PDA

View Full Version : Light Sport Tailwheel endorsement

dsherburn
06-30-2012, 09:58 AM
Can I get my Tailwheel endorsement without a third class medical?

I'm an instrument rated private pilot, but haven't flown in 10 years (or had a third class). I just purchased a Taylorcraft (light sport) and will have it flying next Spring. I plan to fly under Light Sport rules on my drivers license and don't plan to pursue a third class medical.

If I can find a TW instructor and light sport plane (J3), can I get an endorsement without getting a third class medical?

I'm in Michigan...anyone know of a J3 and instructor available in Mich or Wisconsin?

Thanks,
Dan

martymayes
06-30-2012, 02:01 PM
I'm in Michigan...anyone know of a J3 and instructor available in Mich or Wisconsin?

Dan, don't know where you are in MI but Skywalker in Adrian/Lenawee County airport has a Taylorcraft for rent/training. The airplane is $75/hr and I don't know the instructor rates.

steveinindy
06-30-2012, 03:20 PM
If I can find a TW instructor and light sport plane (J3), can I get an endorsement without getting a third class medical?

Thanks,
Dan

There used to be a guy who gave instruction in a Cub (or something really similar) in the Saginaw area when I lived in the area (circa 2008). I think it was actually based out of Barstow airport over in Midland though. You might try checking there or Brown Airport in Saginaw if you're close. I recall seeing it frequently at both locations while I was doing flight training up there but I wasn't paying much attention to the guy who owned it since I had no interest at the time in tailwheels.

Also, there were a fair number of taildraggers at the little airport in Bay City as well so that might be an additional starting point for you too. I hope this helps.

FlyingRon
06-30-2012, 03:27 PM
You don't need a medical to get the instruction required for the endorsement. The CFI can be the pilot in command (they practically have to be since you're not eligible to be PIC if you don't yet have the endorsement).

rosiejerryrosie
07-01-2012, 08:04 AM
I see no reason to get a medical in order to get your SP tailwheel endorsement. I got mine without a medical. Since a medical is not needed to fly the airplane, you shouln't need one to get checked out in it....

FlyingRon
07-01-2012, 10:24 AM
As Jerry points out, you don't need a medical to get instruction in a light sport for anything.
Further, even if you were to do this under the non-light sport rules, you wouldn't likely need a medical. Since you are not eligible yet to be pilot in command lacking the endorsement, your instructor would need to do so and have a medical. You can go out and get a tailwheel endorsement in a DC-3 for all it matters without a medical. It's purely instruction received.

Joda
07-01-2012, 03:33 PM
Can I get my Tailwheel endorsement without a third class medical?

Absolutely!

Why not pursue your endorsement in your own Taylorcraft? No better way to learn than to do it in your own airplane!

Come to Hartford, WI and fly with CubAir Flight! We've done lots of tailwheel endorsements for pilots just like you, and we've done them in Taylorcrafts too. Or you can use one of our J3 Cubs if you'd rather. We'd be happy to fly with you! Check us out at http;//cubair.net

dsherburn
07-01-2012, 06:22 PM
Absolutely!

Why not pursue your endorsement in your own Taylorcraft? No better way to learn than to do it in your own airplane!

Come to Hartford, WI and fly with CubAir Flight! We've done lots of tailwheel endorsements for pilots just like you, and we've done them in Taylorcrafts too. Or you can use one of our J3 Cubs if you'd rather. We'd be happy to fly with you! Check us out at http;//cubair.net

I went to Cub Air and got a login. I'll try and see if I can get a block of weekend time and run over to Wisconsin. I'd train in the Tcraft, but we're going to recover, etc during the Fall and Winter months. I'd like to get the endorsement before the Tcraft is done and I go insurance shopping. Thanks for the note! I'd really like to fly the J3.

Bill Greenwood
07-01-2012, 10:09 PM
What a great opportunity! Start ina the back seat of a J3, get the sign off, then get a few hours in the Taylorcraft.
You will never regret going first in the backseat, so that not seeing straight over the nose becomes the norm and it doesn't really bother you.This will carry over when and if you go on to a Stearman or T6 and can;t see over the nose. You won't have a bad habit to unlearn. The Cub is super easy to fly, I once had a novice pilot cursing at how hard this "damn thing" was to taxi, for about the first 10 min and within 30 min had it in control. Be sure and taxi practice in the Cub, before you go fly and certainly before you land. It might take an hour or so to be pretty good. My J3 stalls power off at 38 mph indicated and with a little power the stall is below the bottom of the airspeed indicator. I approach at 50 mph, max, and power off on short final and a full stall landing. It is easy until the wind gets up to 15 mph or so. You can wheel land, but that is not the way it was generally done in the days when the Cub was the trainer of choice at schools all over the U S.

In the Taylor you sit in the front seat, on the side and have a wheel. They probably come in a little faster and may make wheel landings.

As a last tune up, it would be good to do a few spins and recoveries in the Cub, if the CFI is acro current and has chutes.
I have not flown a Taylorcraft, so never spun one. I would not do it solo the first time.

Joe LaMantia
07-10-2012, 06:59 AM
Hartford is a great little airport and close to the suburbs of Milwaukee, nice article in Sport Av on Cub training there. If you're near the Ohio line you might consider Red Stewart in Waynesville just SE of Dayton. You can train in Cubs, and Champs, then move up to a Stearman if you have the $.

Joe
:cool: