PDA

View Full Version : Oshkosh Traditions?

s10sakota
06-25-2012, 06:36 AM
There's so much negativity here about the EAA's current direction, that I need some positivity because I still get PUMPED when I think about Oshkosh approaching!

We have lost track exactly, but this year (we think) will be the 15th year in a row that my dad and I travel to Oshkosh together and camp out for a week. This is usually the only vacation that I take throughout the year. In fact, as a pilot, I try to bid my schedule to have the last week of July off every year. If I can't bid it off, I save my sick time so I can call off! I go to Oshkosh no matter what!

I've flown to Oshkosh in 2004 and 2005 when I had my RANS S-10 Sakota, but every year but those two my dad and I have driven in. I live in MI and my dad lives in PA, so he drives to MI the day before we plan to leave. As silly as this sounds, just loading the car the day before with our camping gear is fun becaues the anticipation of the week ahead is so great. We depart my house at 6:00 am so we can arrive at Oshkosh early in the afternoon.

We have milestones on our way to Oshkosh. Leaving Michigan, getting through Chicago, entering WI ("wow we're almost there!"). Then there's the drive North on 41 and seeing other cars and RV's headed the same direction with airplane stickers on the windows. Yep, they're going to Oshkosh too! We've even seen airplanes on trailers being pulled to Oshkosh.

Once we arrive we meet up with a couple of other friends from Michigan that always fly their Kitfox's in. We camp together and usually get together throughout the day for the airshow and then dinner at Vicky's (by the ultralight area).

I'm just another one in the group of people waiting at the doors for the "big" hangars to open on Monday morning. Since I am usually the one with the car, it's tradition for us to take one day and go to town and get the buffet at Pizza Hut. How that started I have no idea, but it's what we do and it's part of what we look forward to each year.

This year I have a new RANS S-6S that my dad and I will be flying to Oshkosh. With no car, our tradition may change a little this year, but I do know that no matter how commercial it has become, no matter how many times I have to move off the road so a golf cart can pass, my dad and I are going to have a great time. We are already excited and already planning the flight in the airplane.

This year will be the start of new traditions for us since the days of driving to Oshkosh are past. We're flying now!

Sure my traditions don't mean anything to anybody else, but it's what makes Oshkosh so awesome for us.

What are your traditions for Oshkosh??

hydroguy2
06-25-2012, 07:00 AM
Last year was my first OshKosh, 2012 will be my second year. Tradition?, I don't know about that, but I know I will have a great time. I flew in last year and stayed with a good friend in a air conditioned motorhome(Camp Scholler). That was a deluxe way to spend 8days of heat, humidity and occasional rain. This year I want to experience camping in a tent on the field.

Holy Crap, 24 days to go....see ya there.

rawheels
06-25-2012, 07:53 AM
Similar to s10sakota. Dad and I have been flying up together for about 10 years. Planning starts during the cold winter days in January, and then by July we've gotten sidetracked with other projects and it is a mad dash to get everything packed and the tent sprayed down with rain repellant, etc. Every year includes at least one movie at the fly-in theater, a trip to Friar Tucks, and multiple days of walking through the planes row by row. Another tradition is to say that we will actually make it out to the sea plane base for the first time ever, and never doing it. This is the year we are going to break that tradition (although I just completed half of it!).

AeroPilot
06-25-2012, 09:54 AM
I became a pilot 4 years ago,.. and finally I am going to make it to OSH. Not by plane this year, but it doesn't matter, I am excited as a kid in a penny candy store and a dollar to spend! I've got my list of packing stuff, already have extra batteries and items for the camera, need to break in my new sneakers as my second pair for the week, and soon I"ll be on my way! Making the trip from Southeast PA will take 2 days, but I'm excited to arrive and camp in Scholler.

mcdewey
06-25-2012, 11:18 AM
This will be my fourth year at Oshkosh and my first with my private pilot certificate. Each year has been special. There's nothing like AirVenture just to soak up the aviation atmosphere. Between the awesome aircraft, the commercial exhibits, and the wonderful people, it's my aviation high point of the year.

My traditions: hanging out by the ultralight field, walking the rows of aircraft dreaming about which ones it would be great to fly in, visiting the Warbirds and catching a faint glimpse of history, having a ice cream cone that melts faster than I can eat it, walking through all the booths seeing what great ideas people are coming up with, finding great books to read, neat tools to puzzle out.

Memorable events:
My dad, uncle and father-in-law joined me my first year and I got to hear new aviation stories (Dad: civil service flightline at Patrick AFB near KSC, Uncle: flying Cessnas back in the 60's, father-in-law: Navy P3 pilot in 70's).
Seeing the A340, DC3's, Rutan's creations and the aerobatic aircraft.
Hearing aviation personalities like Burt Rutan, Harrison Ford, Jim Lovell, Gene Cernan, Lane Wallace, Richard Branson, Rod Machado, and others.
Just talking to folks while eating (I know....I'm the annoying guy who asks, "Where are you from? You a pilot? Did you fly in? What are some cool things you've seen?" You'd think for a 55 year old introvert I wouldn't act like a giddy 16-year old. :D)

But that last point brings up the strength of AirVenture...lots of friendly people who want to talk about flying. Sure, there are some grumpy folks who are bound to wander in accidentally, or are just hot and tired, but most everyone I've talked to is friendly and enthusiastic. Who know, maybe I'll even get to meet some of the folks here. I think we all agree there's no better place to be than at Wittman Field in the middle of the summer. :)

rleffler
06-25-2012, 11:52 AM
It wouldn't be Airventure without at least one meal at Ardy and Ed's. If you aren't familiar, google it, you'll be glad you did or just go to: www.ardyandeds.com/

MEdwards
06-25-2012, 12:00 PM
It wouldn't be Airventure without at least one meal at Ardy and Ed's. If you aren't familiar, google it, you'll be glad you did or just go to: www.ardyandeds.com/Any suggestions on how to get there if you don't have a car? Thanks.

malexander
06-25-2012, 02:47 PM
Any suggestions on how to get there if you don't have a car? Thanks.

Find someone with a car.:) I'll arrive July 20 with the 5th wheel, and be there all week. The rest of the family "gets in" from Saturday on. OSH turns into a family reunion for us, except for my sister. We sort of all straggle in from OK. 917 mile drive. My dad, brohter, twin brother, & I are all PPs.

I pulled the trailer out onto the driveway last week. The kids & wife have already started loading it up. Deciding where & how things need to go.

My dad is 82 mom is 80. They camp in a rented travel trailer from the rental co. from Greenbay, next to me in the 5th wheel. We've been staying at Sleepy Hollow (#69) for the past 10 years.

My daughters (17 & 22) seem more excited to "go to Oshkosh" every year. They absolutely love to walk up & down, up & down, the rows upon rows of airplanes, lots of times looking at all the cool "stuff". Then, they find me, and say "hey come look at this" or that, or whatever. This will be the 3rd year for the 17 yo's boyfriend to go with us. He's a great boy, I really enjoy having him with us. He's been checking the schedules for stuff since last year, so he can tell me what's happening, and what we need to do at OSH. I'm buying a Rans S19 kit this year & he's pumped, he can't wait. Great kid.

Dang, I'm getting excited now just writing this.

steveinindy
06-25-2012, 02:55 PM

Taking the train or a commercial flight to Chicago and then a bus ride to Oshkosh would be my suggestion if you can't hitch a ride with someone. Last I checked, Greyhound still runs service up that way.

MEdwards
06-25-2012, 03:10 PM
Taking the train or a commercial flight to Chicago and then a bus ride to Oshkosh would be my suggestion if you can't hitch a ride with someone. Last I checked, Greyhound still runs service up that way.Thanks, Steve. Actually, I meant how would you get to Ardy & Ed's, given that you're already at the show. It's over on the east side. Looks like a two mile walk from the terminal, wouldn't be too bad. Maybe I'll try that this year, just for fun.

Mike E

Rob Flansburg
06-25-2012, 06:30 PM

Google maps indicates that it is .9 miles from the street in front of Orion. You could ride the North Forty bus as far as it goes and then walk from there. I think the bus goes to just west of Basler. I just looked at last years map and it shows the north forty bus going all the way to the terminal. I think we will ride our bikes over there and try it out. Thanks for the heads up Bob!! Looks like fun.

rleffler
06-25-2012, 07:59 PM
Just let your neighbors know your intentions. One of them is bound to have transportation and would like to eat off the reservation.

I forgot to mention its under the base turn for 18 and just south of final for 27. A good burger, cold root beer in a frosted mug, view of the lake, airplanes flying overhead, and girls on roller skates. What more can you ask for on a summer evening?

steveinindy
06-25-2012, 08:36 PM
Thanks, Steve. Actually, I meant how would you get to Ardy & Ed's, given that you're already at the show. It's over on the east side. Looks like a two mile walk from the terminal, wouldn't be too bad. Maybe I'll try that this year, just for fun.

Mike E

Ooops. If you're so inclined, I could probably talk Kat into letting you ride with us over there either Thursday night or Friday in the late afternoon. We'll have our car and other than the usual running around and one pressing thing on my schedule, we're free the rest of the time especially of the evenings.

MEdwards
06-26-2012, 10:40 AM
Thanks a lot Steve. I appreciate the offer. That's the kind of thing that results in Oshkosh traditions. Can't accept right now, however, since I really don't know how long I'll be staying at AirVenture. Have a great time.

Mike E

steveinindy
06-26-2012, 12:56 PM
No worries. I know I'm not everyone's favorite person on here a lot of the time, but we are all aviation buffs and the offer of a ride, reasonable assistance, etc always stands.

steve
06-26-2012, 04:57 PM
SteveinIndy,
I think your spot in the doghouse was just taken by the "license revoker" dude in the "Modest Proposal" thread over in Hangar Talk.

MEdwards
06-26-2012, 05:04 PM
Hay, no doghouse here. I just really really don't know if I'm going to stay at Oshkosh beyond Wednesday. Depends on too many things this year. Hope all have a great time, even the license revoker.

Mike E

steveinindy
06-26-2012, 05:54 PM
SteveinIndy,
I think your spot in the doghouse was just taken by the "license revoker" dude in the "Modest Proposal" thread over in Hangar Talk.

KSCessnaDriver's an OK guy. Cut him some slack. If we all agreed all the time, nothing would ever move forward.

Hope all have a great time, even the license revoker.

All I want is for everyone to enjoy themselves and no one to crash going to or from this year. Everything else is superfluous.

Jefflcarr
06-27-2012, 09:20 AM
A few of my favorite Oshkosh Traditions (I've been coming since the early 90s).

-Heading down to Aeroshell Square/ConocoPhilipps Plaza at dusk to grab some great photos
-Watching all the unique and crazy contraptions in Camp Scholler
-Listening to morning/evening arrivals and departures on ATC (never ceases to amaze me "cleared to land on the green dot....")
-The night show (more recent, but definitely a tradition already) and the mass exodus down Schaick Ave when it's over
-Listening to Danny Clisham call the afternoon airshow

I could go on....

Looking forward to #OSH12!

Zack Baughman
06-27-2012, 09:39 AM
all i want is for everyone to enjoy themselves and no one to crash going to or from this year. Everything else is superfluous.

Spot on! Unequivocally agree 110%!!!!

Zack Baughman
06-27-2012, 09:47 AM
One of my traditions is to visit the Sacred Heart food stand located just northwest of the main gate at least once during the week, and usually more than once. Good food with good prices and some of the nicest people running the stand you could ever hope to meet. At least once during the week I make my way to the the last airplane at the south end of the field in "North Fond du Lac", and I always spend at least an hour some evening watching the flying activity at the ultralights strip.

Perhaps my favorite thing to do is get onto the grounds between 5:30 and 6:00am, get the Timeless Voices tent opened up, and then spend 30-40 minutes taking photos in the golden glow of the sunrise. It's a beautiful time to be on the grounds, and the smell of freshly prepared donuts drifting around from down by the IAC building is mouthwatering.

Other than that, Oshkosh to me has evolved from being about seeing the latest and greatest airplanes and restorations to seeing some of my closest friends every summer. I love it!

avinuts
06-28-2012, 06:09 PM
Second the motion at Ardy and Eds! We have had a tradition of one night there during the week. Probably about ten years now. The number of people continues to expand. All that camp around us from Scholler and even a couple of the "Warbird types". Great place to eat, be served by carhops on roller skates, listen to 50's-60's music and watch the airplanes fly low over your head on final to 27 after the daily show. Ah, only a month to go!

avinuts
06-28-2012, 06:13 PM
Look us up in Camp Scholler...

bbutler365
06-29-2012, 01:03 PM
This will be our second Oshkosh Airventure. The first one was 6 years ago when my youngest as just 6. Now my other son is 6 and it is his time. So my 83 year old father (Korea / Viet-Nam vet) myself and my 12 year old and now my 6 year old will be back up from Texas to Oshkosh.
Great vacation, great tradition and hope to continue for many years to come.

n43511
06-29-2012, 03:24 PM
A few buddies and I have been coming to Oshkosh for 23 years now and still celebrate the Oshkwinox every January because we are excited to be half-way there!&nbsp; We've flown ourselves the last 7 years or so.&nbsp; We love seeing the airplanes, spending too much money at the vendors, and particularly talking to the people at lunch and near their aircraft.&nbsp; A week immersed in aviation.&nbsp; What's not to love!&nbsp; For those who have not already, make sure to see the Seaplane Base.&nbsp; It is a bucolic oasis on a hot day; a nice break from the heat and the crowds - and their roasted corn is great!&nbsp; One of my traditions, like Zack Baughman, is to walk almost to Fond du Lac to see how many airplanes are parked.&nbsp; It gives a good idea of the show's attendance, and the state of the economy.&nbsp; Hope to see airplanes all the way to the fence this year!<br><br>Hope to see you on the flightline!<br><br><br>

rawheels
07-03-2012, 05:09 PM
A more recent tradition has been checking on the progress of some of the flying cars each year. Especially the I-Tec Maverick Flying Car. I was sorry to hear about Steve Saint's airplane accident. His life is an amazing story, and I am amazed by how well he is handling his injuries.

Tom Steber
07-03-2012, 08:51 PM
I've been going for , well this will be my 42nd in a row now. A few years back I took my brother-in-law along. As we're walking in he stops and says "I smell donuts!". I said,"so?".
He said, "You've never had fresh donuts before, have you?". Well, we went over and had some. Since then it's absolutely the first place we go every morning. And get there early too or the line is about 150ft long by 8:30!

AndyNZ
07-04-2012, 01:44 AM
Great post cheers s10sakota.
Speaking of which, the most affordable fun you can have upside down is in one of those! Fantastic aeroplane.
Well I am extremely excited. This will be my first. I am flying into LA, from New Zealand. And will end up flying in with a friend in his Tiger Moth from Iowa. There is alot that I plan to do, but the things I am most looking forward to, are seeing Glacier Girl and Fifi, seeing Sean D Tucker, Melissa Pembleton Mike Goulian and Matt Chapman's displays (IAC'er speaking here!!). Sampling lots of different local beers is also on the priority list also.
We are planning to visit Fond du lac on teh way home on the 29th as well. I want to land there, have lunch and walk around the place thinking about the days when Herendeen, Pitts, Haigh, Weeks, Davis,Hillard, Soucey, Poberezny and all the other massive names of the 60s 70s and 80s were there. When there were several rows of red and white Pitts (similar to what we're building back home), the days when Zlin's monoplanes were pretty new and biplanes were the vast majority.
I have a couple of days booked @ the Tutima Academy as well - seriously looking forward to seeing what the S2C is like. I instruct and do joyrides in A's and B's here so looking forward to those couple of days.
If there are any regulars here which there appear to be, any other must do's while there? We are arriving a day early and leaving the day after it all winds up and will be camping next to the aeroplane.

Really looking forward to this trip!

regards,
Andy

Ozzie
07-04-2012, 04:25 AM
AndyNZ, make sure you register at the 'International Visitors' tent and get the details for the BBQ they throw. Local breweries have mighty fine products to be sampled for free!

Rob Flansburg
07-04-2012, 11:10 AM
Sampling lots of different local beers is also on the priority list also.

Make sure you have at least one glass of Spotted Cow from New Glarus Brewing. I look forward to this every year. They only sell their beer within the state of WI. :(

FlyGirl86
07-04-2012, 11:18 AM
I've been attending AirVenture since 1986,(only 6 weeks old), thanks to my parents who celebrate their wedding anniversay at Oshkosh also. I guess you can say that we have many traditions during our week at Oshkosh. I've been able to make it every year except for 3 years I believe, and that's only because the Army didn't sync it's schedule with AirVenture! Two years ago I was even able to make it for 4 days right before deploying to Iraq and was also able to make it home from deployment last year to spend the whole week at airshow. Every year it seems that we go earlier and stay later and as soon as the last day finishes we are already talking and planning for next year. Our family traditions start by arriving early on the Saturday before the show, setting up camp-we are always on the same row every year, then we usually go down to watch the arrivals and by the time we get back to camp some of the rest of the crew shows up! Hitting up the pavillions and the square are always a first on Monday and we usually end up at the Warbirds every afternoon and then settle down for the show. Being in the military, I make a point of joining in the Veteran's Parade-it's great to hear the stories! And then there is also the weekly trip to Ardy & Ed's for dinner and then the LT Dan Band(sorry that they won't be here this year) and the night air show! There are so many traditions that I have, and probably to many to list here. There is always more that enough to see and do than the week that you are given and can't wait to fly "home" and see Oshkosh in 18 days!!!

CarlOrton
07-04-2012, 03:23 PM
Make sure you have at least one glass of Spotted Cow from New Glarus Brewing. I look forward to this every year. They only sell their beer within the state of WI. :(
Hi, Rob. Funny; we were just discussing this with someone last night. Can't wait!

glider90
07-08-2012, 08:00 AM
I have been thinking about this thread, and it took me a while to separate "habit" from tradition with this being my 37th convention though I am not yet 40 years old. Some of my favorite traditions are no longer possible, but some here may recall some of them.

Traditions since past:
~We would arrive and camp in Scholler early (and in the really early years up near the warbirds). Up until about ten years ago you could easily get a bike inside the gates a few days before the show. We would go in and ride down Wittman (which was main street then). The Sky Shoppe was the only merchandise building, long before the Wearhouse. We would stop there and "window shop" the shirt offering for the year. It was always exciting to see the new designs for the first time there (obviously pre-internet).
~There was always a chapter trip to Shakey's Pizza for dinner one night. Back then Shakey's was A) Still open B) Had a piano player and you could throw peanut shells on the floor.
~Just about every morning dad and I would get up early, before the rest of the family, and hike to the warbirds to take pictures. If we got a good start we would be in the warbird area by the time Bill Ricketts did his trademark 7 AM yodel wake up call? I really miss this most of all. Dad's last convention after not missing one since 1968 was 2004. "The Yodler", which was all we ever knew Bill as passed in 2005. I wonder if they have that on tape and still play it?
~Seeing "the whistler" at theater in the woods.
~Me, my brother, and my sister all quitting summer jobs to go to Oshkosh if they would not give us the time off.
~A rather large (Over 130 people in the late 80's) chapter Luau in Camp Scholler, complete with flaming volcano.

Traditions still with us:
~The entire family camping together. Last year we had three generations.
~Still tent camping, after 40+ years.
~Heading to the Warbird Cafe for great pancakes at breakfast and a better view at least once.
~Breakfast at camp with a fresh copy "Airventure Today".
~Wisconsin Brats and kraut cooking up while we keep an eye on the air show from camp.
~A visit to the seaplane base, and on warm water years an afternoon (or several) of swimming there as well.
~A trip to the museum, kidventure, and a trip to pay our respects to Dad's brick at the top of compass hill.

mazdaP5
07-08-2012, 01:05 PM
Have always tent camped in Scholler, this will be 30 years since my first Oshkosh. Breakfast and dinners at aces cafe, we always get a pizza on the flightline at least one night. I walk everywhere, never take the shuttle. It's a yearly event to be inside of an exhibit building or shop when some fast mover arrives, miss it every time.

Sawdust
07-08-2012, 09:20 PM
@s10sakota - great thread! Love this. My son (21 years old now) and I have been attending since '07, but missed SploshKosh (he had a summer session of college classes). Neither of us are pilots, so we drive from Houston. We get excited just preparing for the trip. 1271 miles, over 20 hours on the road each way. We love the trek, and one tradition is seeing how long we can go without stopping. Record so far was one 10 hour non-stop leg over 700 miles (42 gallon gas tank). We literally ran out of gas and coasted down the ramp into a gas station.

Other traditions we enjoy:
-Hearing "Welcome to Oshkosh" at Camp Registration, and then setting up camp as fast as possible so we can get to flight line.
-Daily root beer floats during the show - we're frequent floaters!
-Volunteering at flight line ops each afternoon - my son's idea, and it put a whole new perspective on Oshkosh for us.
-Evening walks enjoying the sight of thousands of planes in the sunset (and getting some great video and pics).
-Waking up in the tent to the sound of the skywriters or the blimp droning overhead

AndyNZ
07-09-2012, 03:32 PM
FlyGirl86,

Sounds like you have it well sorted! It is amazing hearing all these stories and traditions - makes me all the more excited, this being my first visit.

With landing the day before and leaving on the day after it all winds up I hope not to miss anything. That tool on the eaa website is handy, I have a complete list of all the forums/seminars/air displays etc dated and timed and where they are located so I won't miss the priority events.
Thanks for that Rob, I won't miss it.
S10, not sure if the pic has attached properly - just a snap of a friend and I cruising around near a friend's strip in his S10. My friend on board is an experienced GA instructor, 1800hrs total (I am a GA instructor as well but more of a recreational pilot although I do several different weekend flying jobs) - anyway, went out to convert her to Microlights and she was real impressed. Also did a type intro with her in the Tiger Moth which she really loved .I mean, what's not to love?

Those S10s are the perfect cost effective aerobatic machine that's for sure. :)

Am boarding the plane in 6 days for LA, can't wait!

Sirota
07-13-2012, 05:47 PM
SOS Bros! Great Views, great Brats, cold beer

FlyGirl86
07-14-2012, 10:33 AM
Just thinking that by this time next week, I will be in Oshkosh watching mass arrivals!!! I've got the "Oshkosh Bug" and just can't wait! The bag is 80% packed and I think my family is just as excited. My dad and I are insane if we don't mention airshow at least 5 times in the day over the phone...

AndyNZ,
It's good to have the list, don't worry you will absolutely get your fill of AirVenture even if you don't see everything! It's very difficult to see it all, I never manage it! Early welcome to your first AirVenture and if you are looking for a campfire, friendly people, and some airplane talk feel free to look us up in the North 40 of Camp Scholler, row 4 or 5-The Urbans.:D