PDA

View Full Version : J3 kitten

patrickbrockhaus
05-26-2012, 09:56 AM
I am restoring a J3 kitten, needs a whole new wing built. I have a Rotax 337, set up with dual bing 54's. fuselage is done. I'm alittle bit worried about making U/L weight. Any help and/or advice I can get from Kitten flyers past or present would be greatly appreciated. (anybody got plans?) Thanks,patrick.

jimtho
05-31-2012, 06:22 PM
Having built and currently owning a J-3 Kitten, I can tell you that it is extremely difficult to meet Part 103. Your best bet is to do as I did and register it .

martymayes
05-31-2012, 07:57 PM
Having built and currently owning a J-3 Kitten, I can tell you that it is extremely difficult to meet Part 103. Your best bet is to do as I did and register it . Jim, just out of curiosity, how much does your airplane weigh now in current form?

jimtho
06-01-2012, 02:51 PM
My J-3 Kitten (fast back version) with Rotax 447, starter, battery, and wheel pants has a net weight of 410 lb. and a gross weight of
625 lb. It cruises at 65-70 mph at 5500 rpm and stalls at 40 mph.
I have two tanks holding a total of 10 gal of fuel.

patrickbrockhaus
06-06-2012, 02:54 PM
Difficult to make U/L weight? Darn tootin' Barely sqweeked by as built with a 227, no flight inst' or brakes. Your Kitten sounds like quite a machine! Did you do any airframe mods,(besides the fastback), to keep the strength/weight relationships as designed? When I put the new tubing in I kept the notchback for anumber of reasons. My thinking is that making weight with a "real" airplane wasthe Kittens' original purpose so I'll try. Composite wing? We'll see.

jimtho
06-07-2012, 10:52 AM
I bent the axles during early landings and made them solid by welding in a 4130 rod that just fit inside the axle tubing. I also replace the bunge cords with springs from Aircraft Spruce

martymayes
06-07-2012, 12:22 PM
My J-3 Kitten (fast back version) Hey Jim, you have any pics of you J-3 Kitten? I don't think I've ever seen the fast back version. If not, do you know of any pics on the internet? I'll look later but if you know any links I'd appreciate it.

jimtho
06-12-2012, 01:01 PM
I have pictures but do not know to attach to this reply.

martymayes
06-12-2012, 03:00 PM
I have pictures but do not know to attach to this reply.Thanks Jim. I googled pictures for "J-3 Kitten fastback" and variations thereof. I'm guessing there's not many fastback versions or the ones that have them don't own cameras.

patrickbrockhaus
06-13-2012, 07:02 PM
youtubej3kittensoundsawesomefast anybody ever see balanced tailfeathers like this on a kitten before?.......good low speed maneuverability,I think.

martymayes
06-13-2012, 08:23 PM
hey patrick, that link goes nowhere.

Bill Ladd
06-14-2012, 05:30 AM
Try this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U80dpU-rIN4

patrickbrockhaus
06-14-2012, 12:47 PM
Hello Jim, Just got to thinking, seeing that you have increased your weight by 35% and bent your axles upon landing have you done anything about your wing spar?

patrickbrockhaus
06-14-2012, 12:51 PM
Hi Marty, I just googled you tube and typed in j3kitten when it came up. good luck

martymayes
06-15-2012, 06:42 AM
Got it. I did see the youtube video the other day when I was searching for a pic of a J-3 Kitten 'fastback' version.

jimtho
06-15-2012, 06:57 PM
No, but knowing what I know now, I would have made the main spar 1 in. higher since there is room. According to Tom Rhodes in "Stress without Tears" the main spar carries 2/3 of the load. My calculations show that my wing will take +6 -4 G at 500 lb gross, and at 625 lb, it will take + 4.8 G. That said, I do not fly in windy or rough weather, and slow down when it is bumpy.

patrickbrockhaus
06-17-2012, 10:44 AM
Hello Jim, Tom Rhodes's stuff is way cool,and your numbers are rock solid. I use Strojnik and we agree exactly. I wish more people realized just what wounderful little aircraft our kittens really are. Don't know your location but I live on the Olympic peninsula in Washington state. Bad weather waits in ambush, if it ain't a rock face or a canyon its 40deg, saltwater and some sob planted telephone poles 20 ft. apart over the rest of it. Its either dust off the calculus books or move to Manitoba. Got ahold of Jim Marske over composites for my new wing,looks pretty good.......fly happy!

patrickbrockhaus
06-20-2012, 09:05 AM
Hi Guys, Sorry about the rant. Decided to go composite for the new wing. Has anyone out there done this with a similar aircraft? Also, any thoughts on lightweight latex covering systems?

flyrcboy
07-10-2012, 11:35 AM
Hi everyone,

I have been fascinated with the J3 kitten and have interest in building one. I search the web for Hipps Superbirds and it appears they are out of business. How would I go about acquiring plans for this critter? Is anyone in the process of building this bird currently?

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

patrickbrockhaus
09-01-2012, 12:41 AM
Hello flyrcboy Been away for 2 months. I share your fascination. My kitten is going back together slow but steady. And I am still intent on keeping it 103 weight and notchback. There are no plans available, unless you know someone willing to violate their licence agreement, or has a complete one in pieces that could be measured up and photographed. It would take a pretty good builder to reverse engineer it, but..............

Fly_boy_bc
01-21-2013, 06:25 PM
There are no plans available,

Plans for the J3 kitten are available at CFAIR (Copyright Free AIRcraft plans) yahoo groups.

Specifically the Kitten is at http://ca.groups.yahoo.com/group/Cfair4/

If you want to see what else is available check out the Hub page at hubpages.com/hub/Copyright-free-aircraft-plans

CFAIR.....Got wings?

http://www.gifmania.co.uk/comic/Snoopy/woook.gifhttp://www.gifmania.ca/Snoopy/g.gif

Tateinnc
03-03-2014, 10:27 AM
Hi everyone,

I have been fascinated with the J3 kitten and have interest in building one. I search the web for Hipps Superbirds and it appears they are out of business. How would I go about acquiring plans for this critter? Is anyone in the process of building this bird currently?

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Hello FlyRC,

I know this is a little late, but I thought would respond anyway. Mr. Hipp passed away back around 2008 or 2009. I don't think they ever had much of a website, if any. His wife Sharon and his son may still be producing the planes and/or supplying plans but I'm not sure. Their phone number is 828 - 749 -3986, or you can look up "Hipps Garage" in Saluda North Carolina.

Hope this helps!

Tate

DairingDaves Ultralights
05-02-2014, 09:44 AM
Hello from dairingdave in arkansas,you should try generac 990 4 stroke lawnmore eng way cool and rel.

ed kropf
04-17-2015, 10:08 AM
I have a set of wings never skinned in barn,, a nose cone mold and a Grover Aircraft Corporation J-3 Kitten construction manual great shape!!! Dad bilt 4 J-3 Kittens .. dad gone 1 set of wings left unskinned. MAY also have orignal set of blueprints Instrested in learning value,,, they are all for sale

beedee798
03-12-2019, 07:03 PM
I have a set of wings never skinned in barn,, a nose cone mold and a Grover Aircraft Corporation J-3 Kitten construction manual great shape!!! Dad bilt 4 J-3 Kittens .. dad gone 1 set of wings left unskinned. MAY also have orignal set of blueprints Instrested in learning value,,, they are all for sale
do you still have the wings and things for the j3 kitten.:confused:denny d. 330206 9961 leave a message and i will call you back . please help. building akitten for a history club.thank you denny d.