PDA

View Full Version : Sure fire way to stop mice??????

andrew2
05-27-2012, 09:02 AM
Anyone have a preventive measure "that works" for keeping mice out of an airplane. The damage and associated cost to repair the mice damage to my C150 is considerable. Thanks

flyingriki
05-27-2012, 09:37 AM
Have always set traps in all 8 corners of the t-hangar and it seems to catch them before they can cause damage. Never had a problem.

Kyle Boatright
05-27-2012, 12:04 PM
I leave bait out in my hangar 365 days a year. I figure any critters getting in my hangar will find the bait before they build a condo in my airplane. Even if they get into the airplane and die, I'd rather that than a long term mouse house somewhere in the airframe.

WLIU
05-27-2012, 03:30 PM
You don't have a hangar cat? Or are you feeding yours too much?

The best way to keep mice out of your airplane is to fly it regularly.

Best of luck,

Wes
N78PS

steveinindy
05-27-2012, 04:08 PM
Wasn't there a post a while back about a guy who had come up with something that went around the wheels to keep mice out? I did a search but came up empty handed.

Bill Greenwood
05-27-2012, 05:00 PM
Several ways to combat mice. Ist make sure there is no food or even food crumbs in the plane to attract the mice. But that is not guarantee. Put in a few sheets of that paper that you put in the dryer to make fabric softer, it really seems to work and is cheap and easy, mice don't like the smell, but it won't hurt pets. You can also get boxes of mice poison at the hardware store, and leave the open box in the plane. But it can spill and will only kill the mice, After they have already been in the plane and eaten it; might also hurt a cat or dog.
Borrow a cat and let it roam around in the plane for a few minutes, so the cat smell ( not long enough to pee) will deter mice.
Lastly,you can custom make a enclosure of thin sheet metal to fit around all the wheels so the mice can't climb up into the plane.
Finally have the airport keep the grass trimmed down so there are less field mice, and try to park away from any field if you can.

Wilfred
05-27-2012, 06:17 PM
About two years ago as I was starting my second RV a ferral cat appeared...I just happened to have some dry cat food, so I kept putting that out in a bowl by the hangar door every night. After a VERY long time the cat would come into the hangar to get food and water...months later I was able to touch him, although he would swat at me quite often. By now he has become a lap kitty and sleeps in the hangar way up in a storage cabinet on a folded up quilt. When it is cold, as over winter, there is a heat lamp for him. I also added a 'doggy door' so he can come and go as he wishes. He is now a permanent resident in the hangar.

The only mouse problem I have is that he catches them outside, hauls them in the hagar to eat, and leaves a pile of guts for me to clean up. It seems a small price to pay for the mouser service and the companionship he gives me.

Interesting to be able to tame a totally wild animal...he appeared with one ear chewed off, probably in a fight, or perhaps something a coyote did to him.

martymayes
05-27-2012, 07:42 PM
I used sheet metal around the wheels with pretty good success like the photos in this old thread:

http://eaaforums.org/showthread.php?875-OF-MICE-AND-AEROPLANES-Things-Every-Pilot-and-Aircraft-Owner-Should-Know.

But if you really want to get rid of mice get one of the electric mouse killers.

flyingriki
05-27-2012, 08:42 PM
about two years ago as i was starting my second rv a ferral cat appeared...i just happened to have some dry cat food, so i kept putting that out in a bowl by the hangar door every night. After a very long time the cat would come into the hangar to get food and water...months later i was able to touch him, although he would swat at me quite often. By now he has become a lap kitty and sleeps in the hangar way up in a storage cabinet on a folded up quilt. When it is cold, as over winter, there is a heat lamp for him. I also added a 'doggy door' so he can come and go as he wishes. He is now a permanent resident in the hangar.

The only mouse problem i have is that he catches them outside, hauls them in the hagar to eat, and leaves a pile of guts for me to clean up. It seems a small price to pay for the mouser service and the companionship he gives me.

Interesting to be able to tame a totally wild animal...he appeared with one ear chewed off, probably in a fight, or perhaps something a coyote did to him.

EXCELLENT story. We used to have one too and she did a good job. After several years she went away and we miss her. Just traps now. Would prefer a good mouser....

steveinindy
05-27-2012, 09:04 PM
I used sheet metal around the wheels with pretty good success like the photos in this old thread:

http://eaaforums.org/showthread.php?875-OF-MICE-AND-AEROPLANES-Things-Every-Pilot-and-Aircraft-Owner-Should-Know.

But if you really want to get rid of mice get one of the electric mouse killers.
That's the link I was looking for. Thank you Marty. :)

steveinindy
05-27-2012, 09:05 PM

Maybe "CLEAR PROP!" doesn't translate well into feline? ;)

about two years ago as i was starting my second rv a ferral cat appeared...i just happened to have some dry cat food, so i kept putting that out in a bowl by the hangar door every night. After a very long time the cat would come into the hangar to get food and water...months later i was able to touch him, although he would swat at me quite often. By now he has become a lap kitty and sleeps in the hangar way up in a storage cabinet on a folded up quilt. When it is cold, as over winter, there is a heat lamp for him. I also added a 'doggy door' so he can come and go as he wishes. He is now a permanent resident in the hangar.

I commend you for looking out for the cat (even if it is a "you scratch my back..." arrangement). The 'doggy door' idea is a great one that not a lot of folks would think of doing.

Joe Delene
05-28-2012, 01:31 AM
Just go to Home Depot or a farm supply store & get a 'bait house' for poison. Bait it up & set it in a corner somewhere. Any mice will find it before they get into your plane. Traps & cats require maintenance, poison is on duty 24/7. When it come to mice I like to fight with the gloves off.

rosiejerryrosie
05-28-2012, 06:44 AM
RE: the sheet metal guards to keep mice out.

Question - How would you use one of these on a taildragger?

martymayes
05-28-2012, 07:32 AM
Question - How would you use one of these on a taildragger? Same way. The tailwheel ring may be restricted in height but it still works.

steveinindy
05-28-2012, 09:20 AM
Question - How would you use one of these on a taildragger?

Stupid question, but couldn't you just figure out a way to prop the tail up a little so you'd have more clearance for the ring?

Same way. The tailwheel ring may be restricted in height but it still works.

A lot of mice species have a "vertical leap" of several inches. The common house mouse can jump 18 inches for example.

n43511
05-31-2012, 06:02 PM
I had a mouse get into my Archer over 20 years ago when I was based on a grass strip, shredding a box of tissues, pooping on the seats, and we found a small collection of debris below the floorboards at the next annual. It was gone after an overnight trip to another airport. Anyway, to keep that from happening again, I fashioned three barriers out of 12 inch aluminum flashing that I bought at a local store. The rings are large enough to encircle my wheel pants and they clip together at the front with two simple bends at the ends that I interlace. Takes 1 minute to install and I've never had another mouse. While you say that a mouse can jump 18 inches, I went on the theory that it would have little motivation to do that. I just eliminated the easy access to the wheels and thence to the cockpit through the vents or however the little bugger got in. One thing to consider, though: My airplane is hangered, so I don't have to worry about wind, snow, etc. knocking them down or open. Something to consider and they don't need to be fed or watered.

rosiejerryrosie
06-01-2012, 09:55 AM
Stupid question,

Thanks so much for that learned evaluation.

A lot of mice species have a "vertical leap" of several inches. The common house mouse can jump 18 inches for example.

That would mean that I'd have to lift the tailwheel at least 19 inches off the ground, then prop it up on something that would ensure that it wouldn't fall off, and encircle the whole thing with sheet metal. Right?

steveinindy
06-01-2012, 08:53 PM
While you say that a mouse can jump 18 inches, I went on the theory that it would have little motivation to do that.

Food and shelter are apparently powerful motivators of the rodent mind. I see your point, but one should not underestimate the basic instincts of animals.

Thanks so much for that learned evaluation.

I was actually calling myself stupid in that regard since I was not sure how that would work precisely so far as a taildragger is concerned. I wasn't sure if they could be stored "flat" with the tail elevated or not.

That would mean that I'd have to lift the tailwheel at least 19 inches off the ground, then prop it up on something that would ensure that it wouldn't fall off, and encircle the whole thing with sheet metal. Right?

I dunno. It was just a technical thought process and something of an engineering quandary. I've never tried dealt with the issue directly so I was just posing a question.