PDA

View Full Version : Unattended Chairs on the Flight Line This Year???

ozzieandgracie
05-15-2012, 09:59 PM
What is the story this year about unattended chairs left along the flight line to "reserve" seating for those "chosen" people? We always see signs throughout the grounds stating that it is not acceptable to leave chairs unattended so that you may reserve your space and that unattended chairs will be removed. But, every year we see an army of empty chairs lining the flightline and many times there are event staff and volunteers right there that will do nothing about it. As an attendee I want to take the chairs and pile them somewhere off to the side so that we can sit there but realize that the last thing we want is confrontation. Is there going to be anything done this year to STRICTLY reinforce this rule or do we again have to take a back seat to an army of empty chairs?

Ron

FlyingRon
05-16-2012, 08:29 AM
I don't know where you have been, but the Vintage flight line guys (everything from the green-roofed communications building southward) has always been removed. However, you are SORELY mistaken if you think it has anything to do with fairness for people who want to watch the airshow. The chairs are removed because they are a hazard to the showplanes (we use the term loosely, every HOMEBUILT or VINTAGE aircraft that makes it to Oshkosh no matter how doggy is a showplane).

ozzieandgracie
05-16-2012, 10:08 AM
The problem that I was trying to state was that the empty chairs, at least in the viewing area that I have been in, were sitting there with no one sitting in them. It was very clear that they were being used to "reserve" a viewing space for the upcoming air show as they were folded up and laying on the ground in neat rows. I totally agree that unattended chairs are a great hazard to the aircraft, no matter what type of aircraft they are, AS WELL AS being very rude to other patrons that want to sit there and can't because of the row of empty chairs. I just want to know if someone will be enforcing this rule this year.

FlyingRon
05-16-2012, 10:35 AM
To my knowledge there never has been an attempt to regulate the rudeness, just the safety issues: no loose chairs, no one across the "burn line", nobody blocking in the access lanes. Blocking out spaces with anything but chairs (beach blankets, bags, etc...) has never been enforced. If you want "rudeness" enforcement, you better talk to airventure management because there has never been any attempt at enforcing that in twenty years I've been attending.

hydroguy2
05-16-2012, 02:52 PM
why don't you just sit in them? if some one comes along and claims they are theirs. Give them up, but not the spot. They might own the chair but not the spot.

martymayes
05-30-2012, 07:18 AM
I just want to know if someone will be enforcing this rule this year.

Yes, but unfortunately it's the same guy that's enforcing this bicycle parking "rule"

dbarnes
07-07-2012, 08:17 AM
Not that I entirely like it, I think what we're seeing is practical decision-making by flight line patrol volunteers. Today's camp chairs fold down into cylinders that are much less likely to be blown around than the flat-folding lawn chairs of the past. The risk of aircraft damage hasn't disappeared, but it's gone way down.

Inspector Fenwick
07-07-2012, 09:15 AM
Ahhh, yes....I remember the days when I thought I needed to be right on the burn line in order to see the show.....(c'mon, think about it folks)....the only thing I miss now is the view of the pilots coming down the line after their performance. I am more than happy to see the show from under the big wing of my 195, hopefully at least two airplanes away from the burn line.

FlyingRon
07-07-2012, 03:57 PM
Hey, all you have to do is volunteer for crowd control and you can watch the show from in front of the burn line.

rickatic
07-09-2012, 09:07 PM
While I have only been to the last 5 OshKosh's, this year will make six, the chair removal patrols were there until last year. After seeing chairs, folded or in their bags and secure, I asked the line patrol volunteers about a possible rule change. I was informed by two of these volunteers that the rule was changed just last year to allow properly secured chairs etc to stay along the flight line...just what I was told and observed...

Regards

malexander
07-10-2012, 05:20 AM
I'll usually just sort of "scoot" them aside, if I want to sit there.
I was told once by someone "hey, our chairs were there" I kindly responded "oh, nobody was sitting in them" then went on to ignore them. They got a a little pi$$ed, but who cares? I figured they'd get over it or stay mad a long time.

Once, a guy in a new pickup took up two parking places so no one would park next to him...............I did anyway.:) I squeezed in between the curb & the driver's door, he had to enter through the passenger's side.:)
I can really be a richard <gr> if I want, and you force me to.

rickatic
07-10-2012, 06:59 AM
I was told once by someone "hey, our chairs were there" I kindly responded "oh, nobody was sitting in them" then went on to ignore them. They got a a little pi$$ed, but who cares? I figured they'd get over it or stay mad a long time.

Once, a guy in a new pickup took up two parking places so no one would park next to him...............I did anyway.:) I squeezed in between the curb & the driver's door, he had to enter through the passenger's side.:)

Did you know the reason why he parked in such a manner...ie...did you see him park the truck? If not, you could only assume why he was parked in such a manner...your confrontational behavior is asking for a huge door ding or worse...same problem with moving someone else s property...

orvie6
07-10-2012, 11:37 AM
Are there provisions or areas for handicapped viewing of airshow? We have a mobility scooter and will have one other person more able to walk as an aide. Is it going to be difficult to find a place close to the flightline where one can actually see what is going on? NO, we dont plan on parking the scooter to reserve a spot, just want to know if we can see well without being 4-5 rows back!!
Wayne

Chris In Marshfield
07-10-2012, 11:44 AM
Hi Wayne,

Not that I can see on the map. But the airshow happens in the sky, and there's not a bad spot in the house in that regard. :cool:

http://www.airventure.org/images/av11_visitormap.jpg

Seriously, though, very little happens on the ground, so I wouldn't sweat it.

~Chris

malexander
07-10-2012, 05:48 PM
Did you know the reason why he parked in such a manner...ie...did you see him park the truck? If not, you could only assume why he was parked in such a manner...your confrontational behavior is asking for a huge door ding or worse...same problem with moving someone else s property...

Didn't matter to me. If he doesn't know how to park it, GO PARK IN THE MALL PARKING LOT, so as to not screw up the parking in the front of the restauraunt for everyone else. If he's afraid someone will ding it, GO PARK IT IN THE MALL PARKING LOT, so no one will hit it.
The main point is, if you don't know how to drive it, GO LEARN.
I drive busses, trucks, pull trailers, & all kinds of vehicles, even parallel park any of them. If it won't fit in a designated parking spot, I PARK SOMEWHERE ELSE.

Chairs on the flight line, If a person want to sit somewhere in particular, SIT THERE. But don't screw up the "parking places" for others.

Geez, you probably voted for Obama, didn't you?

Floatsflyer
07-10-2012, 07:25 PM

:( Yes you can be....but let's make it very clear so that there is no misunderstanding. No one is forcing you to be a confrontational, retributional, angry dick, you are doing that quite well all by yourself!!!

Floatsflyer
07-10-2012, 07:50 PM
Didn't matter to me. If he doesn't know how to park it, GO PARK IN THE MALL PARKING LOT, so as to not screw up the parking in the front of the restauraunt for everyone else. If he's afraid someone will ding it, GO PARK IT IN THE MALL PARKING LOT, so no one will hit it.
The main point is, if you don't know how to drive it, GO LEARN.
I drive busses, trucks, pull trailers, & all kinds of vehicles, even parallel park any of them. If it won't fit in a designated parking spot, I PARK SOMEWHERE ELSE.

Chairs on the flight line, If a person want to sit somewhere in particular, SIT THERE. But don't screw up the "parking places" for others.

The high level of your moronic posts leaves no doubt who you're voting for. Who says 'Politics makes for strange bedfellows?' Not in your case!

Eric Page
07-11-2012, 12:17 AM

...confrontational, retributional, angry dick...

...your moronic posts...

Really, guys? Is this kind of exchange necessary on EAA's forum?

Try this: when someone posts something you don't like, ignore it. Not every post demands, or even warrants, a reply.

Better yet, click on the offending user's name, click "View Profile," then click "Add to ignore list." You won't be bothered by that user's posts again.

Whichever you choose, please stop the bickering and name-calling. It's unpleasant for the rest of us who come here to enjoy a friendly discussion about aviation.

[/SOAPBOX]

Hal Bryan
07-11-2012, 04:23 AM
Eric is absolutely right!

No (irrelevant) politics and ​no personal attacks!