PDA

View Full Version : How long is a Condition Inspection (an annual) good for?

mdharfst
06-25-2012, 10:47 PM
Everybody
I signed off the inspection on my experimental last year on July 1, 2011.
When is this required to be done again?
By July 1, 2012 or by Aug 1, 2012?
The wording of the statement about "12 months" always seemed ambiguous.
Thanks
Mike

WLIU
06-26-2012, 05:38 AM
Your current condition inspection will become invalid on July 31.

Medical certificates work the same way.

Best of luck,

Wes
N78PS

Mike M
06-26-2012, 06:30 AM
Your current condition inspection will become invalid on July 31.

Medical certificates work the same way.

Best of luck,

Wes
N78PS

close, but no cigar. it is valid until 2400 on 31 Jul 2012. thus it will become invalid on August 1. thus one may operate until midnight, then conduct the inspection on the 1 Aug 2012, and it will next expire at 2400 on 1 Sep 2013.

mdharfst
06-26-2012, 07:08 AM
close, but no cigar. it is valid until 2400 on 31 Jul 2012. thus it will become invalid on August 1. thus one may operate until midnight, then conduct the inspection on the 1 Aug 2012, and it will next expire at 2400 on 1 Sep 2013.

Thanks guys.
Both of you think what I think, it is good until the end of July. I'll sign it off on the 1st of August, 2012. In the second answer from cdrmuetzel I don't understand why the annual would roll from 1 July 12 through 2400 on 31 July 12 (the first day of the month through the last day of the month), then the next year it would roll from 1 Aug 13 to 2400 on 1 Sept 13 (the first day of the month through the first day of the next month). Maybe I don't understand something.
Anyway, thanks again, both of you.
Mike

martymayes
06-26-2012, 07:12 AM
Thanks

A condition inspection is good for 12 calendar months - that means last day of 12th month, commencing after the month in which the inspection was completed.

"No person shall operate this aircraft unless within the preceding 12 calendar months it has had a condition inspection"

Mike M
06-26-2012, 11:49 AM
...that means last day of 12th month, commencing after the month in which the inspection was completed...

huh? that's not what you said in the second sentence:

"No person shall operate this aircraft unless within the preceding 12 calendar months it has had a condition inspection"

which is almost what it says in FAA Order 8130.2g:

"No person must operate this aircraft unless within the preceding 12 calendar months it has had a condition inspection performed..."

to operate in july, the inspection must have been performed within preceding 12 calendar months - jun, may, apr, mar, feb, jan, dec, nov, oct, sep, aug, jul, 12 calendar months. to operate in july, inspection must have been performed previous july or later. not starting the month AFTER the inspection is done.

MickYoumans
06-26-2012, 12:19 PM
Typically an annual is not completed in one day. When I put my Cherokee in for an annual I can usually figure it will be out of service for about two weeks. It takes a certain amount of time to perform the inspection and then time to fix items on their checklist. So it would be a very rare situation for the annual to do a perfect one month gain each year.

Tom Downey
06-26-2012, 10:17 PM
Typically an annual is not completed in one day. When I put my Cherokee in for an annual I can usually figure it will be out of service for about two weeks. It takes a certain amount of time to perform the inspection and then time to fix items on their checklist. So it would be a very rare situation for the annual to do a perfect one month gain each year.

Fixing the discrepancies is not a portion of the inspection. So there is no reason the INSPECTION can't be completed in 1 day.

Eric Page
06-26-2012, 10:25 PM
Fixing the discrepancies is not a portion of the inspection. So there is no reason the INSPECTION can't be completed in 1 day.

True, but the inspection can't be signed off as completed and found to be in airworthy condition until the discrepancies are corrected, and the expiration is predicated on the sign-off date.

martymayes
06-27-2012, 05:53 AM
True, but the inspection can't be signed off as completed and found to be in airworthy condition True but the inspection can be signed off as completed without the aircraft being in airworthy condition. The "inspection" part of the annual inspection on a light SE fixed gear airplane only takes a few hrs.

FWIW, a homebuilt is not signed off as being in "airworthy condition" during the annual condition inspection.

martymayes
06-27-2012, 06:15 AM
huh? that's not what you said in the second sentence:

"to operate in july, the inspection must have been performed within preceding 12 calendar months - jun, may, apr, mar, feb, jan, dec, nov, oct, sep, aug, jul, 12 calendar months. to operate in july, inspection must have been performed previous july or later. not starting the month AFTER the inspection is done.

Yes, that's what I said, counting the months forward instead of backwards which is less confusing for some of my customers. For example, if the inspection is signed off July 15, 2012 not counting the month you are in (Jul 2012), simply count fwd 12 months and it will be July 2013. Good to the end of the month.

Joda
06-27-2012, 04:18 PM
Everybody
I signed off the inspection on my experimental last year on July 1, 2011.
When is this required to be done again?
By July 1, 2012 or by Aug 1, 2012?

Actually, it depends on how your aircraft's operating limitations are worded. (You do have a copy of the operating limitations onboard the aircraft right???) Most operating limitations will require a condition inspection within the preceding 12 calendar months. If this is the case in your operating limitations then your inspection will expire on 31 July 2012. But some operating limitations require a condition inspection within the preceding 12 months, omitting the word "calendar". If this is the case (rare, but it does happen) then your inspection expires on the date it was signed off, in this case July 1st.

It is imporatant (for many reasons) to read and be familiar with your specific set of operating limitations so you know what applies to your aircraft.

mdharfst
06-27-2012, 11:16 PM
Actually, it depends on how your aircraft's operating limitations are worded. (You do have a copy of the operating limitations onboard the aircraft right???) Most operating limitations will require a condition inspection within the preceding 12 calendar months. If this is the case in your operating limitations then your inspection will expire on 31 July 2012. But some operating limitations require a condition inspection within the preceding 12 months, omitting the word "calendar". If this is the case (rare, but it does happen) then your inspection expires on the date it was signed off, in this case July 1st.

It is imporatant (for many reasons) to read and be familiar with your specific set of operating limitations so you know what applies to your aircraft.

Joe
OK, I just looked and they say 12 calendar months. So I'm good to go. Interesting twist, I never heard that before.
Thanks
Mike