PDA

View Full Version : I want to learn to fly a powered parachute!

zeke73
07-04-2012, 01:42 PM
Hi new to the world of flying. Been looking to buying a paraplane for sometime now and want to take it to the next step then just wishing! I live south of Fon du lac Wisconsin and am trying to find information on lessons for flying one of these. I realy would like to learn befor I buy. Been looking at numerous sites and maybe I'm missing something but I can't find anything on training for this type of flying they all say get profesional training but I can't find it. Any help would be apreciated! Thank you!

FlyingRon
07-04-2012, 02:29 PM
I'd head up to Airventure in a few weeks. There will be folks there who sell the things and you can usually wrangle a demo ride if you've got interest.

zeke73
07-04-2012, 02:50 PM
Thanks We were suppose to leave for a camping trip on the 28th, tryed to get the wife to camp that weekend there but no deal but did talk her into waiting to leave for camping on sunday so atleast I will be there sat. Hope the family finds it so interesting that next year that will be the vacation cause it's during our plant (John deere) shut down. I know the kids will they are into rc planes and hellicopters might need a little work on wife.

Bill Greenwood
07-04-2012, 03:29 PM
Zeke, if you really want to learn to fly those things, and are at/near FLD, then you are 20 miles south of where there almost certainly will be lot's of info, even maybe demo on them in 3 more weeks.
The ultralights even have not only their own area, but their own little runway at the south end of the flight line. I have gotten several rides there, by going a 8 am in the morning and asking (begging) around. Having a $50 bill while you are asking helps get attention.
And I think Deere provides a lot of tow vehicles for the convention.

martymayes
07-04-2012, 04:43 PM
Be sure to post a follow up once you get your feet wet!

zeke73
07-05-2012, 03:12 PM
Yes I'm very interested in learning to fly one of those things!LOL! I will be there when the gate's open with or without the family. I think for me it's a good way to get my feet wet flying and I can fly right out my back yard (feild) atleast in the spring and fall. And thanks for the info were they will be instead of walking aimlessly looking for them.

Hal Bryan
07-05-2012, 03:31 PM
Perfect timing, Zeke - you'll find plenty of info at AirVenture! You might also check out the Wisconsin Powered Parachute Association - they have a lot of resources on their site:

http://wisconsinppa.org/Wisconsin_Powered_Parachute_Association/Home.html

Bill Greenwood
07-05-2012, 04:00 PM
Zeke , if it is your first time , I suggest that when you get to the field, take a minute to sit down and look at the map that you get with your ticket, see the layout of the field, north end is gen av parking, then warbirds, then homebuilts and the tents where most of the forums are, then antiques and classics, acro, then ultralights all the way at the south end. It is about 1 1/2 mile walk , north to south, or a ride on several trams. Also look at the booklet of fourms scheduled in case there is one you like. The big commercial shopping hangars are south of midway.
Also you may want to see a schedule of the week to see if there is any special event you want to see.
And their runway heads right over Lake Winnebago on an east takoff. Perhaps your term "get my feet wet" is not the best one to use.

malexander
07-05-2012, 06:21 PM
Zeke:
Check your pm's. I'd like to help you out.

Yxcapt
07-05-2012, 08:00 PM
I would like to fly a powered parachute too. I live in southern WI (JVL) and havent been able to find someone to work with. The WPPA site doesn't seem very active or have current info. (no one that returns calls anyway)

I'll be poking around at AirVenture too.

Thanks

zeke73
07-06-2012, 01:56 PM
Thanks everyone! Hal I have already registered with their web site and like Yxcat say's I have emailed them and no response back but I think I will find what I'm looking for at AirVenture. Kind of good timeing we are shut down for 2 weeks but have two work one of them and I picked the first one that won't happen next year. Bill thanks for the tip to take a few minutes to check the map or would have probly just went at it blind or a kid in a candy store and with it our first year and one day to check it out I should have my bearings to atleast be able to find the things I need to find. My hope is the little experience there I can talk the family next year that week will be our camping trip.