PDA

View Full Version : First-timer to Oshkosh

pathollywood
05-29-2012, 10:31 PM
Well, I am finally gonna take my own trip that I have wanted for a few years now. It'll be my first trip up there, and first trip alone. I will be travelling by either Amtrak or Greyhound, since I do not own a personal car. I am excited for this trip, but also somewhat nervous and overwhelmed by it all, already. Any tips and tricks to help me out? Also, I do want to camp in Camp Scholler this first time out, and also lend some time for volunteer work to help out my limited budget. But, my parents would prefer to have me bunk up in a dorm room, a hotel, or a room in a house. Problem is, I know someone who will be renting out a room in a house for $40 a night, which is pretty cheap. But again, my parents are worried that I might be taken advantage of or scammed in the deal. The other thing that kinda worries me is not having any personal transportation when I get there, since I will be 100% on foot. With my parents, they aren't too sure that they would want me going alone but that will be the only way that I will get to go to AirVenture. Other than that, I can't wait to make it up there. I know that I will run into plenty of people I know and trust.

Thanks in advance! :D

Jim Clark
05-29-2012, 11:09 PM
Where are you traveling from? Have you looked into ride sharing?

pathollywood
05-29-2012, 11:36 PM
I will be traveling out of Springfield, MO (if Greyhound) or out of St. Louis (if Amtrak).

I have looked into the Ride Share program, but it seems like no one close by has any postings up, as of yet anyways.

Joe Delene
05-30-2012, 02:33 AM
For the most part the crowd at OSH is rather trustworthy, if course you have to use common sense when your traveling or putting down deposits for quarters. I think once you are in the OSH area you should be able to sniff around for a ride if you need one. Take a look at all the seminars offered on the EAA site, many of varied interest on any given day. I'd check the ones that interest you & print off a copy & have that list to work off. You may or may not get to all of them, but it is some good filler from looking around at all the stuff.

steveinindy
05-30-2012, 02:44 AM
Why not take the train up to Union Station in Chicago and then take Greyhound from there to Oshkosh? There is a bus station in town (or was last time I checked).

That way, you don't have to worry about your ride having to leave earlier, etc. I've gotten stuck a couple of times because of unforeseen stuff like that and in one case if it hadn't been for the guys from Swift Fuel, I'd probably still be up in Oshkosh (not that it's a bad thing at all.... ;) )

Check 6
05-30-2012, 12:37 PM
I will be traveling out of Springfield, MO (if Greyhound) or out of St. Louis (if Amtrak).

I have looked into the Ride Share program, but it seems like no one close by has any postings up, as of yet anyways.

I would suggest posting in the Ride Share program under "looking for a ride"

KCPilot
05-31-2012, 12:43 PM
Camp if at all possible.....part of the fun of Airventure is being on the grounds in the evening.

vaflier
05-31-2012, 01:25 PM
Everything you need is in easy walking distance and there are buses running to Target and several other areas that are free of charge. There are several restaurants in easy walikind distance if you want to eat out and also the Hilton has a great breakfast buffet as well as dinner. You will find it easy to get around. Camping on the grounds is the only way to go. Great people everywhere.

ajpaero
05-31-2012, 09:05 PM
If you would like to camp, I will have an extra air mattress and tent that I would be happy to loan you for your stay. You will have to furnish your own sleeping bag. We will be at Camp Scholler from 7/21 to 7/29 with our travel trailer and would be happy to have you camp with us. Camping on the grounds is the greatest. We can also show you some of the ropes of being at the greatest aviation celebration in the world.

Getting around Airventure is easy. Shuttle buses run around the campground to the Airventure grounds frequently until 9 or 10 PM. Trams run around the Airventure grounds until 8 or 9 PM. There is bus transportation to the Seaplane Base for a nominal charge.

We will be running into town and to the Seaplane Base with our car and you would be welcome to come along.

Just remember, airplane people are just folks. You will find them to be friendly, helpful and will make you feel welcome at Airventure.

If you are interested in the above, post a reply with contact info and I'll contact you.

A.J. Pawlowski
Tucson, AZ & Menominee, MI

malexander
06-01-2012, 03:39 AM
If you would like to camp, I will have an extra air mattress and tent that I would be happy to loan you for your stay. You will have to furnish your own sleeping bag. We will be at Camp Scholler from 7/21 to 7/29 with our travel trailer and would be happy to have you camp with us. Camping on the grounds is the greatest. We can also show you some of the ropes of being at the greatest aviation celebration in the world.

Getting around Airventure is easy. Shuttle buses run around the campground to the Airventure grounds frequently until 9 or 10 PM. Trams run around the Airventure grounds until 8 or 9 PM. There is bus transportation to the Seaplane Base for a nominal charge.

We will be running into town and to the Seaplane Base with our car and you would be welcome to come along.

Just remember, airplane people are just folks. You will find them to be friendly, helpful and will make you feel welcome at Airventure.

If you are interested in the above, post a reply with contact info and I'll contact you.

A.J. Pawlowski
Tucson, AZ & Menominee, MI

Funny you should "say" this. I wanted to post the same thing, but wasn't sure how to word it. The only difference is I don't have a spare tent and we'll be in Sleepy Hollow from 7/20 thru 7/27.

Keith Moorman
06-01-2012, 10:55 PM
Camping in Camp Scholler is the way to totally get the Oshkosh experience.

Either way you end up in Oshkosh, by bus or train, you can take a taxi to the registration area. Many people do it every year. After you are registered the volunteers on the "ramp" will take you and your gear to find a nice, comfortable camping spot via golf cart or gator. All you have to do is ask, and make sure you tell everyone you are a first timer, that way we will make an extra effort to make sure you know where everything is located.

Keith Moorman
Chairman
Camper Registration Ramp

ozzieandgracie
06-04-2012, 01:06 PM
I camped at Camp Scholler in 2008, 2009 and 2010 and found it a fantastic experience and it is great on the budget too! I have never had any experiences with anybody that I would call unsavory or anyone that wanted to take advantage of us. Actaully it's quite the opposite, everyone I have ever met seems to go out of their way to be so friendly and help out if you need it. Last year I stayed at Sleepy Hollow and also found it to be the same way, very nice folks and the people there seem to go out of their way to help you if you need it. Of course, as in all places, you need to use common sense. I always go by a saying I learned while in the Army in Viet Nam .... trust your buddy with your life ... but not your wallet. I think if you live by that rule you will have a fantastic time and will return again and again.

Have a great time !!!!
Ron Osborn

pathollywood
06-06-2012, 02:32 AM
Thanks everyone for the tips! Now I got to really narrow down my choices of what lodging is left this late in the game.

Inspector Fenwick
06-16-2012, 08:26 AM
Would you like to go to OSH in style? 1950 Cessna 195? I will know in a few weeks (from today) if my passenger is going to be able to attend. I am leaving Saturday before the event starts, most likely about noon. I need to let you know that my return schedule is not fixed. I normally leave for home on Thursday morning, but no guarantees. You will have to travel light. I have been attending OSH since it was called Rockford. I live in Springfield. PM me or email me and maybe we can work something out.

MEdwards
06-16-2012, 01:39 PM
I live in Springfield. PM me or email me and maybe we can work something out.Uh, would that be Springfield, Florida, or Springfield, Georgia, or Springfield, Illinois, or Springfield, Kentucky, or Springfield, Massachusetts, or Springfield, Michigan, or Springfield, Minnesota, or Springfield, Missouri, or Springfield, Nebraska, or Springfield, Ohio, or Springfield, Oregon, or Springfield, South Dakota, or Springfield, Tennessee, or Springfield, Colorado, or Springfield, Wisconsin, or Springfield, Louisiana, or Springfield, New York, or Springfield, Maine, or Springfield, South Carolina, or Springfield, New Hampshire, or Springfield, Vermont, or Springfield, Pennsylvania, or Springfield, New Jersey, or the Springfield where Homer lives?

Great of you to offer a ride however. I hope you get a taker.

Inspector Fenwick
06-16-2012, 01:51 PM
Uh, would that be Springfield, Florida, or Springfield, Georgia, or Springfield, Illinois, or Springfield, Kentucky, or Springfield, Massachusetts, or Springfield, Michigan, or Springfield, Minnesota, or Springfield, Missouri, or Springfield, Nebraska, or Springfield, Ohio, or Springfield, Oregon, or Springfield, South Dakota, or Springfield, Tennessee, or Springfield, Colorado, or Springfield, Wisconsin, or Springfield, Louisiana, or Springfield, New York, or Springfield, Maine, or Springfield, South Carolina, or Springfield, New Hampshire, or Springfield, Vermont, or Springfield, Pennsylvania, or Springfield, New Jersey, or the Springfield where Homer lives?

Great of you to offer a ride however. I hope you get a taker.

Well. errr. aaaaah......I guess I can say that I am in the same Springfield as has already been mentioned in this thread, thus my not elucidating on which Springfield that was.

MEdwards
06-16-2012, 02:39 PM
Oh, OK, sorry about that, Inspector. If I'd followed the entire thread I'd have realized yours was a note to an individual poster (the OP, in fact), not a broadcast offer of a ride to the world. Still, I was amused to find out how many of those similarly named towns there are in the USA! Have a great trip to Oshkosh. I think the area where the 195s park is labeled Interstate 195? Maybe we'll see your plane in that area.

Mike E

Inspector Fenwick
06-16-2012, 07:03 PM
Oh, OK, sorry about that, Inspector. If I'd followed the entire thread I'd have realized yours was a note to an individual poster (the OP, in fact), not a broadcast offer of a ride to the world. Still, I was amused to find out how many of those similarly named towns there are in the USA! Have a great trip to Oshkosh. I think the area where the 195s park is labeled Interstate 195? Maybe we'll see your plane in that area.

Mike E

Mike, please do stop by. I am arriving on Saturday evening (before). I will do some airplane parking duties, but otherwise I will be people watching sitting under that big wing on the 195. My plane is grey and white, I think the only one like that in our group. Stop and "sit a spell".

MEdwards
06-17-2012, 12:17 AM
Thanks, Larry, will do.
Mike E

pathollywood
06-20-2012, 04:31 AM
Larry, fortunately I am going to go to AirVenture this year with my mother, because she wants to go see aviation like myself, and the Steve Miller Band :)

So, I won't be needing any rides up there now. I would sure love to meet with Chapter 821 sometime and hopefully become a member.

Also, everyone else I hope to see you all when I am up @ AirVenture!

Feel free to keep posting tips and whatnot, I love to read them and make note.

Thanks again, everybody!

pathollywood
06-24-2012, 08:32 AM
Had a quick question if someone can answer it.

What is time should we leave for Oshkosh to arrive plenty early and avoid traffic? We will be staying in Beaver Dam, so we need some extra time in the mornings to arrive early by car.

Matt Gonitzke
06-24-2012, 08:51 AM
I would leave at about 6:30 and stop for breakfast at Tabbert's restaurant on Hwy 26 in Rosendale, WI on your way up. The food is fantastic there. We've been doing that for 10+ years.

Bill Greenwood
06-24-2012, 10:36 AM
I only drive from Fon du Lac, but expect it to take perhaps 30 min from there until parked on weekday mornings, and perhaps longer than that on Sat morning.Looking at the map it looks like you are about 30 min drive further than FLD, so about an hour to Osh on weekday, and hour and a half on Sat.
Coming a little early in the day gives you some quiet time to look around the plane display areas and do so before the day gets too hot. I like to get there by 8:30n am or so.
One more thing I'd suggest is to have your group be folks that really want to be there, and it is not fun to drag a couple of kids who are too young or a lady or anyone who really doesn't like like planes around all day and listen to them complain about it being too hot or even too wet or the food lines are too long or the food or potties not good enough, etc.If it is really hot or remember that the museum and some hangar areas at Pioneer airfield will be cool and may be a good place for those folks to rest.

And please remember that if you do bring kids they need hats, sunglasses, sunscreen, ear noise protection, etc, just like adults, and more so.

gdevaux
06-24-2012, 07:27 PM
Congrats on being a first timer. I hope you decide to camp it's all part of a great experience. My Wife and I plus our 6 kids have been going for the past several years and found it un-complicated. Everyone you meet has a smile and very eager to help when you have a question. Use the bus to travel around the camp or trips town. Best way to get around. If we can help with more info just send me an email OK.

sherm
06-25-2012, 12:10 AM
Folks I am so excited to be able to come to the show I will be there sun the 22nd and in camp schollor
just reading this forum gets me more excited. I am a private pilot and this must be the greatest show in America. However we will be in with United Airlines and 1.45 hour layover in Chicago, yuk ohl well.
I hope to meet a lot of good folks, its gonna be a blast..

gdevaux
06-27-2012, 08:53 PM
First time or tenth time every year is exciting. You will feel like someone painted a smile on your face for sure. Good shoes a must, remember sun block and enjoy...

Bill
06-27-2012, 10:02 PM
First time or tenth time every year is exciting. You will feel like someone painted a smile on your face for sure. Good shoes a must, remember sun block and enjoy...

And don't forget plenty of water. For the last 30 years that I have been coming to the EAA Convention / Airventure (take your pick) there has been plenty of free water available if you look for the drinking fountains spaced around the site and fill up there.

Inspector Fenwick
06-28-2012, 07:22 AM
Don't forget yer talcum powder......just sayin'.....