PDA

View Full Version : When to arrive at Camp Scholler to camp EAST of Doolittle?

glider90
06-22-2012, 02:44 PM
I have been camping at Oshkosh at Camp Scholler since 1972 (when I was nine months old). Back then we would come up about four or five days before the start and camp where exhibit building "B" now sits. Heck back then even the woods were partially open that late I think. More recently we have been arriving the Saturday before the start, and have basically been camping on 41. More people come up early, and the campgrounds have been absorbed for other uses. All part of change, and I understand it.
This year I am bringing my young family, and would like to camp closer to the action. Does anyone know how soon one need to arrive to tent camp EAST of Doolittle? The area in particular I am hoping for is shown in the red box on the attached image. We plan on getting to OSH Tuesday before the show the 21st ***EDIT, Tuesday the 17th, thanks Sawdust***, the , so six days before open), anyone know from recent experience how well I can hope to fare?
Thanks
~Jim

Sawdust
06-22-2012, 03:06 PM
Great Question. But one clarification - opening day is the 23rd, so the 21st (Sunday) is only two days before open. If you're arriving the Tuesday before, that's the 17th. Assuming that's what you mean?

Last year I arrived two days before (Saturday evening) and the best I could do was 17th at Elm. I'm planning to arrive the morning of the 21st (Saturday before opening), and hoping to end up East of Stits.

I think a lot depends on attendance each year, and how big a space you need. When we arrived last year, there were some very small spaces open closer, but not big enough for our large tent, canopy, grill, and vehicle.

Would love to hear from some of the experienced campers how early you have to arrive to get a decent spot in your red box area.

Gently56
06-22-2012, 06:58 PM
Wow, I guess I am do some serious hobbling! I have never been to OSH and have a weeks camping and entry fee paid for, but I can not arrive until SUNDAY night (the 22nd). Does anyone know how fast the "Handicap" camping fills up? I know I cannot reserve a space (according to the web site) We just have a tent and a small car (a HHR) any thoughts, from someone with experience in this area?

Thanks,

Mike

rleffler
06-22-2012, 07:48 PM
We typically stake our sites on the Tuesday before. You will be able to get a site in the red box.

Sawdust
06-22-2012, 10:20 PM
So with work up to Thursday before, and a 20 hour drive from Houston, I can't get there until Saturday. Is it "fair" to get someone else who arrives earlier to stake out and save us a space? Or is that abusing the system?

rleffler
06-23-2012, 05:15 AM
Groups stake out sites all the time. More are doing it every year based on how much further west we end up every year.

glider90
06-23-2012, 05:46 AM
Thanks for the heads up Sawdust, yes we are arriving Tuesday the 17th. Thanks for the responses this far!
~Jim

Chris In Marshfield
06-25-2012, 10:09 AM
I usually go the Saturday before to set up. There's usually plenty of room up there.

~Chris

skeeter_ca
06-25-2012, 11:25 AM
I'm arriving on monday the 23rd. All i'm carrying in is a 4 person tent and a couple chairs. I don't need a very big spot. Would there be any left by then somewhere near up front. I was even thinking if i'm way back in the back later in the week i could watch for any spaces opening up and move the tent up closer. Whatta think?

skeeter

Chris In Marshfield
06-25-2012, 11:29 AM
I usually go up to camp around mid-day Sunday, and Scholler is pretty well packed that far up by that time. But then again, I don't usually go looking for space after I've already set up. You might get lucky and find some vacant real estate up there!

~Chris

rleffler
06-25-2012, 11:42 AM
I'm arriving on monday the 23rd. All i'm carrying in is a 4 person tent and a couple chairs. I don't need a very big spot. Would there be any left by then somewhere near up front. I was even thinking if i'm way back in the back later in the week i could watch for any spaces opening up and move the tent up closer. Whatta think?

skeeter

Almost nil of a chance. Spots start opening up after Wednesday.

The group I camp with has been staking sites the Tuesday before for years. We used to be able to get 57th/58th, but the last couple years it's been 54th/53rd. Our spot has been creeping further west every year.

bob

AeroPilot
06-25-2012, 01:22 PM
How about Sunday evening? Are the 101 Woods north of the registration area a common place that fill fast? Does registration guide you at all to open spaces or areas for you to go? After 18+ hrs on the motorcycle in 2 days, I'm not going to want to hunt for a spot all evening.

rleffler
06-25-2012, 07:49 PM
Nope, it's first come, first serve. You have to drive around to find a free space. There is no map kept of where campers squat.

It all depends how close you want. The further out, the easier it is to grab a spot.

Jeff Point
06-25-2012, 07:56 PM
So with work up to Thursday before, and a 20 hour drive from Houston, I can't get there until Saturday. Is it "fair" to get someone else who arrives earlier to stake out and save us a space? Or is that abusing the system?It is fair and commonly done. The only caveat is that the site has to be paid for from the day it is staked out.

Mayhemxpc
07-02-2012, 10:43 AM
This will be the third year of flying up and camping with my family. In previous years we camped at Warbirds, but we thought we would try Scholler this year, arriving on the 22d (weather permitting.) Now I am unsure about that decision. I don't need to be too far forward and a little peace and quiet is nice (especially getting the younger children to sleep.) So will I be able to find a nice spot for my large, family-sized tent and minivan, or do we just go back to Warbirds. (Note: I am flying up with my oldest, the balance is driving up with the mother unit.)

Antique Tower
07-02-2012, 03:57 PM
I think Tuesday before the show the area in the box will be wide open.

Just remember that some of that area is electrical spots.

And if this weather is any indication, this year I'd rather be in the shade than up close......

flybuddy
07-05-2012, 05:48 PM
I think Tuesday before the show the area in the box will be wide open.

Just remember that some of that area is electrical spots.

And if this weather is any indication, this year I'd rather be in the shade than up close......

Are the electrical spots taken up that early also?? I'm coming up from Fort Myers, FL (will be first time for wife and daughter) and I sold this to her that we'd have electric and water. Our plan was to arrive the Wed before..thx

Chris In Marshfield
07-06-2012, 07:11 AM
Wednesday before, you'll probably be able to find a spot with water and electric, if I had to guess. They don't fill up as quickly as the others because they cost twice as much. But last year was the first year, really, that they were available, so tough to judge how quickly they filled up. They were in two years ago, but that area was flooded out, so didn't see much (if any) use.

I like the area where they put the electric in. I used to camp there every year until they "upgraded" it. It's in the trees, it's cool, and right next to the showers and the theater.

~Chris

flybuddy
07-07-2012, 05:19 PM
Wednesday before, you'll probably be able to find a spot with water and electric, if I had to guess. They don't fill up as quickly as the others because they cost twice as much. But last year was the first year, really, that they were available, so tough to judge how quickly they filled up. They were in two years ago, but that area was flooded out, so didn't see much (if any) use.I like the area where they put the electric in. I used to camp there every year until they "upgraded" it. It's in the trees, it's cool, and right next to the showers and the theater.~Chris Thx Chris, appreciate the educated opinion.

flybuddy
07-07-2012, 05:29 PM
It is fair and commonly done. The only caveat is that the site has to be paid for from the day it is staked out.
It's fair if you're local.
It's fair if you have a local buddy you can impose on.
It's fair if you're getting revenue from the early empty spots.
For someone bringing family members for first time from 1500 miles away who doesn't have that option, it's not necessarily fair.Someone making a more substantial effort to attend due to distance, starts at a disadvantage...fair??Fair would be if everyone had the same options. If you allow staking out spots, why not reservations? More revenue, more "fair".

Sawdust
07-07-2012, 06:32 PM
@flybuddy - to put it in perspective, I've been way out (as far down as 8th) for a number of years. It's not bad, just a little bit more walking (maybe an additional 10 minutes). Or, you can just catch the shuttle buses that run through camp, so there is a solution even you end up out west. With this many people, not everyone can be close, and EAA has done a great job of making Scholler a great place to stay no matter when you arrive.

Personally I like your idea of allowing folks to pay for advance reservations, but I guarantee that people would complain about "selling out" just for revenue, so it's a no-win for our fine EAA staff who have to try to make everyone happy. There's just no way to make it all "fair" (if that means equal) for everyone. For example, is it fair that your electrical hook-ups section took up a bunch of closer in spaces that us tent campers used to have a shot at? Tent campers probably don't think that's fair, but I bet you'll greatly appreciate it!

Just putting it all in perspective, can't wait to get to to Camp Scholler no matter where my spot is!

flybuddy
07-08-2012, 05:48 AM
@flybuddy - to put it in perspective, I've been way out (as far down as 8th) for a number of years. It's not bad, just a little bit more walking (maybe an additional 10 minutes). Or, you can just catch the shuttle buses that run through camp, so there is a solution even you end up out west. With this many people, not everyone can be close, and EAA has done a great job of making Scholler a great place to stay no matter when you arrive.

Personally I like your idea of allowing folks to pay for advance reservations, but I guarantee that people would complain about "selling out" just for revenue, so it's a no-win for our fine EAA staff who have to try to make everyone happy. There's just no way to make it all "fair" (if that means equal) for everyone. For example, is it fair that your electrical hook-ups section took up a bunch of closer in spaces that us tent campers used to have a shot at? Tent campers probably don't think that's fair, but I bet you'll greatly appreciate it!

Just putting it all in perspective, can't wait to get to to Camp Scholler no matter where my spot is!

Thx for the positive thoughts. I've flown in over a dozen times and camped with plane. Couple of times with buddies in campground. My first year bringing Motor home with wife and kids. To put it in another perspective--they already have advanced reservations--you just have to do them in person (pay and stake off spot). distance folks can't do that. EAA might make more money with true advance reservations but then they would have to put a reserved stake at each site and may not want to deal with the extra work. Unfortunately, at this point, we are discussing other possible vacation spots with the camper. In this case, it's not a matter of getting closer, it's that we need a power spot which, for my wife, is a go, no go decision. If I tell her, don't worry honey, we'll get one and we don't, it will not be a pleasant week and guaranteed that the family won't ever go again.
One other thing--myself and one other buddy are two campers who always camp very early at Sun-N-Fun (front row). We have dozens of "friends" who grossly impose on us each year due to similar rules.

Jeff Point
07-08-2012, 07:01 AM
It's fair if you're local.

OK, you got me there. I took the question about fairness to mean "is it acceptable to do so under the standards currently understood by everyone involved?" and I answered it in the context of that understanding. As others pointed out, "fairness" is often in the eye of the beholder, and I was not trying to pass judgement in that way.

I sent you a PM with my phone number. Perhaps I can help you out with your situation.

Chris In Marshfield
07-08-2012, 08:05 PM
You certainly can pay for your site at Scholler in advance, but you can't really "stake your site" until you get there. The challenge with doing reservations there is that there aren't any defined spots, per se. It's essentially a really big field with roads sorta marked on the field, and you create a spot between the roads. Everyone gets a 20x30' spot, I believe it is, per paid registration. I usually camp with 8-12 people, and we usually get 5-7 sites, depending on how the year goes and who comes with us. And since we camp as a community, we combine those spots and arrange the square footage so that it accommodates us all and allows for community activities as well. I also host a type club dinner at our site, so it's nice to have the flexibility to arrange the site so that it works for us that way.

Electric/water sites are more traditionally set up with specific boundaries, just like any other campground, so you don't really have the flexibility to adjust your camp-space.

Either way you slice it, I wish you the best of luck in your travels, and hope you and your wife enjoy the event!

Best regards,
Chris