PDA

View Full Version : Somebody has a fan out there

Bob Dingley
05-18-2012, 03:30 PM
I saw the following "Letter to the Editor" in today's Pensacola News Journal.
Stunt plane
On most clear, sunny mornings, I hear a "stunt" plane flying over the Pensacola area (Cordova Park). Three questions about him/her: 1. Does anyone know who he/she is? 2. Is the plane a two-seater? 3. Can I please ride along with you one time?
– Larry Masino
Pensacola

Somebody has a fan in P'cola.

Bob

MEdwards
05-18-2012, 03:56 PM
Reminds me of the time I received the dreaded "Call the tower after you land" message. When I called, the controller wanted to go for a ride.

flyingriki
05-18-2012, 05:34 PM
Stunt plane
On most clear, sunny mornings, I hear a "stunt" plane flying over the Pensacola area (Cordova Park). Three questions about him/her: 1. Does anyone know who he/she is? 2. Is the plane a two-seater? 3. Can I please ride along with you one time?
– Larry Masino

EXCELLENT! Really Excellent! Good news for a change!

Tom Downey
05-18-2012, 05:36 PM
Yeah and after he calls the other person asks the FAA to look into the noise abatement issues.

Always know who you are talking to and why.

steveinindy
05-18-2012, 05:55 PM
Yeah, I smell a trap.

AndyNZ
10-23-2012, 12:48 PM
Yeh, a nice story, tinged by the possibility that it is the Fed's.

I bought a Tshirt at Oshkosh this year with a diagram showing the real 4 forces: Lift being dreams, thrust being money, weight being reality and drag being...FAA....

WLIU
10-23-2012, 02:26 PM
I would not get too paranoid about phone calls from the FAA. They will identify themselves when you answer the phone. If they call you, they already have data that tracks to you and they do not need to resort to indirection.

For my locale I am on the short list of pilots that the FAA contacts when there is an aerobatic issue like a noise complaint. I was an IAC Chapter President for 5 years and volunteering for that job comes with some greater visibility with the FAA. So periodically I will get an e-mail from the FSDO that has a Google Earth attachment that shows a radar track, including 3D depiction of the altitudes, of an offending flight. If the e-mail was not requesting info about a problem pilot I would regard the attachment as cool technology. It shows where the flight departed from, and where it ended. So if you depart from an airport with a staffed control tower, the inspector can get the N-number from the tower tape and/or records. The only step remaining is identifying who was flying the N-number that day. So when you go fly, it is best to assume that everyone knows who you are and where you go. And of course, don't do something stupid. If the FAA inspector asks me if I know who flies a particular N-number, I am obligated to answer truthfully......

Fly safe,

Wes
N78PS