PDA

View Full Version : Civil air patrol

drewgriff
08-04-2011, 08:45 AM
Does anyone know much about it????

I'm planning on joining it but I want some more info on it.

Thanks

FlyingRon
08-04-2011, 09:09 AM
www.gocivilairpatrol.com

The one thing I can say is that there's a large variability in the differing wings. Further, there's enough different activities involved that you can have different experiences in the same wing depending on what you want to do.

drewgriff
08-04-2011, 11:04 AM
www.gocivilairpatrol.com (http://www.gocivilairpatrol.com)

The one thing I can say is that there's a large variability in the differing wings. Further, there's enough different activities involved that you can have different experiences in the same wing depending on what you want to do.

Thanks

(BTW you can look at signature to see what my plans are;))

Eric Page
08-06-2011, 07:05 PM
Drew,

I was a CAP cadet for something like six or seven years (in Washington state), and was later an adult member (in Washington and Oklahoma). I soloed through CAP's solo encampment and that was the spark that lit my aviation fire. I won't claim that there's any direct connection, but I presently fly for a living.

FlyingRon is right WRT the variability of CAP wings (basically, each state is a separate wing). The Washington wing wasn't noted as a top-tier organization during my youth, and the local squadron I belonged to was more concerned with working airshow security than anything pilot-related. Still, Washington Wing did run powered and glider solo encampments. [Sadly, the glider encampement was cancelled the year I planned to attend, due to a lack of available tow planes. It took me nearly 25 years to finally add a glider license!]

Many CAP squadrons have aircraft at their disposal and participate actively in CAP's search-and-rescue mission. As I recall, all CAP SAR mission pilots are adult members. I don't believe cadets pilot CAP aircraft outside of organized flight encampments or orientation flight events (roughly analagous to Young Eagles).

I'd reccommend searching the CAP website for squadrons near you and drop in on their meetings. Talk to other cadets and ask them what kind of activities their squadron participates in outside of weekly meetings, and how frequently. Does the squadron have an aircraft? Pay close attention to the adult members: how many are there, and how engaged or motivated to they appear? Any individual squadron will only be as good as the leadership that's running it.

Keep in mind that CAP is the auxiliary of the US Air Force, so there's a significant military component to membership. You'll have to buy uniforms, learn to march, learn military customs and courtesies ("yes sir," "no sir," saluting, etc.). I came from a military family and I thought all that stuff was pretty cool. Your background and interests may be different.

In some parts of the country there are Aviation Explorer posts that might be worth a look as well. See http://www.aviationexploring.org/

I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you have about CAP. I subscribed to this thread, so just post here again or send a PM and the board will email me.

Cheers, Eric

Anymouse
08-07-2011, 08:18 AM
Keep in mind that CAP is the auxiliary of the US Air Force, so there's a significant military component to membership. You'll have to buy uniforms, learn to march, learn military customs and courtesies ("yes sir," "no sir," saluting, etc.). I came from a military family and I thought all that stuff was pretty cool. Your background and interests may be different.

In some parts of the country there are Aviation Explorer posts that might be worth a look as well. See http://www.aviationexploring.org/

Just a couple quick clarifications. The only time CAP uniforms are required is when you are flying on a CAP aircraft or CAP mission (in the event a non-owned aircraft is being used). Also, senior members are not required to march. That's a Cadet thing only. If a squadron says you have to march, find another squadron.

I agree with Aviation Explorers, however keep in mind that the Boy Scouts do not allow Explorer posts to own aircraft anymore.

tuba god
08-07-2011, 10:22 AM
How hard is CAP to join?

Anymouse
08-07-2011, 01:57 PM
How hard is CAP to join?

Pretty down right easy.

Find a local squadron.

Go to a meeting.

Ask for an application.

Get finger printed (they do a background check to make sure you're not a child molester)

Bring filled out application and fingerprint card with you to the next meeting, along with a dues check.

Continue to show up to meetings and, viola, you're a member.

First thing you need to do after officially becoming a member is do Phase I training. This basically is just watching a couple of videos about the CAP and Cadet protection. (CAP is BIG on Cadet protection!!) There will be hoops you need to jump through to participate (training, paperwork, etc.). Work with the system and you'll find that it can be rather rewarding.

steveinindy
08-07-2011, 02:07 PM
The Washington wing wasn't noted as a top-tier organization during my youth, and the local squadron I belonged to was more concerned with working airshow security than anything pilot-related.

Sounds like the Indiana Wing, except replace "working airshow security" with "playing with communications equipment". LOL

tuba god
08-07-2011, 04:18 PM
ok thanks

CAPkid
06-17-2013, 09:23 AM
Okay, um uniforms are required at every meeting, whether it is your PT uniform, your Blues (AF style), or your BDUs (camo). Senior members do not have to march.

JimRice85
06-17-2013, 09:24 PM
Just beware the wannabe warriors who fancy themselves real military members. They are the exception, but they are out there.

Anymouse
06-17-2013, 10:33 PM
Okay, um uniforms are required at every meeting, whether it is your PT uniform, your Blues (AF style), or your BDUs (camo). Senior members do not have to march.

I'm assuming that you're referring to cadets only. The only time Seniors are required to wear a uniform is when they're flying in a CAP aircraft or on a CAP mission if in a non-CAP aircraft.

Jim Hann
06-18-2013, 08:48 AM
Just beware the wannabe warriors who fancy themselves real military members. They are the exception, but they are out there.Yep, few and far in between but I have seen them at OSH and a few other places. I've got a buddy who is a CAP Senior and he is real laid back about it, airline pilot in real life, no prior military.

Bill Greenwood
06-18-2013, 11:00 AM
The CAP cadets at EAA are helpful, that is, most of the time. They can get carried away with being too serious sometimes, but I am sure they are just doing what they think they are told to do.
One year my plane was parked just east of the volunteer building, where I was sitting in the shade and thinking about what to do when flying in the show. The Cap cadets were being plane guards, so that the area was mostly clear. When it was almost time to go, I walked out to my plane and of course the CAP guy was after me like a duck on a june bug. I explained that I needed to get in the plane in order to fly it. This seem to give him pause for a moment, then he went back to telling me that I shouldn't be there and should not touch the plane. Finally, since I wasn't making much progress with talking to him, I just went ahead and got in . Fortunately he wasn't armed, so not dangerous.
He wasn't there 30 minutes later when I came back.

I wish the kids could get some time off, to come over to the display areas as individuals, not as some formal group function, and get to know the planes and talk to the pilots in a relaxed way.

I've seen cadets get to fly in the gliders at Boulder which they seem to enjoy.

I might even offer them a free flight if they wanted as long as they would quit calling me "sir".

JimRice85
06-18-2013, 07:12 PM
I had CAP Cadets try telling me I couldn't go to my plane (BT-13) once. I just said "Really" and kept walking and climbed in. That didn't bother me. At another air show I was in my military flight suit with my 2LT bars on the shoulders (I was an aerial observer on OH-58s) when some CAP LTC thought he was going to "light me up" for not saluting him. I actually didn't see him, not that it would have made a difference. He came away from the encounter much more enlightened about being a civilian and not really being a commissioned officer.

Almost all my other encounters with CAP types have been okay to neutral. A few folks are wrapped a bit too tight, but generally most are okay.

iflyprops
06-20-2013, 08:30 PM
CAP, from what I have observed, is one of the most dangerous organizations in aviation. From flying, undoubtedly, over gross to flying VFR in IMC conditions. I'm sure there are bad eggs and "squadrons" but my experience being in their presence has been dismal.

PA11
06-20-2013, 09:11 PM
The Civil Air Patrol is responsible for more search and rescues for not closing flight plans than most, which is ironic.

All swivel chair patrol jokes aside, I was a cadet who stuck with it through most of high school, and thoroughly enjoyed it. As with any volunteer organization, you'll only get out of it what you put in.