda
07-04-2012, 04:24 PM
Replace & sign-off the battery part I get. Does my "Repairman Certificate" allow me to sign off the functional check?

Your repairman certificate is only needed, and only authorizes you to perform the condition inspection each year as required by your aircraft's operating limitations. All other maintenance is unrestricted because 14 CFR Part 43 does not apply to aircraft that have always held an experimental airworthiness certificate. (Ref: 43.1) You are welcome to do any and all maintenance, repair or modification on your experimental aircraft, whether or not you are the original builder. In other words, yes, you can do the functional check on your ELT.

Does the 'boiler plate' Appendix D/Part 43 cover the ELT requirement?

Appendix D to part 43 outlines the minimum items that must be checked on a condition inspection. Again, this is outlined in our aircraft's operating limitations. The ELT requirements are found in 14 CFR 91.207.

Do we experimental types have an ELT requirement?

Yes, 91.207 applies to all airplanes, including those with experimental airworthiness certificates. There are several exceptions in the reg, but amateur-built aircraft are not exempt.

Follow on discussion item. My ELT is 10yrs old (121.5/243.0) type. Any one have thoughts about replacing it w/the 406? If so which brand name?

I don't have any input on this one, but I am looking into it as I want to get a 406 unit for my 180 before going to Canada later this year. I'm interested in everyone's input on this question as well.