PDA

View Full Version : First time flying in and camping with my airplane

Chuck Arnold
06-25-2012, 09:20 PM
Greetings. I've been to Airventure twice as a student pilot, first time in '08 when my wife and I flew commercially into Milwaukee and rented a car, and '09 when I flew into Fond du Lac with a friend in his Mooney. Well, now I've got my private and a copy of the NOTAM, and I'm eager to try to fly into Oshkosh. Having never camped with my airplane, I have a couple of questions for GAC veterans: 1) As the owner of a lovable but undistinguished spam can, a Grumman Yankee, I'm guessing I'll be directed to the North 40. I really like the quiet of the South 40, but I believe that's vintage overflow parking, so I won't be able to park and camp there. Is that correct? 2) Assuming I do end up in the North 40, is there ice for coolers readily available for purchase, as well as transportation to local supermarkets? (I can only take so much of Zaug's cooking....) and 3) does anyone recommend renting tiedowns at OSH, or should I just buy my own before arriving? I would appreciate any info I get to help this newbie transition into a been-there-done-that veteran. Thanks!

vaflier
06-25-2012, 09:41 PM
I would guess you will be in the north 40. There are busses that run to the target and the grocery store, or it is an easy 5 minute walk. There is a convenience store just outside the gate at the Hilton and you can get ice there. Make your own tie downs before you go. EAA has a link on their website to. The plans for them and they do work great. Light easy to make and strong. Be sure you know the Notam cold and a friend with you to help with that info sure makes it easier. Have The radio grequencies on. A separate card that is easy to read. Keep your head on a swivel and try to arrive early in the day before it gets too busy and it will be a breeze, not to mention one heck of a lot of fun. There is nothing like landing on he dot the first time at Oshkosh it was a long delayed dream come true for me 3 years ago. What a sight to see and all my friends were watching me come in and wouldn' t you know I got cut off on final and had to go around. I am still hearing crap about that . Of course none of them saw the aircraft come under me and cut me off. I expect I will hear bot it again when I arrive in a couple of weeks. Enjoy !!!!!!

Joe Delene
06-26-2012, 04:50 AM
Just take the essentials & buy what you come to need locally. Here is a picture of my home made tiedowns that work very well. I started with 2" X 2" aluminum angle off ebay & they are held down with spikes from Home Depot. I adjust the amount of spikes depending on conditions expected/ distance & time away from the plane. You may need a tool to get the spikes out, & put in of course.

rawheels
06-26-2012, 05:35 AM
1) Yes, you will be in the North 40 unless you have a Vintage Showplane (1970 or earlier).
2) Yes, there is usually ice for sale near the ticket booth. It is between the two FBO shacks, if I remember correctly. Supermarkets are within walking distance, or you can pick up a bus.
3) Bring your own tie-downs if possible.

Inspector Fenwick
06-26-2012, 06:14 AM
You will like it better in the N 40. The south 40 is a long way from services, as I recall (I have parked airplanes down there). If you think you will be closer to the "action", I think that would be wrong. Also, for camping, that place had a lot of "stubble" as opposed to the better grass in the N 40. In any event, you will have a blast.

Chuck Arnold
06-29-2012, 08:57 AM
Thanks to all of you for your excellent comments and advice. I'm getting pretty excited about the trip and I think the North 40 will be a lot of fun. It sounds like I'll be able to get what I need pretty easily there. I like the homemade tie downs; I'll see if Lowes has what I need this weekend. I've been studying the NOTAM and watching EAA's arrival videos on the web, and I'm going to fly with a CFI next week to review some fundamentals and to prepare for surprises on landing. If any of you sees a Grumman Yankee in the North 40, N8864L, with an rather ugly white and brown paint job, please stop by and say hi. Cheers to all!